Lightest / Smallest DD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is it so that the smallest / lightest commercially available fully redundant dual deploy is:
- 2x Bear SMT DD altimeters
- 2x Prairie Twister ( Archetype ) Cutters
- 1x Fruity Hyper-Mega-Ultra
- 1x Falcon Tracker
?

If replacing one of the Bears and one of the Prairies, what are the next tiniest options?

I normally use a raven and a bear smd duo, the bear stays in the rocket as I have multiple of them and I swap the raven between rockets.
I have asked about the option of adding a delay to the bears so they can be better utilised as a backup altimeter, and it might be added as an option when/if the board gets redesigned.
The eggtimer Quark is another very small DD altimeter worth considering.
There are a few different views on the subject, but I prefer to use 2 different altimeters in case I mess up programming one

The eggtimer Quark is another very small DD altimeter worth considering.
There are a few different views on the subject, but I prefer to use 2 different altimeters in case I mess up programming one

I have a couple of Eggs, but please do continue the discussion on " a few different views " . :)

Who makes the bear altimeters? I've never heard of them before.

https://rocket.payload.free.fr/

Looks like the smallest Bear DD altimeter the AltiDuoSMT is actually about 1mm narrower and 12mm longer than a Eggtimer Quark until the AltiDuoSMT Micro is done (no specs for it). The Eggtimer Quark might be one of the smallest currently available.

Looks like the smallest Bear DD altimeter the AltiDuoSMT is actually about 1mm narrower and 12mm longer than a Eggtimer Quark until the AltiDuoSMT Micro is done (no specs for it). The Eggtimer Quark might be one of the smallest currently available.

I have the AltiDuo SMT Micro; it is the smallest / lightest DD alti currently available AFAICT. The Duo-SMT-not-micro is unavailable.

"New altimeters are 51mm x 18mm and approximatly 7g
They use 1 cell battries (3,7V 400mA or 200mA should be enought) note that you can also use 2 or 3 cell batteries but it will be heavier so unless you already have them there is no point" --Boris de Reau

Good point on reminding me about finishing my Quark, though; need to get a solder station and some magnifiers.

Last edited:

I could make the Quark even smaller too, but you need a battery so there's no sense getting crazy about it...

The Quark doesn't quite fit in an 18mm tube, but if you sand a little off the edges and leave off the headers (just solder jumpers) it will. I did it once for fun, unfortunately the itty bitty rocket got lost in the weeds at Santa Fe Dam.

Back