Light/dark paints

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Light or Dark?

• Light base color, Dark details

• Dark base color, Light details

Results are only viewable after voting.

BsSmith

Reaction score
What is your favorite way to paint a rocket, do you like a light base color with dark details or a dark base color with light details?

Always paint light colors first, then darker - the dark colors will cover the lighter colors better than the other way around.

Always paint light colors first, then darker - the dark colors will cover the lighter colors better than the other way around.

Big ditto. Even if the majority of the rocket is dark colors, I paint the light colors first.

My interpretation of BsSmith's question is not what order to paint things in, but which color should dominate the scheme. I can't choose either of the poll choices because roughly half my rockets are one way and the other half are the other way.

I'm with Rimfire on both counts (question interpretation and choice). I guess it depends on the rocket and the paint scheme I am looking for. As it turns out, most of mine have a light base color and dark details - but that is probably mainly because most use decals are dark in nature and are intended for lighter rockets.

Back