Lifting Bodies at MDRA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Zooch

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to help seperate the lifting bodies event from the D-12 Blow out event.

At the next MDRA launch (August 2007) I'll be doing a lot of intresting flying of my lifting bodies- here's a brief from the other thread on the history of my lifting bodies:

It's actually a design that I started working on back in 1973. I refined it in 1975 and my first balsa sticks and tissue paper version, called the Stuller lifting body… a name derived from that of a cute brunette I was chasing at the time (who could not have cared less about me by the way) flew that year. It took a long time to get the angles right and get it to fly. Keep in mind that I knew little about aerodynamics at the time- and almost nothing about how lifting bodies worked. I had seen a photo of an M2-F2 and perhaps read a paragraph about it, but that was pretty much all. (The Freeland Michigan high school library was not exactly a rich source of aerospace material.) What I reasoned was that a lifting body would slide along through the air rather than drop through it… hey… for kid like me, that was pretty abstract. Once I made the design sail, I scaled down the tissue paper version and piggy-backed it on a rocket similar to my Titan IIIC kit of today. When I launched it, however, the tissue paper blew out and the stick frame came tumbling back. That same year I submitted the design of the booster, the lifting body and the pad with service tower and... believe it or not... a mobile swinging service structure very much like that built for the actual shuttle by NASA, as a part of a take-home project for my 11th grade drafting class. That was about 4 years before work began on the Space Shuttle service structures- so I’d never seen the swinging service structure! It was just one of those strange coincidences- heck I just thought it was a cool idea. Anyhow, my drafting teacher came up and asked me to tell him about the design, so I did. He asked, pointing at the lifting body, "...and what's this?" I told him it was a wingless glider. He just quietly walked away. I got the project back and it was a “B-“ with the notation "I thought you'd know that gliders can't fly without wings." and a red arrow pointing toward the lifting body. Hey... at least he didn't write "You'll shoot your eye out!"
In the spring of 1977 I started work on the lifting body again- this time I made it out of sheet balsa. Only problem was that no matter how I ballasted it- it wanted to fly upside down! The solution... flip it over and put the fins on the other side and call the bottom the top! I renamed it the CRV for (Crumman Research Vehicle- CRV… another title stolen by NASA years later *doh*!) I painted it red and black to resemble the XRV from “Marooned.” The first one was launched on its designed booster, but the booster was mis-ballasted and it cartwheeled. The lifting body flung clear, but the booster was wrecked. The next one was an up-scaled version and, believe it or not, was launched aboard an Estes 1284 Space Shuttle booster. That one left the rod, pitched over a bit more than 90 degrees and plowed full speed into a plowed field. I salvaged a single SRB nosecone- everything else was trashed. Then on August 15, 1977 my stock Estes Orbital Transport booster successfully lofted the smaller version of the lifting body. In my notes it says that the lifting body glided just as good as the OT’s stock glider- and that says a lot! That was the last rocket I flew 25 years, because just a few days after the flight I packed up and moved away to college to learn how to pilot the real stuff and gave up model rockets.

Following my years spent strapped into the nose of assorted flying machines, I found myself in the model rocket business and have been trying to bring back some of my projects from my weird youth to aid me in being a weird adult. One of the things I want to develop most into a kit is the CRV lifting body, which BTW is the star in my cartoon strip “The Program” found at klydemorris.com. What I’m struggling with is finding the right booster to do it justice and be a good build in a kit. This August at the MDRA launch (25th and 26th) weather permitting, I’m going to be shooting all different sizes of the Crumman lifting body doing all sorts of stuff just to celebrate the anniversary of that first flight back in 1977. If or not it is out in kit form by then depends more on the US Patent office than anything else, however.

A few years ago, a pal of mine who works at NASA Dryden took one of my lifting bodies in and showed it to the late Dale Reed, the father of lifting bodies. He thought it was terrific and said it was also a pretty interesting hypersonic shape. Not bad for something designed by a teenager 3 decades ago.

