Level One Certification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbdetroit

Reaction score
I tried two years ago to join the club and was given the incorrect PO Box. I cancelled the check, but without a good address I never tried to join again due to not knowing where to send the application and fee.

I would like to know the requirements to join (valid address) and how to take the Level One certification test?

What do I need besides the rocket and a launch pad? Does the rocket have to be launched using rails or can I use a launch lug? Do I have to use a controller with 50 foot cords or can I use an Estes Pro-series II standard controller?

Thank you,
Joe Butera

You can sign up and pay your fee on line. No need to use the mail. See the links at the bottom. You only need to join one, plus find a local club and join them.

To certify level 1 high power, you need to build and fly a rocket that on an H or I motor and recover it safely in the presence of a certifying witness. There is no written test. Rod or rail doesn't matter, though I personally will not use any rod larger than 1/4". A rocket too heavy for that gets rail buttons. A Pro-series II controller does not have a long enough wire to launch high power rockets. Rather than getting your own equipment, you should look for a local club. They will have launch pads and sufficient controllers and take care of the needed FAA waivers, you just need to bring your rocket and motor.

https://www.tripoli.org/Membershiphttps://www.nar.org/join-nar/

I tried two years ago to join the club and was given the incorrect PO Box. I cancelled the check, but without a good address I never tried to join again due to not knowing where to send the application and fee.

Which club? Are you referring to a local rocket club, or a National organization such as NAR or Tripoli?

The local club does not issue the certification. They only provide the launch equipment, waiver, and flight witnesses (with coordination of course)

The National organizations (NAR or Tripoli) are the certifying organizations.

The general chain of events:
-Join either of the national orgs (which one does the local club fly under? a club can be both a NAR section and a Tripoli prefecture)
-Contact the local club to learn their flying schedule and ensure you'll have a flight witness for your attempt (Either a L2 flier, or two L1 fliers)
-Attend the local launch, bring the filled out certification form, get your rocket inspected, and fly!
-Mail in your signed off cert form to the national org
-Receive your high-power card in the mail

I would like to know the requirements to join (valid address) and how to take the Level One certification test?

What do I need besides the rocket and a launch pad? Does the rocket have to be launched using rails or can I use a launch lug? Do I have to use a controller with 50 foot cords or can I use an Estes Pro-series II standard controller?

Thank you,
Joe Butera

Hi Joe,
The minimum safe distance for an H motor, which is the minimum sized motor you can use to certify Level 1 is 100 feet. You will not need to provide your own launch equipment and some places may not even allow other people to use their own launch equipment. Their RSO and LCO are required to have complete control of the range. That's just less stuff for you to worry about anyway.
In North America you'll need to join one of the three certifying organizations: Tripoli, NAR, or CAR (in Canada). Tripoli has a form that works both for joining on-site as well as accomplishing your L1 certification:
https://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Membership/TRA New Membership Application v1.1.pdfIt has the correct address already on it. Otherwise you can certainly join online. That's easiest usually:
https://www.tripoli.org/pp_payments
NAR has similar resources. I think the CAR has a form you print and send in.

I firmly believe that any high power rocket should be flown from a rail rather than a rod. It's more rigid and leads to less rod whip, which increases the chances of a vertical flight. Some clubs (probably most) still allow rods. I carry them in my launch trailer (I host our launches) just in case, but I highly recommend rails for everything H and above.

You can sign up and pay your fee on line. No need to use the mail. See the links at the bottom. You only need to join one, plus find a local club and join them.

To certify level 1 high power, you need to build and fly a rocket that on an H or I motor and recover it safely in the presence of a certifying witness. There is no written test. Rod or rail doesn't matter, though I personally will not use any rod larger than 1/4". A rocket too heavy for that gets rail buttons. A Pro-series II controller does not have a long enough wire to launch high power rockets. Rather than getting your own equipment, you should look for a local club. They will have launch pads and sufficient controllers and take care of the needed FAA waivers, you just need to bring your rocket and motor.

https://www.tripoli.org/Membershiphttps://www.nar.org/join-nar/

Thank you for the reply. I am in East Lansing so I figured that the Jackson club would be the closest. I usually launch in Saginaw and I don't know of any chapters in the Saginaw or Lansing areas?

