Quantcast

LightSail 2 Deploys Solar Sails! Looking out for it in the night sky?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Just a teen who likes building rockets
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I guess Bill Nye the science guy must he happy today

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/ls2-deploys-sail.html

The Light Sail 2 spacecraft is awesome! Demonstrating solar sail technology! Looking at the satellite tracker, I would assume you would be able to see it in the sky.

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=44420

Now I'm not a expert satellite watcher, nor have I ever succeeded (I always remember after it rains boo hoo!) But looking at the amount of reflective foil on LightSail 2 I would assume that it would be extremley bright if it reflects the sun on a perfect viewing position. Tell me what ya'll think. Can you see this? and If you can, will you be looking out for it? I want to try at least

Just wanted to share this cool news!

MichaelRapp

Reaction score
It should be decently bright, from what I understand. We just have to wait for its ground track to get a bit more north. When I last looked it would be only 12 degrees above the horizon for just a few moments this week for latitude 30.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It should be decently bright, from what I understand. We just have to wait for its ground track to get a bit more north. When I last looked it would be only 12 degrees above the horizon for just a few moments this week for latitude 30.
Good point thanks!

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

MClark

Reaction score
It could be like an Iridium Flare.
If the sail is flat enough, if the angle is right, if you are in the right spot it would be really bright.
With Iridium the satellite is just barely visible before the flash lasting but a second or so the back to dim. We were in Africa and put in locations of camps while at a place with Internet. We could then entertain the locals predicting flashes in sky. It is possible to explain to someone who has never been in a school.
Sit outside looking up any night and there are bright flashes from (I assume) tumbling objects.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ISS tracker app on my phone. i try to time the nightly dog walk with an IIS pass overhead.

I'd watch for this too..
Yes I have the Iss tracker app too, but haven't been lucky yet, there' always a loud or something lol

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Which has really got the astronomers annoyed with the increased orbital fluff
Oh ya with Starlink too. When I was young, I was the kid who skipped all the astronomy and went straight for the satellite and rocket section in any space books, I don't really mind, but rather think it's cool. although I see why astronomers are annoyed. Better become satellite trackers instead once Space X sends 12,000 of em!