Life Expectancy of Reload Casings....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuddrucker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how long a casing lasts on average, or how many launches one can get with them? This would assume that they are well maintained.

...Fudd

I've gotten 3 in on my 40-120 case, 2 G64s and one E16 (bad ejection) and have another 64 for it... it should last awhile. Just double check your assembly and it should last several years. Evan a CATO may not destroy it, if it CATOs it should blow the noxxle, not the case. Hopefully.

I have a 29/40-120 casing that I must have used at least 30 times maybe even more and it has been used with at least one of every reload that Aerotech makes for it.

The silkscreen label is completely gone and it has a few scratches but is otherwise fine. I'll probably stop using it when the threads become worn down and the closures don't tighten down securely or if I ever have a CATO that does it in.

Only thing is that if a closure is blown off during a CATO, it could possibly strip the threads of the closure and/or casing.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I've gotten 3 in on my 40-120 case, 2 G64s and one E16 (bad ejection) and have another 64 for it... it should last awhile. Just double check your assembly and it should last several years. Evan a CATO may not destroy it, if it CATOs it should blow the noxxle, not the case. Hopefully.

that will still ruin the case

My most flown casing is the 29 40/120, I fly alot of G64's in it. I think that I have close to 30 launches on it in about 5 years.

The closures still thread nicely and I have never had a blow-by with it so the ejection well and hole are fine. The paint was scratched off long ago but other then that its still going strong.

I think that the most common reason for getting a new case is loss. I have almost lost it several times and thought that it would never come back, but I have been lucky with this one. It even hung from a power line for a while until it was saved by the power company and returned to me a month later.

I think with proper firing and care they should last a good long time.

Scott

Latest posts

Back