Lipos for Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a quick lipo charging pro-tip... buy a balance charger that only requires the balanced plug, so you can leave your lipos wired to the altimeters. I also highly recommend buying balance plug extensions for the chargers and/or leave them in the avbay to make charging hard to reach electronics easier.

balanced charger (only):

https://a.co/d/b7pdnvd
Extensions:

https://a.co/d/1i2lOyO

I'm using Eggtimer stuff. I've got/using:
Apogee - 1S 110mH battery that comes with it (Adafruit) plus charger
Ion - 1S 350mAH battery that comes with it (again, Adafruit), same charger
Classic - 1S 400mAH battery - Amazon (1)
Quark - 2S 300mAH battery - Amazon (2)

(1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLLVQ2Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
(2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7856RX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charger came with (1). (2) uses 2S balance charger, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099K8XFG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got M/F connectors to hook up 1S, 2S batteries, plus a disconnect for power/arm switch(es). It's important to understand the myriad of connectors for these batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-COVID, I pretty much exclusively used Turnigy LiPos. Then they became scarce.
I switched to E-Flite, then they all but disappeared from the market.
For the past year, I have gotten good results from Ovionic LiPos (easily found on Amazon), but, recently, their smaller batteries have also started to disappear. They used to make some great 300mAh LiPos, now the smallest ones I can find on their site are 450mAh 2S LiPos. Still small, but not as small as the Turnigy 300mAh 2S.
Prices for all of them have, as we all know, gone up immensely in the past couple years.

I use the LiPos on all my Eggtimer and Featherweight equipment, but I use the Energizer 9V lithiums on my RRC3's and RRC2s. I know this does not meet your criteria of rechargeable or smaller than a 9V, but they are about 20% lighter than an alkaline 9V and they last darn near forever. I have one of them that has over 20 flights on an RRC3 and is still pushing 8.9 volts

PXL_20221209_101840021.jpg

They are not cheap compared to rechargeables, but since they last so long and work so well with Missile Works equipment, they are worth having in your range box. This tip won't help most people, but Chuck, you can benefit: they are literally half the cost in the Commissary. The PX where I am still charges full price, but the Commissary sells them for almost exactly 50% less than everywhere else. Whenever I am in the Commissary, I stock up on a bunch of two-packs.

Pre-COVID, I pretty much exclusively used Turnigy LiPos. Then they became scarce.
I switched to E-Flite, then they all but disappeared from the market.
For the past year, I have gotten good results from Ovionic LiPos (easily found on Amazon), but, recently, their smaller batteries have also started to disappear. They used to make some great 300mAh LiPos, now the smallest ones I can find on their site are 450mAh 2S LiPos. Still small, but not as small as the Turnigy 300mAh 2S.
Prices for all of them have, as we all know, gone up immensely in the past couple years.

I use the LiPos on all my Eggtimer and Featherweight equipment, but I use the Energizer 9V lithiums on my RRC3's and RRC2s. I know this does not meet your criteria of rechargeable or smaller than a 9V, but they are about 20% lighter than an alkaline 9V and they last darn near forever. I have one of them that has over 20 flights on an RRC3 and is still pushing 8.9 volts

View attachment 550037

They are not cheap compared to rechargeables, but since they last so long and work so well with Missile Works equipment, they are worth having in your range box. This tip won't help most people, but Chuck, you can benefit: they are literally half the cost in the Commissary. The PX where I am still charges full price, but the Commissary sells them for almost exactly 50% less than everywhere else. Whenever I am in the Commissary, I stock up on a bunch of two-packs.
Thanks

I know that this will likely NOT be popular with some here, but I've been using Amazon EBL 9V Li-ion batteries for years (since 2015...albeit away for about 5 years in between).

EBL 4 Bay 9V Lithium ion Battery Charger with 4 Packs 600mAh 9V Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries https://a.co/d/1JmcBPb

EBL 9V Rechargeable Lithium Batteries 600mAh Li-ion 9V 6F22 Batteries, Pack of 4 https://a.co/d/2P81OQh

They also are 600mah, which is pretty good middle ground and are available in different quantities and with or without charger combos.

I've used it dozens of times with SLCF, TRS, Eggfinder Tx, Quark, Quantum, etc and they've never failed me. YMMV of course and test, test, test!

Amazon Review ratings that are hard to match too.

