Level 2 Study materials

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMJ

"Where the heck'd it go!"
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good source of 'need to know' study materials for passing my L2 exam. Not looking for wishy-washy answers, nor any newbie 'slams'... "Just the facts, please!" :)

I'm looking for a good source of 'need to know' study materials for passing my L2 exam. Not looking for wishy-washy answers, nor any newbie 'slams'... "Just the facts, please!" :)

You can get a practice test with all the answers here.

The questions on the actual test will be some of the ones in the study guide. You won't know which ones, but there will be no surprise questions.

you can find ALL of the information contained in the NAR L2 test on the NAR website ( https://www.nar.org/ ). read through the HPR section starting with the overview, then the hpr safety code, and ending with the section on filing for an FAA waiver. knock yourself out on the study guide/test (which has the entire pool of test questions, I still find the question about Ti amusing:)).
Rex

Wait wait a minute, there is a test for certifications? Is this a formal test?? Or more like asking questions on the fly before flight?

for NAR lv2 there is a written test(37 questions, multiple guess) you can get (I think) up to 5 wrong and still pass. the test is required BEFORE the cert flight. one can take up to a year between test and doing your cert flight. just got through the test bit so, it is still fairly fresh in memory :).
Rex

Wait wait a minute, there is a test for certifications? Is this a formal test?? Or more like asking questions on the fly before flight?

What Rex just said. It's a written test for L2, prior to certification launch and a successful recovery of such...

OOPs I thought you were going Tripoli route. I am TAP for Tripoli, can't help with NAR. Be sure to mention you want NAR certs when contacting Airfest personal.

I looked into what Rex said. I put L1/L2 in the same category.
L1. Application for cert
L2. TeSt for cert
L3. Scratch build DD and steps documentation.

When is your L2 flight? Watcha flying?

I've got a 'competitor 3', first opportunity for me is the end of August (Eat cheese or fly).
Rex
*lv3 does not need to be a scratch build, more than a few have flown Wm kits.

OOPs I thought you were going Tripoli route. I am TAP for Tripoli, can't help with NAR. Be sure to mention you want NAR certs when contacting Airfest personal.

Hey Jim... I'm actually going 'both' routes! LOL I've already joined both Tripoli 'and' NAR, just haven't recieved my card from Tripoli, yet. It's taking 'FOREVER' to get here... :confused2:

I recently joined TRA myself but don't remember it taking that long to get my membership kit. Either way, it comes with the study guide and the answers. The answers in Part 2 of the study guide refer you to various publications, including TRA high power safety code, so you can see where they got the answers. The problem I encountered was the safety code on the TRA site wasn't the one they referred me to. But I finally found the one I need here:
https://michianarocketry.org/Safety/HighPowerSafetyCode.pdf
I think that is the one. It tells ya most everything. Your kit will come with a Safe Launch Practices reference card too, not sure why it didn't come with the safety code.
Mikey D

The certs of one organization are honored by the other. So you should be able to take the test and have the flight witnessed by either club and have the other honor it.

The certs of one organization are honored by the other. So you should be able to take the test and have the flight witnessed by either club and have the other honor it.

Once the certification process is complete one organization will honor the other but it is not usual to swap horses in the middle of the stream. The tests are different as are the rules for retaking the test. NAR says if you fail the test you must wait thirty (30) days before retaking it. TRA has two tests and says you can retake the test immediately by taking the one remaining but if you fail both A and B forms of the test you must wait seven (7) days before retaking it. NAR specifically states in their certification procedure that a Tripoli member may not participate in the certification procedure unless they are also a NAR member. This is just a clarification so no one is mislead. Most L2 certs that I have signed off on, either TRA or NAR, have had the candidate take the test and do their flight on the same day so it is usually not an issue.

I've got a 'competitor 3', first opportunity for me is the end of August (Eat cheese or fly).
Rex
*lv3 does not need to be a scratch build, more than a few have flown Wm kits.

Remember, "kit" can be a misnomer. Some "kits" are simply a collection of parts one will have to figure out on their own to construct. Not a problem if one has built a few FG rockets. Wildman has instructions that one can download and peruse before
purchase if desired for his offerings. Kurt

the flyer will have to get the approval from their tapp/ll3c before choosing any rocket/l3 cert project(or at least that is how I understand it).
Rex

FWIW, once taken and passed, the NAR L2 exam is good for 1 year so there is no rush to get the cert flight in. When the cert. flight is performed within that year is up to the applicant. I've seen it done both ways - right after the test or at a later time.

the flyer will have to get the approval from their tapp/ll3c before choosing any rocket/l3 cert project(or at least that is how I understand it).
Rex

I disagree with that. There are plenty of L3 capable "collections of parts" or kits and having to get someone's "blessing" is stupid. In TRA a person could work in obscurity (ie. out in the boondocks where TAPs are few), present the appropriate paperwork
in advance, get the rocket inspected and do the attempt. I remember one fellow in TRA over 13 years ago had to make 7 trips to a TAP for inspections during the build. That was entirely out of line and not the norm anymore.

Then there was the time I witnessed a fellow show up at a major launch who previously sent his paperwork to his TAPs, approved it, he shows up with a perfectly fine candidate rocket and with one of the TAPs present, he makes the successful launch, recovery and is a new L3.

It is what it is in NAR so one better get a note from their mother so they can build their candidate rocket.:no::yawn: Kurt

Thanks guys!
I think that I have found what I was looking for. It's dated 2012, but that's the most recent hit that comes up via Google.
https://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Certification/Advanced Study Guide 2012-update.pdf

Yes that is the guide included with the members kit, you'll see the answers in Part 2 refer to the Safety Code. Unless you just memorize the answers, you may want to read through the safety code I linked to above. The answers will make more sense.

Yes that is the guide included with the members kit, you'll see the answers in Part 2 refer to the Safety Code. Unless you just memorize the answers, you may want to read through the safety code I linked to above. The answers will make more sense.

Thanks, Mikey! In reading through the material... I don't think I'll have any trouble with the technical part, with exception to the 'hybrid' questions. I know what hybrids' are, but haven't really had an interest in such, yet. I'll need to bone up on that subject! Safety? Yeah, I'll need to study up on 'that' part a bit, as well. Up until now, I've mainly been focused on the tech stuff. Now that the fun stuff is winding down, guess I'd better focus on the safety aspects. :)

Someone had an 'app' (Android if I recall) for 'quick flip / cue cards' for the NAR L2 test. I'm looking for the link, if anyone knows..

In order to study for the test, I had my wife flash me.

FLASH CARDS! Geez, what did you think I meant? :grin:

In order to study for the test, I had my wife flash me.

FLASH CARDS! Geez, what did you think I meant? :grin:

Now that's the 'BEST' idea I've heard, YET!
Only problem is that me and the Mrs. are both over 50. I doubt that the TAP's would appreciate being 'flashed' by the Mrs. with every question... wait a minute... I just read the last line of your post... "Nevermind!" :surprised: LOL

Latest posts

Back