Level 1 to Level 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyterpsalot

Reaction score
Up till now I have only flown H motors. I am wanting to get my level 2 this year before my level 1 expires. Would it be reasonable to fly my level 2 cert. on a K if I have only flown H's so far?
The reason I am asking this is because I want to fly a K270 in my rocket so it seams more financially reasonable to go straight from the H to K. However, I am not sure if I will be missing any important steps along the way if I skip I's and J's. Thoughts? Concerns? THANKS!
:happydeer:

I have only flown a couple H motors and I plan to certify level 2 on a k590 in my talon 4 this spring. I think if you feel you are ready and know enough to do well, go for it.

Up till now I have only flown H motors. I am wanting to get my level 2 this year before my level 1 expires. Would it be reasonable to fly my level 2 cert. on a K if I have only flown H's so far?
The reason I am asking this is because I want to fly a K270 in my rocket so it seams more financially reasonable to go straight from the H to K. However, I am not sure if I will be missing any important steps along the way if I skip I's and J's. Thoughts? Concerns? THANKS!
:happydeer:

It depends on how you feel. There is not much difference in the assembly of an H to a K (well a few minor things) but is your building skills up to par? I noticed first hand the difference in building tecniques needed when I flew a 3 grain L compared to the 4grain K's I had been flying in the rocket.

Ben

Up till now I have only flown H motors. I am wanting to get my level 2 this year before my level 1 expires.
Your level 1 won't expire as long as you maintain your Tripoli or NAR membership. It will expire 1 year after your membership lapses. As long as the person(s) who will be witnessing the level 2 flight do not have a problem, you can use any certified J-L motor for your L2 flight. You do need to make the L2 flight within 1 year of passing the L2 test.

Back