Some other opinions & observations:
  • I've been looking for other lipo choices to replace these, but it's EXHAUSTING lol.
  • While I've just read you're looking for something smaller than 9V (I am too...or equal dimensions for obvious reasons), most 2S/7.4V are larger than 9v
  • 1s is smaller than 9v, but SLCF requires minimum 4V (?) and the 1s is usually low mah capacity.
  • There's so many different ones suggested and many aren't even available any longer.
  • The prices on the small ones are crazy...about $10 each shipped?
  • These 9v you can also use for other things like smoke detectors, etc and you'll always have a 9v on hand.
  • Edit add: If I somehow forgot the battery in the field or they need a charge or damaged/went bad (which hasn't happened to me yet), I can swap in an alkaline.
Sorry if anyone disagrees...just my opinions, which is what Chuck was seeking.

Last edited:
Venom 2s for eggtimer quantum
Specifically

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-430mAh-Battery-flite-Combo/dp/B016ZM28HY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1A7XAJH1VQUGG&keywords=venom+2s+lipo+battery&qid=1670603126&sprefix=venom+2s+%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-5

Meh those are 430s, can't find the 300mah on amazon anymore. :(

Found them on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352619363503

Tattu LiPos I've used with good success in my R/C cars and my drone (although I really suck at flying it). But never find a 300mah in it. Have bad results with Turnigy - rather use "Rhino", which have been ok with me on some of the smaller sizes for R/C crawlers. Wish that "Sky R/C" brand (whoever made them) hadn't disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only issue I've had was with the Eggfinder Rx LCD, where the higher voltage seems to make the LCD screen almost black.

When you go from the 4xAA to a 2S Lipo battery you'll probably need to re-adjust the contrast. The 4xAA battery pack can often run low on the 5V side, vs. a dead-on 5V output from the regulator on a 2S Lipo, so the contrast voltage may very well change. Once you adjust it for a 2S Lipo, you shouldn't have to mess with it again.

When you go from the 4xAA to a 2S Lipo battery you'll probably need to re-adjust the contrast. The 4xAA battery pack can often run low on the 5V side, vs. a dead-on 5V output from the regulator on a 2S Lipo, so the contrast voltage may very well change. Once you adjust it for a 2S Lipo, you shouldn't have to mess with it again.
Ah yes...I think I did go back and fix that. Thanks and I'll edit that part of the post.

Be careful when using LiPos, Even the small ones can crank out enough current to fry the altimeter's output transistors. Also, the protection circuit will cut off the battery if over current and will not turn back on. The altimeter will lose power and the main charge will not fire. 9V batteries self limit the current. (I've tested. Energizer Ultimate Lithium 5A, Duracell before the unannounced redesign 5.5A [cylindrical AAAA cells], after redesign and other cheaper 9V 2A. [stack of rectangular cells] I've posted pictures in other threads but don't have them on this computer.)

Be careful when using LiPos, Even the small ones can crank out enough current to fry the altimeter's output transistors. Also, the protection circuit will cut off the battery if over current and will not turn back on. The altimeter will lose power and the main charge will not fire. 9V batteries self limit the current. (I've tested. Energizer Ultimate Lithium 5A, Duracell before the unannounced redesign 5.5A [cylindrical AAAA cells], after redesign and other cheaper 9V 2A. [stack of rectangular cells] I've posted pictures in other threads but don't have them on this computer.)

Ground testing is important. Thanks for the advice.

Usually the manufacturers have battery recommendations for their products. Not all of the altimeters use 9v batteries.

Usually the manufacturers have battery recommendations for their products. Not all of the altimeters use 9v batteries.
But, I am pretty sure that most deployment capable altimeters will work with a 9v.

But, I am pretty sure that most deployment capable altimeters will work with a 9v.
Nope. Have to read instructions.

As example from Eggtimer Quantum

"For most installations, we recommend using a 2S 7.4V LiPo battery. You’ll need one that’s at least 300 mAH, since the Quantum draws 85 mA (it’s WiFi… that’s the nature of the beast). You CAN get away with smaller batteries, IF (and ONLY IF) you connect the fully-charged battery up right before flying. We’ve used batteries as small as 180 mAH in testing, but we have several fully-charged batteries on-hand and we change them with a fresh one after each flight. With a larger battery, you can take your time… an 800 mAH 2S LiPo is about the same size and weight as a 9V alkaline battery, and will last all day. That’s what we use for all but the skinniest of rockets. For smaller diameter rockets, we like the skinny packs used for Airsoft guns… they’re about 100m x 18mm x 12mm, so it’s easy to fit them on the back of the sled, and they have a lot of capacity… over 1000 mAH. "

Your need to ask Cris @ Eggtimer if 9v works. I recall him in another thread saying no for the wifi altimeters.

