Level 2 Certification Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al, I wish I could have the words for your time and effort you gave me. I really feel bad about the time I took away from your day, You and your wife were not only memorable but critical to my day. You selfishly gave your time towards helping me which I will never forget, You and your wife were both a pleasure to meet and I look forward to the next time we see each other... Something tells me there will be something dropped on your table. :)

Yeah..I realize that.. But also realize its people like you and your wife that makes this sport such a joy to participate in.

I looked into Kate, She is 2385, kinda hard to hide that number from my wife..

but then again, 2500 feet isnt 7,000 feet.. Sometimes math isnt my strongest point...
(evil grin)

[video=youtube;z0y10V4yQ-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0y10V4yQ-I[/video]

That's crazy that you did it without a tracker, and not seeing the apogee event. Did you catch any of the down part of the flight?

Didn't see anything, the rocket got really small really quick, I was lucky I found it.. real lucky.. probably should have tried an I impulse, but nooooo.. Let's stick this J into it and see what happens.. hahahahah

Congrats on the certification. You ARE crazy for flying that high without a tracker there in Berwick. The winds are unpredictable sometimes! I had a similar experience with my Vindicator JR and a longburn I motor there in Berwick to 5500 feet. Luckily someone saw it come down in the swamp and I was able to recover it. I picked up a GPS tracker the next week.

You DID get lucky - the cost of a tracker setup is less than the cost of a Wildman JR + altimeter + motor case + parachute. I won't fly anything over 3,000 feet without it, personally.

Glad you had a great day in Berwick! I wanted to make it but was not able to free up my morning. Sounds like the launch got off to a late start so it worked out anyway.

<sniff>

I guess that will salve my battered and bruised sense of self esteem. But I won't have a test to grade.

Feel better, Al. If you hadn't been there, that TRA kid and his large family would have driven all the way from NY for nothing. Granted, we all could have left the field much earlier but we found a nice new restaurant.

As to the thread topic, congrats, again, to Tom for his successful L2 Cert. It's nice when it all comes together and you pick up some more knowledge, too.

Yeah..I realize that.. But also realize its people like you and your wife that makes this sport such a joy to participate in.

I looked into Kate, She is 2385, kinda hard to hide that number from my wife..

but then again, 2500 feet isnt 7,000 feet.. Sometimes math isnt my strongest point...
(evil grin)

You were darned lucky to fly that rocket to that altitude and get it back. Plain simple. My Wildman JR on an old AMW J440BB went 5500 feet for a totally sight unseen flight that would have been lost completely if not for the Beeline GPS riding in the ebay with the Raven altimeter. A dozen flights on that bird and all but one was seen. Congrats and you don't have to cheat on your wife with Kate. There are cheaper alternatives out there for you. (Actually Kate is too large for that rocket!)

Kurt

Back