Links to TRF member businesses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
I know there are a number of TRF members who have rocketry related businesses(Jim Flis, Thrust Aero, Jon's Rockets, etc.). Is there a listing of links to these businesses somewhere on TRF?

If not, I think it would be a good idea to have one. Of course, I know the vendors sometime supply links when they post, but it would be nice to have them all in one place to access. :)

KenParker

Reaction score
At the bottom of the "home" page is a "Links" button.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
Thanks Ken. I just recently "found" the 'view new posts' button the other day. It certainly made life simpler. :eek:

KenParker

Reaction score
Happy to be of service.

Man, I'm bushed. I've made five 11.5" X 3/4" thick bulkheads, plus eight 11.5" centering rings with 7.67" center holes X 3/4" thick. That's a lot of rings, folks! And 3/4" 16 ply plywood is pretty tough stuff. Thank goodness for drill presses, band saws, jig saws, and routers.

I think it's time for a power nap.

Missileman

Reaction score
I never bothered with the links at the bottom and frankly, after looking at them, I find it somewhat lacking.
There are quite a few TRF members/vendors are not listed.
An idea I think would be just peachy keen would be a sticky thread in the vendors section.
Not only would any vendor interested get their addresses listed but can tell a little bit about themselfs and their business.
I think this would be more usefull to me than a bunch of banner ads.
Just a thought and BTW I absolutely love this forum:D

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
The Links page is not just about vendors. The TRF FAQ tells you how to get your banner on the links page. Course nobody seems to read the FAQ.

BTW everything the vendors get here is free of charge. They get to annouce their new wares free, they get feedback from customers for free, they get a forum for discussing their wares for free. We at TRF provided the Links page as just a courtesy to our members so that they can get to sites without searching the entire forum for them. If you want to find out what a vendor is about click on the link. :)

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Milo

The TRF FAQ tells you how to get your banner on the links page. Course nobody seems to read the FAQ.

Are you also going to tell me to read release notes & instruction manuals? Or even, horrors, ask directions?

The only person on this forum liklely to exhibit that kind of behavior is Mrs. Bowhunter

The rest of us are guys....

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

Are you also going to tell me to read release notes & instruction manuals?
Spoken like a true IT pro. Information wants to be free, not nailed down in some help file or manual. Instructions are for end users. They won't use them, but at least you'll have something to read to them when they call with problems.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Milo
The Links page is not just about vendors. The TRF FAQ tells you how to get your banner on the links page. Course nobody seems to read the FAQ.

It seems only The Doug and I have asked for our personal sites to be there :eek: :)

Even the vendors who post here are not well represented.

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
I don't track them down myself. The links page is by request, if you don't ask I don't know you want yours out there. So if you want to be represented then you have to ask... "but you're gonna have to ask me nicely."

Ask and ye shall be linked.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
Just so you guys know...

In the initial incarnation of TRF we wanted to keep banners and In-Your-Face spamming to a minimum. We wanted users to come here and not be overwhelmed with ads. Vendors (We do appreciate them) and Users sorta forced to work in the same environment has run well for the direction of the forum. Putting any more focus on the vendors, at least I feel, will "tip the balance" and change the direction. So, I don't think you will see a sticky, links thread. But to not be completely harsh, we have offered and are still offering the Links page. If a vender wants some "recognition" then, as Milo said, the method is listed in the FAQ. It isn't that hard. :)

Oh, and just so you guys know... Milo and I worked on that FAQ page for no minimum of a month. No, it didn't take us long to code it, it took long to decide what went into it to be enclusive. So, read it, learn it, live it, love it, fear it... :)

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Good point Mr. Phil...

I guess I figure that everybody has my deep hatred of popup ads, javascript ads, and web pages so full of ads that you can't find the content.

I undersand that most sites use the advertising model to cover costs. But I must warn the companies that using such tactics as aggressive, in your face advertising can actually work against them. I will not visit some sites because of their aggressive advertising. And for the advertising model to work you need to keep visitors hitting your site... not running them off.

There's a fine line.... some sites have crossed it.

Fore Check

Reaction score
I agree Milo.

The online registration process for the NSL is a fine example. You submit your registration, and are *forced* to subscribe to email periodicals for money making schemes and - no joke - psychic hotlines, or back out of it entirely and not receive on-line confirmation that your registration has been received. That's terrible.

I spoke with the guy in charge of registration and stuff, and he said it was "to cover costs." Hmf.

rocket trike

Reaction score
As a vendor Ifeel that the way things are set up works great. this is one of the places I get the most hits from. I do have a banner in the link area and I asked to have it put there I was not asked. I feel if you wnat the vendors to be known here it is up to the members. We can post all kinds of infromation but it is the members who do the reveiws, say the good words about us and pass on their thoughts of the vendor. When I first started in here I like it because you were not pushed to purchase by having banners flkashed in your face or all over in the threads. I know we all put in our plugs in the threads but it does not take over the threads.

So the members just keep up supporting us small vendors and get the word out there about us. If you have a kit or product that you find to be of high quality post it here and let other know.

Tom

Latest posts