Level 3 process

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have picked a rocket. I have a plan. When do you contact a TAP? Do you start building and put on paper first?

I have picked a rocket. I have a plan. When do you contact a TAP? Do you start building and put on paper first?

Put it on paper first, then have a sit down with your TAPs and go over what you have planned and then they can comment on any changes needed. Once they sign off on your design then the build process begins.

I'd suggest contacting a TAP member before setting your heart on a particular rocket. They may suggest alternate plans depending upon your experience level, their experiences, budget, the local flying field, and any number of things. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with the project and try to have fun!

I have decided to build the nuclear sledgehammer by giant leap. I am going to upgrade it a little:

1) Replace the nosecone from the 7.5 loc plastic to a 7.5 PML fiberglass.

2) I am going to use a a Missile Works and either a parrot or PML copilot. I have a third ebay on that design, but I am not sure if am goign to put anything in it.

3) I am going to use some aluminum ejection canisters I am going to make on the mill I bought.

4) I am going to use the CTI M1670 blue motor.

I will post more as I begin the formal write up.

Here are some pics. I am going to put a Garmin tracker in the nose cone. I like the design. The fins are fiberglass sandwich.

3-d-bottom2.jpg

3d-top2.jpg

side.jpg

Looks like a great plan to me. Good luck. I'm sure your TAP's of choice will have no problem approving that one.

Note: Most L3 failures happen due to deployment failures. Make sure your attachments points are rock solid. I would use a deployment bag system I have had 100% success when using D-Bags. Giant Leap as a nice bag setup for there TAC9 line of chutes. :)

I am absolutely going to use the giant leap Tac 9 with a D bag and likely a pilot chute.

Chuck

Both TRA and NAR have detailed procedures for L3 certifications on their respective websites.

Bob

I am going to be talking to my TAP next weekend about my L3 attempt..

Last edited:
I am going to be talking to my TAP next weekend about my L3 attempt..

Have you identified both TAPs? If not, if you're in need of a second, let me know and I can probably help you find a good one.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine got his level 3 on a Nuclear Sledgehammer. That is a very cool looking rocket. He had hoped to use this rocket - big and heavy - to be able to fly some larger motors at our home HP launch site. However, he made the triple av-bay as shown in the kit. It is a PITA to prep. Since it takes so long to prep, he rarely flies it. If he flies that rocket, he limits what else he plans to fly at a given launch.

He painted his with House of Kolor large metallic paint (almost flake) - red and gold. The thing glitters in the sun and looked awesome when he flew it on a smaller skid (L1400). It does a very slow but true liftoff on that motor.

Make sure you have friends with strong backs. That is a heavy thing.

The lengthened Nuclear Sledge Hammer is definitely a very stable and proven design. GLR makes very nice kits.

Best of luck on your L3!

I chose the sledgehammer because I need to watch the altitude in Orangeburg, SC. The weight is a plus.

I still have a little to work on. I need to do a wiring diagram. How did your friend wire it.

Chuck

Have you identified both TAPs? If not, if you're in need of a second, let me know and I can probably help you find a good one.

-Kevin

<slaps forehead>DOH! Forgot about needing 2 TAPS..I have one identified, guess if you could find a 2nd one that would be great!;)

Back