The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Light or Dark?

• Light base color, Dark details

• Dark base color, Light details

Results are only viewable after voting.

BsSmith

Reaction score
What is your favorite way to paint a rocket, do you like a light base color with dark details or a dark base color with light details?

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Always paint light colors first, then darker - the dark colors will cover the lighter colors better than the other way around.

MKP

Reaction score
Always paint light colors first, then darker - the dark colors will cover the lighter colors better than the other way around.
Big ditto. Even if the majority of the rocket is dark colors, I paint the light colors first.

RimfireJim

Reaction score
My interpretation of BsSmith's question is not what order to paint things in, but which color should dominate the scheme. I can't choose either of the poll choices because roughly half my rockets are one way and the other half are the other way.

FatBoy

Random Part-time Hobbyist
Reaction score
I'm with Rimfire on both counts (question interpretation and choice). I guess it depends on the rocket and the paint scheme I am looking for. As it turns out, most of mine have a light base color and dark details - but that is probably mainly because most use decals are dark in nature and are intended for lighter rockets.