"lift off" definition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
What is considered "lift off"?

When the first or last rail button / lug has cleared the rail /rod / tower?

(At what point is the rocket considered 'on it's own'?)

I just want to get the terminology right. And I've always considered it when the last lug / button has left the rail / rod.. When the rocket is no longer in any contact with the launch device.. (But I can see where the upper / first button leaving can be considered 'on it's own'..)

yeah, I'm reviewing a student paper, and English isn't their first language. So am trying to deduce / decipher what they mean, and what term they should be using.

they state "lift off" as being the moment the first button leaves the rail; the first moment the rocket is 'unguided and on its own' for the flight..

yeah, I'm reviewing a student paper, and English isn't their first language. So am trying to deduce / decipher what they mean, and what term they should be using.

they state "lift off" as being the moment the first button leaves the rail; the first moment the rocket is 'unguided and on its own' for the flight..

“lift off” is different than “free flight”.

starting to move upward is liftoff.

leaving a launch rod or rail is free flight. And that does not address if the Rocket is fin stabilized or uses a guidance system.

Back