Attachments

• 000trfCRV.jpg
    000trfCRV.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
Okay- now there are some pending questions- for example, one of the flights will have a cam onboard. In order to maintain proper airflow over the vehicle a windscreen of sorts had to be used. The problem is the best place to look through is at the peak of the upper angle- meaning that the window must have a seam or it must be bent sharply. I triesd the seam and it was not going to work at all. So next I tried some thin plastic. Problem there is that it is no where near being optically perfect. The good news is that the bend is way, way behind the focal point of the cam. After trying several types of plastic I finally settled on a sheet taken from a new DVD case. It seems to work well as long as it stays clean. The only distortion is way down at the bottom of the view where the angle narrows.

Attachments

• lb4trf01.jpg
    lb4trf01.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 37
I'll repost the Link to the Facet Mobile Paper Glider since it's based on a lifting body design.
https://www.currell.net/models/facet.htm

There's also a link to a Space Ship One paper Model that might help someone trying to reproduce a kit.
https://www.currell.net/models/ss1.htm

Another Interesting idea for a Lifting Body conversion is this paper model of the ICARUS from Planet of the Apes.

https://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/bonus-icarus-fiction_gb.html

There was also a few actual Rocket kits I located at Jim Z's site. one was The X-24 Bug
https://www.dars.org/jimz/ka-12.htm

Another was the Vulcan
https://www.dars.org/jimz/ka-10.htm

There's a wide selection of instruction sheets on Boost Gliders on this site, however I'm sticking to models that might be considered Lifting Bodies.

The Vulcan isn't a lifting body. My experience? It's a swirling body. :D Interesting smoke trails going up.

One of the things I'll be looking at is how the taller more narrow shape flies compared to the lower flatter version. For that I'll be launching two at the same time on the same booster to see how they fly back compared to one another. This equates to the fact that you are always messing with different shapes when it comes to lifting bodies.

Okay everyone... on the Thursday before the launch my main computer blew a power supply- the results went through the entire computer like a lightening strike- took out the mother board, video card, C drive...etc. Bottom line is that the machine just came back- it took two days for the data recovery to dig my files out of the damaged drives. Good news is almost everything was recovered intact. Meanwhile- I was running off of my laptop and using my back-up CDs (Yes- I'm one of those few people who actually backs up my hard drives onto CDs every few months just in case). Anyhow- we had super flying at MDRA and shot some great video which I amd only now getting to really look at. One sequence shows a spectacular staging of one of the lifting body carriers- pause with me while I attempt to see if my new machine can actually post the photos...

Notice in the second image you can see the first stage falling away with a jet of retrograde flame coming out- look at the vent window illuminated!

TRF01a.jpg

TRF02.jpg

The video from the onboard cam of the lifting body came out fair. In the flight the booster lifted off, pitched over level to the horizon, with the lifting body inverted and then went powering across the field inverted- the cam got a good view. At deployment the glider flew VERY well and was turned around looking back at the launch site- you can see the inverted mushroom cloud of the launch way in the background (I'm working on that image- will post soon) the lifting body seems to have stalled slightly twice before lainding quite gently. I have a solution to the boost pitch over in the works and we'll try it at the next MDRA launch.

Here's the image looking back at the launch site (upper left). The distortion in the lower picture is where the window bends.

TRF03.jpg

Will you release this as an accessory for your current shuttle kit? Like as a substitute to the Orbiter. I got a cool name for it: STS-Stuller Transportation System.:D:D

Much more testing to do before I start kitting it. I did, however, solve the first stage stability problems. That was done by placing a fence between the SRBs and the core stage.

Fascinating stuff Doc. Love the shots in motion. I look forward to anything else you have on this :)
Cheers
fred

This is a long way from being kitted- heck, I just solved the drop away SRB stability problem and I've been working on that for nearly 2 years! This time the two test flights went straight up and at staging the SRBs just dropped away like the real thing while the second stage zoomed up. After the first one I had to shoot two more just be sure it was not a fluke. I'll be flying more in this series on the 16th at the next MDRA launch. Meanwhile I'm repainting and doing some minor repairs while thinking of new, more fun places to put a cam. I'm also reviewing the video again looking for more cool frames.

I think the image of the first stage dropping away while still back-firing like a blow torch is one of the best I've captured so far.

