Level up motor purchases??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I've finally finished my L2 project build and I'm about to take my L2 written test and do my flight.

But.....my local vendor might not have a suitable motor in stock. If local L2/L3 flyers won't part with a suitable L2 motor, how does one legally and properly procure a single 'level up' (in my case, an L2 motor) motor for their flight?

What's the proper protocol here? Will the prominent online vendors ship me one? Do I just fill out something in the 'comments' section with the online order? Call? I'm willing to order several other L1 motors that I want, so shipping/hazmat is a sunk cost anyway.

Email your local motor vendor in advance. If they don't have it, they can probably get it and hold it for you.

I did. Last I talked to him, he had nothing suitable and wasn't going to get anything any time soon. That's why I'm trying to find out how else to go about it, or how folks that don't have a vendor do it.

OK, I've finally finished my L2 project build and I'm about to take my L2 written test and do my flight.
But.....my local vendor might not have a suitable motor in stock. If local L2/L3 flyers won't part with a suitable L2 motor, how does one legally and properly procure a single 'level up' (in my case, an L2 motor) motor for their flight?
What's the proper protocol here?

Mail-order one!
Simple, works every time. You can always order +1 level motors (usually just 1, occasionally more). There are even a bunch of HazMat-free L1 and L2 AeroTech and Loki motors one car order (H130W, I180W, J520W, more from Loki).

By mail-ordering (from BMS, WM, Sirius, Loki, etc), you will save tons of money on the motors, get access to the full menu of motors from the actual manufacturers (AT, CTI, Loki), and avoid the hassle of arranging meetings with onsite vendors, who may or may not show up (BTDT, never again). Even if you have to pay HazMat, you will recoup that cost from savings on the cost of the first 1-2 motors alone.

Win-win for everyone, other than the onsite vendor who doesn't get to collect the markups.

a

I just got mine from a vending machine at a truck stop along I-80 just outside of Winnemucca Nevada, it was right next to the one selling AR15's. . . did I just type that out loud?

But seriously, as others have stated, most reputable venders will sell and ship you a single Cert-2 motor, can't remember if I needed a reference from an already qualified Cert-2 flyer or not.

Some vendors also have a cert special, where you get a free case in exchange for buying one or two motors of that cert level that fit the case. The vendor I dealt with wanted to know NAR/TRA number to get the deal. I don't know if those deals have continued in the era of price increases...

Call Wildman, he carries both CTI and Aerotech in L2 sizes and is one of the best dealers around! If you are a club member-you also save too on cost.

(815) 638-3200

Good luck-are you doing flight at Bayboro and on what expected date??

Fred

Sirius and BuyRocketMotors usually have the best non-sale prices on Level 2 motors. Both will ship you one for your cert, you just have to email them a photo of your Level 1 Card and tell them it is for your cert. David at Sirius will also ship you something quickly, if you need it. Tim at Wildman is chest deep in Black Friday orders right now, not sure how quickly he would be able to get something out the door.

If all else fails, I won't be at the MDRA launch in December, but I will be at the one in January. I currently have about 40 Level 2 motors on-hand, would be happy to bring you one if you go to that launch.

Call Wildman, he carries both CTI and Aerotech in L2 sizes and is one of the best dealers around! If you are a club member-you also save too on cost.

(815) 638-3200

Fred

Oh yeah, Bayboro for sure. Our (SEVRA) waiver is only 4K, and I'm planning on a flight higher than that, so it'll for sure be Bayboro. Fingers crossed that I pass the written test this weekend, then I'll do the flight as soon as I can after that.

(815) 638-3200

Fred

Agreed. Call Tim and he will get you straightened out. He's the only person I buy motors from.

What's the proper protocol here? Will the prominent online vendors ship me one? Do I just fill out something in the 'comments' section with the online order? Call? I'm willing to order several other L1 motors that I want, so shipping/hazmat is a sunk cost anyway.
I ordered my L2 motor and a spare from Magnum Rockets. My Prefect was putting in an order anyway and I was able to call and order mine and have them shipped together with his order. We shared hazmat and shipping charges and if something went wrong my first attempt I had a spare.

I would suggest getting it in advance of the launch. That's how I like to play it. Then you are not relying on somebody else to turn up to the event so you can fly. That's just the way I prefer it anyway. Same goes for casings. You can test fit them in the rocket and make sure there are no issues, or if there are you have a nice comfortable workshop to sort them out in. YMMV.

