Level II Certification design & build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been brainstorming and planning for a long time. The last few weeks, I have measured and calculated and tried my best to accurately produce the upscale Rocksim file. Of course I don't know how its built as far as mounts and couplers and such but I can figure all that out on my build based on my parts. I am going to use an old Binder Design Raptor/Cobra kit that I have; to build an upscale version of the Sky-Tec Antares model with from Argentina, that I fell in love with. This will be my LVL 2 Cert Model.

46265833_10216082762154659_3209071564955844608_n.jpg

Of course I know it looks like a boat tail on the end but I have wanted to use a Tail cone motor retainer for about three years..... And this seems like a good model to incorporate one into. Only problem I now face is that I am worried about the length... Upscaled, it comes in at over 98 inches tall. I made two files so I can play with it for a bit.... The true scale version and the shorter version, which doesn't require me to purchase any additional Kraft tubing from LOC. And the 54 mm motor mount tube I have is only 17 " long. Seems my TTW Fin tabs would have be short in length if I used only my Raptor/Cobra parts.
The Rocksim photos show both versions.

Having trouble posting images....Here are the two Rocksim photos......

Attachments

• LVL-2 Scale Version .jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
  • LVL-2 Short Version .jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
Let me first say thank you to the Argentina clubs and to Jorge for sharing his beautiful model on Facebook, and to SkyTec.
Turns out the hardest part of the design for me is trying to match the fins. Each photo makes them look a little different. The trailing edge is what I am talking about.
In some photos the trailing edge appears 90 degrees to the body, others it appears to cant fwd and then others make it seem to sweep aft. Any one from Argentina that can chime in please feel free.....
Or if you somehow got a kit, please let me know if my fins are accurate. Notice my two image shots from RockSim have slightly different fins.
Here is the shot of my kit parts I will be using.......

20190316_082910.jpg
Then of course a shot of the fins that I am trying to duplicate.
Fin Can.pngAntares F   (Cropped).jpg

Ok so my project got put on hold before it even really got started.......

Have to get the house ready for 11 more family guests, my eldest Son is home for a bit, before he heads overseas for a year.......
and we just hit a deer; so now we have to go car shopping......

Drats The rocket will have to wait....

Back