The stage is set to fly more lifting bodies and get more video at this weekend's MDRA launch. I will not be there Saturday as I have another event to attend, but will be there VERY early on Sunday. I'll be shooting the lifting body with the cam onboard again- this time with it on one side of the booster and a spoof of it on the other side in the hope of getting a more "UP" direction in the boost and thus more in-flight video. Likewise I'll be shooting some of the others as well. I guess since all of my gear cams from boostervision.com survived last month's launch, I feel obligated to take them back out and kill a few of them this time.

Also flying will be the first test version of the Stage-Zero Mark II adaptation (which could make for an intresting crash). Most of the flights I have slated as all-weather cool no matter whats. In other words I'll shoot them rain or shine and even crashes will gleen cool video.

Results will be published on this thread.

I'll be there Sunday as well. Still haven't fixed my First up shelter from last month's episode. The manufacturer said they don't sell replacement parts. They'll replace the whole frame w/ free shipping if I can produce a receipt...fat chance now. I bought a piece of steel flat bar to reinforce the broken tubes, but haven't finished drilling and grinding them for proper fit, and probably won't have time to before Sunday. May I bogart a small piece of shade again???:rolleyes:

Zooch,

While on vacation to the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH last mont I saw these lifting bodies. I took pics in the event they were of any interest to you and others here.

Yes- one is ASSET, which was launced several times atop Thor boosters and the other is SV-5D which was called "PRIME." ASSET was used in temp. calculations and research and PRIME was used to test the reentry character (among other things) of its shape. The PRIME was also the shape that Hollywood used as a basis for the XRV rescue vehicle used in the movie "Marooned." Suggested reading on these would be "Space Shuttle" by Dennis Jenkins (Has a real good section on both these vehicles- it is an expensice book- but WELL WORTH the cost- check Amazon and e-bay for used copies) Also "Flying Without Wings" by Peebles and Thompson and "Wingless Flight" by Dale Reed.

Yesterday (Sunday Sept. 16) I did some interesting flying at MDRA and most of that was by way of a contraption you've not seen mentioned here- because I just dreamed it up on Friday. I am always thinking of new ways to fly the cams from boostervision.com and stranger and more dangerous places to put them. This one, takes the cake. I mounted the cam on an outrigger of sorts and thus had a sort of chase-plane view. I used a series of dowels to steady the cam and extended it’s wiring. I also placed a dead cam opposite the live one to counter-balance it. The whole contraption looks really weird and I had no idea if it would fly or not. Lucky I was launching at MDRA- they just shrug at such contraptions and push the button. In this case I knew that the video would be cool even if it crashed. I had no thoughts of making more than one flight because I figured the rig- the rocket and the cam would not survive. The aerodynamic questions alone are staggering. Cylindrical cross-sections can generate a lot of lift when an angle of attack is induced- so the dowels could act as huge canards. Also- I was asking the stack to do a huge amount of tasks in a single flight- lift-off, fly, stage, drop SRBs, fly on the second stage, deploy a lifting body glider, recover and shoot and transmit video and sound. Compared to flying one of those 3 fins and a nosecone rockets- that’s a lot!

I got to the field very early- fewer people there at that time and less folks to hit if things go real wrong. Neil the launch director also had no idea what this was going to do other than probably spread parts all over the field. It was the first launch of the day.

The crazy thing FLEW! Fairly straight and capturing the coolest video ever! It ran the whole mission and recovered in great shape- ready to fly a second mission!

In the following post- which I’ll be updating through out the day- are some stills from both launches. I could not do a third flight because the first stage broke a fin on landing after the second flight- But the rig is ready to fly again as soon as I’m ready.

4trf000b.jpg

Here's the view for the first flight. Taken 2 frames after ignition it shows (arrow) the plastic plug that held the igniter in the D12-0 bouncing out after striking the flame deflector.

4trf001b.jpg

Stagin'... The shock of staging caused distortion of the picture.

4trf003.jpg

...Ridin' on the second stage.

For some reason- the cam in this position cuts off at ejection- not sure why...yet.

4trf006.jpg

Those are great shots! I look forward to seeing the video.

Congrats on having the guts try that crazy (but awesome) setup.

Here's the second flight- the rocket went into a pretty good roll for reasons as of yet unknown, but the images are ia bit cooler...

Here's ignition...

4trf007.jpg

Back