level 2 rocket (my first)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipper

Reaction score
Looking for advice on what rocket would make a good first skill level 2 build. Not quite ready to build yet (still working on Sizzler/Baby Bertha) but doing some future planning. I have read more reviews and opinions than I care to admit, but would like all of your advice (only because you seem like somewhat sane group of peeps). My first 2 thoughts are
1) FlisKits Praetor
2) Estes Big Daddy

Im leaning towards the Praetor for a couple of reasons
a) Already have 2 Estes kits and need to "expand my horizons"
b) FlisKits is now available at my local Hobby Shop - Thanks Jim!!
c) How many business owners (like Jim) are involved in an internet forum such as this...with an genuine concern for his business.....

Im pretty sure my post here was a waste of time (mind already made up), but if anyone has other alternatives, I would surely listen.

Thanks for making us newbies feel welcome!! Means alot to me (and I'm sure others)

Ken

Originally posted by flipper
Looking for advice on what rocket would make a good first skill level 2 build. Not quite ready to build yet (still working on Sizzler/Baby Bertha) but doing some future planning. I have read more reviews and opinions than I care to admit, but would like all of your advice (only because you seem like somewhat sane group of peeps). My first 2 thoughts are
1) FlisKits Praetor
2) Estes Big Daddy

Im leaning towards the Praetor for a couple of reasons
a) Already have 2 Estes kits and need to "expand my horizons"
b) FlisKits is now available at my local Hobby Shop - Thanks Jim!!
c) How many business owners (like Jim) are involved in an internet forum such as this...with an genuine concern for his business.....

Im pretty sure my post here was a waste of time (mind already made up), but if anyone has other alternatives, I would surely listen.

Thanks for making us newbies feel welcome!! Means alot to me (and I'm sure others)

Ken

Ken, it's a tough call for 2 reasons: 1) both rockets vary in design enough that it makes the "technical" choice difficult (i.e. - the Big Daddy is a larger diameter rocket and overall looks bulkier and takes D power. The Praetor is sleek, has an airframe transition, and flat out flies unlike any other rocket with those long fins.) There must be some personal preference in what *type* of rocket you want to buy). 2) Your reasons towards leaning more towards FlisKits are purely unselfish and admirable. It's too bad the Estes customer base can't feel the same.

9 times out of 10 I'd say "Buy FlisKits! Buy FlisKits!", but hear me out on this one.

I think Jim (or any other rocketeer) would agree with me here - compare both rockets for their enjoyment value. Evaluate the likes and dislikes of each kit. Measure their worthiness on how much you will enjoy the product 1st. *Then*, if you are still undecided because you've determined that either rocket looks like a ton of fun - which it seems like you already have - then go with a FlisKits model rocket for the reasons you stated. In the end, so long as your are happy with your purchase then the bottom line is that this is what is most important. Jim prides himself on customer service and satisfaction and each purchase counts. Make sure you are happy with the rocket you want to build and fly first because ultimately you'll make a customer for life if you pick the right rocket the first time around.

Now for the real advice. :D Get yourself a Michael's 50% off coupon in tomorrow's newspaper. Buy the Big Daddy at Michael's for about $10 then with your savings place and order for the Praetor! LOL! Remember, when in doubt, buy both! LOL!

Sheesh! And I almost skipped over this thread because I misunderstood the title to me "level 2 (HPR)"... LOL

I ain't gonna lie to ya, the Praetor is a very cool rocket. As Eugenio said, though, you should buy the one that you will have the most fun with.

That being said, buy the Praetor.

:D :D :D

Which ever one you buy, just be sure to keep the forum posted on your build, your experience and how it all goes for you. And don't forget pix! :)

If you have any specific questions about the Praetor (or any other FlisKits kit), please feel free to ask here or send me an email.

jim

Didnt know Michael's carried any kits.....Ran straight up there after reading eugene's post (a whole 2 blocks away). Was so excited (hey 50% off is a good thing) only to get there and see a poor choice of rockets.

Great idea anyway, and will defintely look into the 50% off for paint, engines, etc...

Thanks!!

Simple solution: Buy Both! :D :D

I highly reccomend the preator, if you dont mind cutting your own fins out.

Phil

The Praetor is arguably the best flier & most reliable LPR in my fleet! Much like the Deuce's Wild! (another superb skill level 2 choice!), it's one of those "blank canvas" models where it allows for all kinds of super cool paint schemes :D

Just another Praetor lover... :cool:

I don't have a Praetor because they weren't any when I went to buy one at the Fliskit Anniversary launch. :( I had to "settle" for a Triskelion and a Cheetah. :D

But if you do buy a Praetor you won't be disappointed with the quality. Jim uses top notch components in his kits. :)

I do have a Big Daddy though. I got it at Michael's in the closeout aisle (the motor tube was crushed) AND they let me use a coupon so I got it for less than $8. But I'm thinking of using a 3 or 4 engine cluster in it.

I'll probably pick up a Praetor at one of the CMASS launches (the good thing is that Jim Flis will be there and I won't have to pay shipping)

I liked the look of it right away.

So like the others have said, plan on buying both. You can never have too many rockets.

Originally posted by flipper
Didnt know Michael's carried any kits.....Ran straight up there after reading eugene's post (a whole 2 blocks away). Was so excited (hey 50% off is a good thing) only to get there and see a poor choice of rockets.

Great idea anyway, and will defintely look into the 50% off for paint, engines, etc...

Thanks!!

Yeah, Michael's is hit and miss on their selection. Some areas of the US actually had bigger Estes kits such as the 4" V-2 and others. They are great for buying Blast-Off-Flight Packs with that coupon.

One other *technical* note about trying to decide - the FlisKits Praetor will give you more of a challenge during the build. The Big Daddy has precut fins with a pre-slotted body tube. With the Praetor, you have to cut your fins from finstock and you'll have to use a fin marking guide to position the fins. In my opinion, the Big Daddy may as well be a Skill Level 1 kit.

Flipper,

Haven't done BigBertha or a Praetor so can't offer an opinion there. Rather than start another thread, wanted to weigh in on Michael's selection. Today I went all excited with my 40% off coupon figuring I'd bolster my A or B engines supply. Nothing but B42s A103Ts (at least 30 pkgs.) and D power. I've built most of their inventory that I want to. Ended up getting a HiFlyer for $3.25 and running over to Hobby House (our local non chain) and getting a (replacement) Ion Pulsar. And then to the beer store. Anyway thanks for sharing Flipper, I will say it's great to move beyond Estes and whatever your choice, have fun.

Andy T

9/26
launch a few before the soccer teams get out there(?)
clear coat: "long overdue"
finish building: "Fat Boy" to be possibly renamed "C Biscuit"

Back