Why not take the test and fly same day/launch? Bayboro is a 2 day event.
Because I can take the test this weekend with SEVRA (my home club, where our home field waiver is 4K, and I want to launch over that altitude and on a field that is more 'high altitude recovery friendly') and then fly Bayboro on the 18th (where the waiver is well above where I'll be going).

Because I can take the test this weekend with SEVRA (my home club, where our home field waiver is 4K, and I want to launch over that altitude and on a field that is more 'high altitude recovery friendly') and then fly Bayboro on the 18th (where the waiver is well above where I'll be going).
It’s smart to do it the way you plan. That way you can concentrate on each part of the certification process separately.

Tom,
You don't have to pay haz mat for a level 2 motor unless you have one in particular
that simmed and fits perfectly for your flight and that motor requires haz mat shipping..
I have the entire Loki catalog in stock and there are 2 J loads for the 38 / 740 case that don't require haz mat to ship..
I don't know if you have the Loki case, but the savings on haz would be great..

Don't Aerotech and CTI have non haz J loads now ??

Teddy

Tom,
You don't have to pay haz mat for a level 2 motor unless you have one in particular
that simmed and fits perfectly for your flight and that motor requires haz mat shipping..
I have the entire Loki catalog in stock and there are 2 J loads for the 38 / 740 case that don't require haz mat to ship..
I don't know if you have the Loki case, but the savings on haz would be great..

Don't Aerotech and CTI have non haz J loads now ??

Teddy
Looks like the J520 is the only AT non-hazmat J load. It fits the RMS 38/1080 case. All of the AT DMS motors are hazmat. CTI doesn't have any non-hazmat loads, even down into MPR.

Looks like the J520 is the only AT non-hazmat J load. It fits the RMS 38/1080 case. All of the AT DMS motors are hazmat. CTI doesn't have any non-hazmat loads, even down into MPR.

I thought they had more non haz J loads than that..
I really am a fan of the Loki loads though, go figure, lol..
The J 326 Red and the J 474 Cocktail are both seriously cool loads and are non haz shippers..
But I don't know what hardware Tom already has..

Teddy

I try my best to purchase motors from my local vendor in Utah, Tim from Das Rocket Hobbies. However, wildman Tim, Teddy, Chris, Gloria and Robert... I know I'm missing some... are super upstanding folks. And loki research? Ooh la la! Something about snap ring hardware and graphite nozzles just... Well... I really like it.
Ken

I try my best to purchase motors from my local vendor in Utah, Tim from Das Rocket Hobbies. However, wildman Tim, Teddy, Chris, Gloria and Robert... I know I'm missing some... are super upstanding folks. And loki research? Ooh la la! Something about snap ring hardware and graphite nozzles just... Well... I really like it.
Ken

A wonderful sentiment coming from a man who's level 3 build went beyond scratch,, lol..
And certainly a smart thing to do if you enjoy your local vendor on the field in case you need anything..

What was that word used on your level 3 build again Ken ??

Teddy

For what it's worth, I'm planning on a Level 2 attempt with a Darkstar 3 and the Loki 474, partly because it's hazmat free.

A wonderful sentiment coming from a man who's level 3 build went beyond scratch,, lol..
And certainly a smart thing to do if you enjoy your local vendor on the field in case you need anything..

What was that word used on your level 3 build again Ken ??

Teddy
Ooh, uh, well, I built the rocket and flew it on an L but haven't done my L3 cert yet. Things, life, moving. I'm just getting back into rocketry as of late. It's good to be back!
Ken

If this is a Bayboro launch I have a number of J and K reloads. Aerotech, Loki and CTI in J and Aerotech in K. I am sure I would have something that would work for you. Do you have a case yet? I normally am at every Bayboro launch but do not bring my motor inventory so contact me in advance.

If this is a Bayboro launch I have a number of J and K reloads. Aerotech, Loki and CTI in J and Aerotech in K. I am sure I would have something that would work for you. Do you have a case yet? I normally am at every Bayboro launch but do not bring my motor inventory so contact me in advance.

Yes, I plan on Bayboro on the 18th. I have every AT and CTI 54mm case, as well as a Loki 54/1200. I'll send you a PM.

Back