Link to Carl's glassing tutorial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxpower

Reaction score
Does anyone have the link to Carl's glassing tutorial? I thought it was in the old forums but unfortunately I did not bookmark it. That is assuming the server it was on is still around.

Thanks

Does anyone have the link to Carl's glassing tutorial? I thought it was in the old forums but unfortunately I did not bookmark it. That is assuming the server it was on is still around.

The old forums are (currently) unavailable.

However, all messages have been retrieved, and they will be available soon.

Please don't ask for a definition of "soon", but you can be confident it will happen before the next Presidential election.... ;)

Seriously, just a few issues to get out of the way before they're made available.

-Kevin

Not sure if it's what you were after, but Carl's fellow QUARK'er Zach Green posted a tutorial here.

How do you cut the fiberglass to get it the correct length to go around the tube? Especially without the edges getting frayed?

I tried Carl's method a couple of years ago. He does it while it is wet. If I remember he tacked down the leading edge with CA, wetted the tube, then rolled the glass around the tube. Then he ran a straight edge to create a nice edge. I tried this and I just couldn't get it to cut.

I just tried it dry and the same thing. This stuff is so hard to cut. I used a brand new razor blade too.

How do you do it?

I think I am going to pre-cut it on something flat. Either with scissors or a razor but press real hard. I will make the glass sheet a little to long. There will be overlap but once it is filled and painted, I don' think it will be noticeable.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

For cutting the fabric, I use a rotary cutter like quilters use. I cut the fabric a bit wider than I need, then let it hang over the edge of the tube.

Once it's cured, 80 grit sandpaper on a block, run perpendicular to the tube cuts the excess of quickly and easily.

I would recommend against tacking the cloth in place with CA, as this creates a point where you'll get no resin into the cloth, resulting in a weak spot.

-Kevin

troj, Thanks! I purchased one of those cutters today. we'll see how it goes. Also, I won't use the CA.

Thanks!

troj, Thanks! I purchased one of those cutters today. we'll see how it goes. Also, I won't use the CA.

If your wife does any sewing, make her really happy and buy one or two of the big cutting mats, and share them with her. They keep the rotary cutter blades sharp a long time!

Also, probably don't need to tell you this, but keep your fingers clear of that blade -- those puppies are SHARP!

-Kevin

My wife does do some sewing. I am going to wait until HL has a 40% off coupon and get a mat for us ;)

For my fiberglass project, my wife had a mat from her photography scrap booking hobby that worked well. It was too short to go the full length I needed but I moved it and continued the cut. A bigger mat would have been nice.

I am fiberglassing a tube for a mid power. I don't need to fiberglass it but I am practicing.

It is curing right now. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks

My wife does do some sewing. I am going to wait until HL has a 40% off coupon and get a mat for us ;)

For my fiberglass project, my wife had a mat from her photography scrap booking hobby that worked well. It was too short to go the full length I needed but I moved it and continued the cut. A bigger mat would have been nice.

My wife quilts, so like your wife, she already had a mat, but it was too small. So, I bought a larger mat, gave that to her, and took the small one for myself. When I need to cut fiberglass, I lay the two mats end-to-end, and it's wide enough for the full cut.

Waiting for a coupon is a good idea.

-Kevin

What do you fill with?

I don't have the lite filling epoxy so I was thinking of using water based Elmers wood putty.

What do you fill with?

I don't have the lite filling epoxy so I was thinking of using water based Elmers wood putty.

It won't stick well, or for long.

I use either auto body filler (polyester based, must be used outside, and with a VOC respirator) or an epoxy-based filler. The latter is preferred, but because I can get the auto filler locally, that's what I use most of the time.

-Kevin

Have you used West Systems with Phenolic Microballoons?

I have have both. I have used the microballoons to make fillets but not necessarily a filler for fiberglass.

What do you think of West Systems and the microballoons?
- Will it be lighter that bondo?
- Will it be any easier to sand than bondo?

Thanks

Have you used West Systems with Phenolic Microballoons?

Nope, but there's no reason it won't work.

What do you think of West Systems and the microballoons?
- Will it be lighter that bondo?
- Will it be any easier to sand than bondo?

How it is weight-wise depends on how much of the microballoons you mix in, likewise on ease of sanding.

Since you're just mixing it as a filler, and not structural, you can safely mix it to a very thick consistency, which will make it lighter and easier to sand.

If you wet-sand, you can control the dust more, as well.

-Kevin

Back