And another example Featherweight Raven can do either.

"An external battery and a switch are required. The Raven can be powered by any DC power source between 3.8 and 16 V. 9V batteries and single LiPoly cells of 165 mAhrs or less are the most common choices"

When I had two missile work altimeters, those both as I recall worked exclusively with 9v at least per instructions

I know that this will likely NOT be popular with some here, but I've been using Amazon EBL 9V Li-ion batteries for years (since 2015...albeit away for about 5 years in between).

EBL 4 Bay 9V Lithium ion Battery Charger with 4 Packs 600mAh 9V Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries https://a.co/d/1JmcBPb

EBL 9V Rechargeable Lithium Batteries 600mAh Li-ion 9V 6F22 Batteries, Pack of 4 https://a.co/d/2P81OQh

They also are 600mah, which is pretty good middle ground and are available in different quantities and with or without charger combos.

I've used it dozens of times with SLCF, TRS, Eggfinder Tx, Quark, Quantum, etc and they've never failed me. YMMV of course and test, test, test!

Amazon Review ratings that are hard to match too.

Some other opinions & observations:
  • I've been looking for other lipo choices to replace these, but it's EXHAUSTING lol.
  • While I've just read you're looking for something smaller than 9V (I am too...or equal dimensions for obvious reasons), most 2S/7.4V are larger than 9v
  • 1s is smaller than 9v, but SLCF requires minimum 4V (?) and the 1s is usually low mah capacity.
  • There's so many different ones suggested and many aren't even available any longer.
  • The prices on the small ones are crazy...about $10 each shipped?
  • These 9v you can also use for other things like smoke detectors, etc and you'll always have a 9v on hand.
  • Edit add: If I somehow forgot the battery in the field or they need a charge or damaged/went bad (which hasn't happened to me yet), I can swap in an alkaline.
Sorry if anyone disagrees...just my opinions, which is what Chuck was seeking.

"For most installations, we recommend using a 2S 7.4V LiPo battery. You’ll need one that’s at least 300 mAH, since the Quantum draws 85 mA (it’s WiFi… that’s the nature of the beast). You CAN get away with smaller batteries, IF (and ONLY IF) you connect the fully-charged battery up right before flying. We’ve used batteries as small as 180 mAH in testing, but we have several fully-charged batteries on-hand and we change them with a fresh one after each flight. With a larger battery, you can take your time… an 800 mAH 2S LiPo is about the same size and weight as a 9V alkaline battery, and will last all day. That’s what we use for all but the skinniest of rockets. For smaller diameter rockets, we like the skinny packs used for Airsoft guns… they’re about 100m x 18mm x 12mm, so it’s easy to fit them on the back of the sled, and they have a lot of capacity… over 1000 mAH. "

Your need to ask Cris @ Eggtimer if 9v works. I recall him in another thread saying no for the wifi altimeters.

"An external battery and a switch are required. The Raven can be powered by any DC power source between 3.8 and 16 V. 9V batteries and single LiPoly cells of 165 mAhrs or less are the most common choices"

When I had two missile work altimeters, those both as I recall worked exclusively with 9v at least per instructions
FWIW and just regarding my reco, the "9V" Li-ion batteries I use are actually 8.2-8.4v...I believe they advertise as 9v replacement due to the size and close enough voltage.
Screenshot_20221210_201049_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Tested two just now and same results:

20221210_200806.jpg

I do want to keep Chuck's thread on target and not on tangent (Battery thread, not a flight computer thread), however, I would think that HPR fliers need to keep a wide range of battery options available for various rocket/computer configs. I have probably 30 different LiPos and a bucket of Energizer 9V lithium's on-hand. It all depends on the size of the rocket. I know Chuck was looking for small 2S LiPo options, which seem to be incredibly rare right now (not sure I understand why the supply shortages hit the smaller batteries harder - higher demand, I imagine), but you have to look across a range of computers.

In this case, I don't see myself using Eggtimer WiFi capable computers in very small rockets - the boards are just too big. So, I pretty much always pair my Quantums up with 800mAh batteries or higher since they are in rockets that won't be affected by that weight and I want the battery to last all day.

If I am going for pure weight and size, I am going to use a smaller board, like the Quark, SLCF or RRC2L, and those can easily be used with a 9V or small LiPo.

Point is, the batteries need to fit the board and the rocket, so you need a bunch of options if you are going to build a variety of rockets. That's the main reason I am missing the 300mAh options these days.

