Lipo's in kids toys.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know lipo's have been in higher-end RC for a long time, and drones always, because of energy density. (Longest operating time from smallest and lightest package...)

But here is a charger and "battery pack" from a low-end RC. My son just used some birthday money to get a "cheap" RC Truck. This is neither high energy density, or needed. I feel this use of lipo's is asking for property damage from bad charging and disposal practices by the "unknowing".

Battery pack. (2) 18650's with each terminal brought out to a 4 terminal plug. So while it's labeled as 7.4V it really is (2) 3.7V batteries with all the connections available. Notice how LOW the capacity is for 18650's. These are very low for that size battery.
20220911_100905.jpg

The charger is a tiny USB adapter. It outputs (2) 3.7V connections. (I have not figured out if they are just in parallel, or independent outputs. There appears to be very little "smarts" on the PCB, and it gets HOT charging the battery. (Not to melting the housing, but hot to the touch )
20220911_100946.jpg20220911_101015.jpg

Then the plug on the truck uses the 2 outside terminals for it's supply. And jumpers the middle 2; putting the batteries in series to get the 7.4V for the truck.
20220911_101119.jpg

Hopefully I am overthinking this and it's not as bad as I am thinking. But what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I'd like to see very clear information, printed on the battery, telling the owner how to dispose of it.

I just learned about this, but since other companies might want to join in, maybe there should be (maybe there is?) an official organization maintaining a list of battery recyclers one can ship their old batteries to:

https://www.redwoodmaterials.com/recyclewithus

That looks like an interesting company. I'll look into them when I have some time....haha

One of my concerns is I know of at least a couple of trash truck fires traced back to discarded LiPo batteries. MANY people just don't realize they are flammable, and spontaneously ignite if broke open. (From rough handling or trash compaction...)

I know lipo's have been in higher-end RC for a long time, and drones always, because of energy density. (Longest operating time from smallest and lightest package...)

But here is a charger and "battery pack" from a low-end RC. My son just used some birthday money to get a "cheap" RC Truck. This is neither high energy density, or needed. I feel this use of lipo's is asking for property damage from bad charging and disposal practices by the "unknowing".

Battery pack. (2) 18650's with each terminal brought out to a 4 terminal plug. So while it's labeled as 7.4V it really is (2) 3.7V batteries with all the connections available. Notice how LOW the capacity is for 18650's. These are very low for that size battery.
View attachment 537193

The charger is a tiny USB adapter. It outputs (2) 3.7V connections. (I have not figured out if they are just in parallel, or independent outputs. There appears to be very little "smarts" on the PCB, and it gets HOT charging the battery. (Not to melting the housing, but hot to the touch )
View attachment 537194View attachment 537199

Then the plug on the truck uses the 2 outside terminals for it's supply. And jumpers the middle 2; putting the batteries in series to get the 7.4V for the truck.
View attachment 537196

Hopefully I am overthinking this and it's not as bad as I am thinking. But what are your thoughts?

Those are lithium ion batteries, not lipos.
https://www.batterypowertips.com/difference-between-lithium-ion-lithium-polymer-batteries-faq/

18650 is not the battery's capacity. It's 1200 miliamp-hours (mah), which is a fairly small battery and probably the right size for a low end rc car.
Yeah I know the 18650 is a size / type. Most 18650's that are rated 2500-4000mAh and I have seen higher. So 1200mAh is low for that physical size.

Latest posts

Back