Lighting an old motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBoy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I plan to fly a KBA K700F at LDRS and was wondering if anyone had some tips on prep and igniter, I know it it 10 or more years old and want to make sure it goes on the first attempt.

I have soon of the KBA reloads. I flew one of the 38mm J520F recently. ..and did nothing to it.
All the other loads look great too.

I do have experience flying old loads..recently some 18 - 20 year old G64 and H loads..those take some work.

Tony

You should double-check and make sure that motor is OK to fly in CA. It's no longer on the certified list and I don't think that AT went through the process for OSFM approval, but could be mistaken, so double-check to make sure you're not disappointed when the rocket is safety-checked.

let's see, you will be in the Republik of California so..
thermite's out
Mag ribbon probably is, too.
I'd just get a big 'en and put some silicon on it, maybe roll it in BP (while on the field).
or use a piece of blue thunder on the ignitor

You should double-check and make sure that motor is OK to fly in CA. It's no longer on the certified list and I don't think that AT went through the process for OSFM approval, but could be mistaken, so double-check to make sure you're not disappointed when the rocket is safety-checked.
I emailed Aerotech last night and they said it is discontinued but certified.

WOW, I see it in black and white, but I have NEVER seen a M1845 or M3200 listed on ANY catalog other coming from the DR himself. Did Aerotech really market those loads in the past. All I remember is the M1450 white and M3500 Red. And just because a motor isn't on the certified list doesn't mean its not certified. Certs don't expire.

E-match on a dowel (1/8 is sufficient) with a few slivers of blue thunder will do you just fine.

I have used this method on everything that I can stick a dowel in.

I got a questionable look when I presented the igniter to the guy at the pad at SLI this past weekend... "This ain't my first rodeo," I said... :)

I don’t know the motor, but my practice with old motors is to cut away, or scrape, some of the old propellant inside the top of the upper grain core to expose some less oxidised propellant adjacent the igniter to improve ignition.

Dont suppose you have a bulkhead and nozzle for a Kosdon-KBA L2300 that you could bring to LDRS?

Back