LightSail 2 Deploys Solar Sails! Looking out for it in the night sky?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
So I guess Bill Nye the science guy must he happy today

https://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/ls2-deploys-sail.html

The Light Sail 2 spacecraft is awesome! Demonstrating solar sail technology! Looking at the satellite tracker, I would assume you would be able to see it in the sky.

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=44420

Now I'm not a expert satellite watcher, nor have I ever succeeded (I always remember after it rains boo hoo!) But looking at the amount of reflective foil on LightSail 2 I would assume that it would be extremley bright if it reflects the sun on a perfect viewing position. Tell me what ya'll think. Can you see this? and If you can, will you be looking out for it? I want to try at least

Just wanted to share this cool news!

It should be decently bright, from what I understand. We just have to wait for its ground track to get a bit more north. When I last looked it would be only 12 degrees above the horizon for just a few moments this week for latitude 30.

It could be like an Iridium Flare.
If the sail is flat enough, if the angle is right, if you are in the right spot it would be really bright.
With Iridium the satellite is just barely visible before the flash lasting but a second or so the back to dim. We were in Africa and put in locations of camps while at a place with Internet. We could then entertain the locals predicting flashes in sky. It is possible to explain to someone who has never been in a school.
Sit outside looking up any night and there are bright flashes from (I assume) tumbling objects.

Which has really got the astronomers annoyed with the increased orbital fluff

Oh ya with Starlink too. When I was young, I was the kid who skipped all the astronomy and went straight for the satellite and rocket section in any space books, I don't really mind, but rather think it's cool. although I see why astronomers are annoyed. Better become satellite trackers instead once Space X sends 12,000 of em!

Back