LiPo Enclosure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekcoR

Reaction score
I want to find a secure enclosure I can use to attach a LiPo battery to a avionics sled. I can find plenty for 9V, but nothing for a 3.7V 900mPh. Any thoughts?

Design and 3D print one, Lipo batteries are not standardized to the point that batteries like 9V are. A 1S 900mah from one vendor may vary dramatically in any dimension from that by another vendor all based on cell configuration (flat, round, rectangular) and containment (soft or hard case).

Wish I had a 3D printer. All my LiPos are for Altus Metrum GPS so are the same size. Do you know of anyone/company that will custom create?

There are several electronics sled vendors who might support them already Lab Rat Rocketry and SMT Designs rocketry are two that immediately come to mind. Additive Aerospace may well have one too.

Wish I had a 3D printer. All my LiPos are for Altus Metrum GPS so are the same size. Do you know of anyone/company that will custom create?

I can do you a custom enclosure. Give me some dimensions for your battery and specs on what you want, such as how you want it mounted, how big is the sled or bay etc. A picture of your battery will help too. I can do the whole dang sled if you want. Send me a PM/conversation and we can hash it out.

Do you need an enclosure? I use zip ties and that works fine for all the different types of batteries that I use.
For most of us, probably not, unless you are pulling some extreme G's. Because there is no "containment" on most lipo batteries, they can slump under high-G launches, making them look like a teabag, and shorting out.
Saw the results of a failed lipo at Black Rock one year (where there are some of the more powerful high-G flights), but luckily the backup used a standard 9v battery. Since then, I try to contain my lipos to prevent T-bagging.

For most of us, probably not, unless you are pulling some extreme G's. Because there is no "containment" on most lipo batteries, they can slump under high-G launches, making them look like a teabag, and shorting out.
Saw the results of a failed lipo at Black Rock one year (where there are some of the more powerful high-G flights), but luckily the backup used a standard 9v battery. Since then, I try to contain my lipos to prevent T-bagging.

That's a great idea to have a 9 volt as a backup.

That's backup, as in dual electronics, one on a lipo, one on a 9v
That's backup, as in dual electronics, one on a lipo, one on a 9v
I can do you a custom enclosure. Give me some dimensions for your battery and specs on what you want, such as how you want it mounted, how big is the sled or bay etc. A picture of your battery will help too. I can do the whole dang sled if you want. Send me a PM/conversation and we can hash it out.

I'll send some info later when I am not occupied by my day job. In the meantime, here is what the battery looks like,

Attachments

• LiPo batters copy.jpg
    LiPo batters copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
I'll send some info later when I am not occupied by my day job. In the meantime, here is what the battery looks like,

So with a little wiggle room to account for variations, we are looking at an interior well of 51mm x 31mm x 6mm. I was thinking along the lines of this 9V enclosure that mounts to the sled. The sled itself is 5.5" x 12.25"

Attachments

• battery enclosure.jpg
    battery enclosure.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 12
My current method is some 3M VHB tape plus zipties if they seem warranted (higher acceleration or small surface area). Velcro works too but takes up a small bit more space. If I ever get to the point of flights that might deform a battery I'll put the batteries in a machined aluminum case or even a fully machined sled.

So with a little wiggle room to account for variations, we are looking at an interior well of 51mm x 31mm x 6mm. I was thinking along the lines of this 9V enclosure that mounts to the sled. The sled itself is 5.5" x 12.25"
Too easy.
I may get a chance this weekend to tinker something up in CAD.

small lipo box.jpg
Nothing fancy, lid is a simple flat plate.
The base and lid is 2.54mm thick
Sides are 2mm thick.
Inside dimensions are what you posted.

small lipo box improved 2.jpg
Added a step to the lid, should be a better fit.

Last edited:
5 bucks oughta do it. And add actual shipping charges, can't be too much. Unless you want priority of course.
How many you want?

At $5 a pop, make me 4. I can send $30 to cover it all if you think that's enough with postage. If you email me at [email protected] I can give you my mailing address and also send you funds via PayPal if that is acceptable.

You can use hot melt glue to hold a LiPo to the sled, it doesn't crush it like zip ties, and it's not going anywhere. If you need to remove it, a gentle nudge with a heat gun on low will help you peel it off.

Back