I built my rocket like the Apogee website (Tim Van.) recommended. I think that I am about ready. One question: can I purchase an H128 at the launch or do I have to purchase one ahead of time? I used RockSim to simulate the flight using the H128 and overriding the total weight of the rocket. I think that I can handle the recovery. Of course I will bring my PC and rerun the simulation prior to the launch with the updated weather conditions.

Thank you

There may be a closer club but this one is very good and should have everything needed to support you. It's the opposite direction from Lansing but should be close to the same distance.

https://www.michianarocketry.org/
They launch in the late fall/winter since the site is a farm. I think the next launch is scheduled for October. The site should have all the info on it including how to join.

One question: can I purchase an H128 at the launch or do I have to purchase one ahead of time?

You will have to ask the club that you decide to fly with. Some have vendors that show up to launches and some, unfortunately, do not. I was spoiled for a long time flying with Tripoli Wisconsin and having Wildman at almost every launch, only to discover the joys of paying hazmat shipping fees after moving away from the Midwest.

Just to get a feel for things, Joe, what have you flown with A through G impulse motors? You can learn a lot about builds, recovery and flight characteristics in low and mid-power flights that you can apply to your L1 attempt. I've seen far too many people try for their L1 on their first ever flight with very mixed results.

I have launched A-G motors, Estes, Quest Jets, and Aerotech's. I have been using Rocksim to calculate the weather cocking launch angle and the drift. So far it has proven to be very accurate as long as you do the simulation right before the launch with the updated weather conditions. I talk a compass and a long legged protractor to title the launch pad into the wind. I know that angle is not one hundred percent accurate but, I have been able to recover my rockets so far.

I have launched A-G motors, Estes, Quest Jets, and Aerotech's. I have been using Rocksim to calculate the weather cocking launch angle and the drift. So far it has proven to be very accurate as long as you do the simulation right before the launch with the updated weather conditions. I talk a compass and a long legged protractor to title the launch pad into the wind. I know that angle is not one hundred percent accurate but, I have been able to recover my rockets so far.
You’re really better launching vertically rather than tilting into the wind. Tilting into the wind leads to weathercocking and high speed deployments. Some people even tilt away from the wind.

WSR (NAR 703) may be launching at the ROCI field in Muncie on the 20th of this month. A bit of a drive, but if the weather is good you may want to consider it. Muncie is not our normal field as we typically fly in the Dayton/Springfield, OH area.

Hi Joe, glad to see you here. I did not see anyone mention that you are allowed to purchase one motor for you cert flight, be it in person or online. Myself, I wanted my cert rockets RTF at the field, so I had everything before. You can make sure everything fits and that all CG and CP locations are correct. Yes, buying online you pay a hazmat fee, but since you launch A-G's, you could combine the order with some smaller motors and the fee is less painful that way. I am very lucky to have Off WE Go Rocketry at our flights, Gary has lots of stuff, so buying from a vendor is great. Always good advice. Good luck.

There may be a closer club but this one is very good and should have everything needed to support you. It's the opposite direction from Lansing but should be close to the same distance.

https://www.michianarocketry.org/
They launch in the late fall/winter since the site is a farm. I think the next launch is scheduled for October. The site should have all the info on it including how to join.

I tried this club, but so far the Jackson MI club has not replied, by email or phone: https://www.nar.org/local_club/the-jackson-model-rocketry-club-jmrc-620/ . I see the you link you posted above is a different club, so I will give that club a try. The Jackson club does not seem to be in operation anymore.

Thank you,

Joe Butera

The Jackson club is still there not launching right now because of the virus. Team 1 up by flint launched yesterday. i was there had a great time recertified lev 1. They will have a launch the 3rd sat of the month thru the summer.I
they did have vendor on site. The web site is brand new i n full effect yet. Nice group of people i intend to go back for the July launch.

Last edited:
I would like to join the Flint chapter, if possible. Flint or Jackson, either one, is close enough to me. I always launch up in Saginaw, so Flint isn't a bad drive. Do you have a contact at Team One?

Thank you

From the Michigan Team 1 website. https://team1.org/ALKAY.html
"Team,-1 has a NEW launch site just north of Flint, and west of Clio Michigan at the ALKAY Airport (old name is Cagney)"
I heard a rumor from their motor vendor " https://www.impulse-buys.com/ " that they are launching July 18.
That is only about an hour away from you.
If I can join and pay the membership I will be there.

Thank you

Back