I do often configure my Eggtimer WiFi boards with a logic battery and deployment battery. In the case of the Quantum, a LiPo for the logic and a 9V Lithium for the deployment works nicely (admittedly, this is not the "svelte and light" option).

I do want to keep Chuck's thread on target and not on tangent (Battery thread, not a flight computer thread), however, I would think that HPR fliers need to keep a wide range of battery options available for various rocket/computer configs. I have probably 30 different LiPos and a bucket of Energizer 9V lithium's on-hand. It all depends on the size of the rocket. I know Chuck was looking for small 2S LiPo options, which seem to be incredibly rare right now (not sure I understand why the supply shortages hit the smaller batteries harder - higher demand, I imagine), but you have to look across a range of computers.

In this case, I don't see myself using Eggtimer WiFi capable computers in very small rockets - the boards are just too big. So, I pretty much always pair my Quantums up with 800mAh batteries or higher since they are in rockets that won't be affected by that weight and I want the battery to last all day.

If I am going for pure weight and size, I am going to use a smaller board, like the Quark, SLCF or RRC2L, and those can easily be used with a 9V or small LiPo.

Point is, the batteries need to fit the board and the rocket, so you need a bunch of options if you are going to build a variety of rockets. That's the main reason I am missing the 300mAh options these days.

I do often configure my Eggtimer WiFi boards with a logic battery and deployment battery. In the case of the Quantum, a LiPo for the logic and a 9V Lithium for the deployment works nicely (admittedly, this is not the "svelte and light" option).

I am not focused solely on size so I think we can branch out. I am going to work on this thread this week and I plan to add the manufacturing suggestion in the first post. Please add any suggested batteries if you have larger ones and when you use them.

I am not focused solely on size so I think we can branch out. I am going to work on this thread this week and I plan to add the manufacturing suggestion in the first post. Please add any suggested batteries if you have larger ones and when you use them.
Thanks for the clarification Chuck.

I initially posted my info based on the original post that sounded to be more for gathering info in general for multiple cases.

I do understand the interest and sidebar into smaller batteries since I was also researching and trying it a while back and plan to revisit it next year, so that info is very helpful as well.

I use this 850mha 2S in my bigger flight computers and with Protons or Wi-Fi enabled boards. I like the 703048 lipo form factor, because it is almost the same size as a 9V and it packs a lot of power.

https://a.co/d/99Vdw95
I also recommend always buying the right male connector for lipos and not direct wiring them. I used to direct wire to altimeters, but the risk of shorting is higher when pulling them on and off often (fire = bad). I’ve flown hundreds of flights with these red JSTs and never had one fail. The connector is also a big consideration for me when buying lipos.

https://a.co/d/aXe33sb

To clarify, I am creating a thread to stick that lists battery options of our users. I have noticed a lot of threads and have received a few PMs with requests for help trying to find one that works with x altimeter. I just want to provide a thread that stuck to the top to help people navigate their purchase.

Do you want to include batteries that feel like they are OOP? I am thinking of the Turnigy and E-Flite batteries in particular. Hard to tell if they are gone for good or just suffering from supply chain issues.

Do you want to include batteries that feel like they are OOP? I am thinking of the Turnigy and E-Flite batteries in particular. Hard to tell if they are gone for good or just suffering from supply chain issues.

I am ok with Unavailable. I am trying to keep it up to date with the ones that are available.

I have used 2 x Turnigy Nano tech 300mAh with an PF Stratologger CF and a Eggtimer Quantum with mixed results.

20191220_102031.jpg20191210_212010.jpg20191220_102157.jpg

I found the batteries drained fast, only giving me one flight before requiring recharge. Maybe the drain was the Quantum WiFi..?
Just my £0.02..

I have used 2 x Turnigy Nano tech 300mAh with an PF Stratologger CF and a Eggtimer Quantum with mixed results.

View attachment 550469View attachment 550471View attachment 550470

I found the batteries drained fast, only giving me one flight before requiring recharge. Maybe the drain was the Quantum WiFi..?
Just my £0.02..
That's definitely the Quantum doing that- running a wifi interface takes a decent chunk of power, so you'll probably only get a few hours of life out of those. Running normal altimeters off those (Eggtimer or otherwise) you'll get days of continuous runtime.

That's definitely the Quantum doing that- running a wifi interface takes a decent chunk of power, so you'll probably only get a few hours of life out of those. Running normal altimeters off those (Eggtimer or otherwise) you'll get days of continuous runtime.
That's why I went with 1200 mAh 35C lipos for my quantum and mini switches.

Back