Level 1 Flight Successful!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Well, after waiting for months on end for the launch date to arrive, I have finally achieved my Level 1 Certification. :D

I'd like to start off this post with a MAJOR shoutout to Bridgett Haislip, Brent Bierstedt, and anyone else out there who helped me over the course of my prep and launch. Also, major credits to Claudia (the girlfriend) who stood out there in the freezing rain to watch me launch 1 measly I motor.

It all started Friday, when my dad looked at the forecast and saw a large chance of rain on Sunday, of course. We kept our fingers crossed.

We woke up early today to reports of rain at the field. I called Ken at the field, who said that the launch was a go. We loaded everything up in the truck and started the 3 hour drive to the field, where it rained on and off the whole time. I got a bit nervous that I would have to scrub the launch and wait a few more months for another launch, maybe even LDRS, which I didn't want to do.

So, we get to the field (keep in mind it's about 40 degrees and drizzling), where there's a nice cluster of about 5 cars, and everyone huddled around their heaters. I hop out and ask if I can launch just 1 flight. They agree, and tear down the rest of the range, leaving me 1 pad for my flight.

I go to set up a few things on my rocket. But, my masking tape decides to puke on me. It won't stick to anything. Someone, not sure who, gives me a roll of duct tape. I proceed to use duct tape and zip ties for everything. It worked very well.

I prep all my charges. Takes me 3 times to prep my main charge because I can't feel my fingers.

Rocket is completely ready to go to the pad. And of course, it starts raining. I pick out my motor. I would have done it on a Loki load, but I didn't have a fast enough motor in my Loki 240 case, so I decide to put in my CTI Pro38 3G. Now, I got this motor from Jim S a while back at LDRS. I could have SWORN it said it was an I212, which was a nice Smokey Sam. No assembly, so I throw it in the rocket. While we wait, we huddle under our tent and watch the radar. There's a window that will appear in about 10 minutes, and that's my launch time. So we wait, and when the rain starts to die, I run this rocket out to the launch pad. I load it up, and turn on the gopro. Which is dead.

I run back to the tent, grab a new battery, throw it in, and I'm ready for flight. RRC3 is chirping nicely, Eggfinder coordinates showing, and I'm ready!

They let me hit the button. I give the countdown... 5! 4! 3! 2! 1! I hit the button.

Remember how I said I thought it was an I212? Well, my brain immediately got confused when I hit the button and saw this:

Level 1 Flight.jpg

Turns out it was an I180-SK. Nice lobbing flight up to about 1500 feet or so, where the drogue charge proceeds to give half of us hearing damage. :) Might have gone a bit overkill, but oh well. I wasn't taking any chances.

And then the horrid wait for the main chute. We wait. And wait. And wait. And that rocket (drogueless) is coming in lower, and lower....

And then the charge blows. Short walk, only about 200 feet or so.

At this point, we're all ready to go. Everyone else goes to break down the remaining launch equipment, and I run out to the rocket. PERFECT recovery. I even stuck the landing with the nose cone. :D Someone signs off my L1 form. As I sign it, my hands are so cold that the signature is more or less just a few scribbles that vaguely resemble my name. But it counts. And I have successfully achieved my Level 1 :D

Again, MAJOR thanks to everyone on the field. :)

Now to start planning the Level 2 flight.....

Attachments

• IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
congrats! I180 SK is a great motor.

Now you'll be broke for the rest of your life :)

Congrats on your L1. Nice job with the story line. Is that a Darkstar?

Wow , Level One ??

Thought it was a Level 2 thread , with that big skid and dual deploy electronics and a GPS tracker to boot !

Take the L2 test and throw a 5 , 6g, or 6xl 38 in that bird for a quick cert !

Even though CTI is inventory is constrained right now you can always find a pink motor somewhere ..

Congratulations !!

Kenny

Last edited:
Matt- So proud of you! Lesser men would have bailed but you persevered like a steely-eyed rocket man! i kept checking the weather back there and figured it was scrubbed. Got back from ROCstock and saw your post-awesome! I had my fingers crossed for you. That kind of determination will serve you well in life. Love you like a son-straight smoke and good chutes!

Well, if you have to fly a Skidmark by accident there is not a much better a day to do it on then when it is raining. LOL
Congratulations!

Sorry Matt I wasn't the one that signed off on your level one. I was already headed back to Burlington freezing from the cold rain when you flew. Looks like you had a great flight though. Hope to see you in Bayboro next weekend.

Heyyy,,
That's great Matt..
Good for you man...
There was never a doubt though,, lol...
A big congrats Matt..

Teddy

Wow , Level One ??

Thought it was a Level 2 thread , with that big skid and dual deploy electronics and a GPS tracker to boot !

Take the L2 test and throw a 5 , 6g, or 6xl 38 in that bird for a quick cert !

Even though CTI is inventory is constrained right now you can always find a pink motor somewhere ..

Congratulations !!

Kenny
Already got a motor lined up for the next launch. :) Just gotta take the test (those #$%^& NFPA questions are hard to remember).

Matt- So proud of you! Lesser men would have bailed but you persevered like a steely-eyed rocket man! i kept checking the weather back there and figured it was scrubbed. Got back from ROCstock and saw your post-awesome! I had my fingers crossed for you. That kind of determination will serve you well in life. Love you like a son-straight smoke and good chutes!
Thanks papa seagull! Always love your posts, they never fail to make me smile :) You still owe me a night in the official Papa Seagull Sono Tube lodge. ;)

Well, if you have to fly a Skidmark by accident there is not a much better a day to do it on then when it is raining. LOL
Congratulations!
It was a very interesting occurrence. I hit the button, and (because i had lost the CTI igniter), the CJ ematch with a bit of thermalite on the tip took a second to light the motor. And I was like "hmm.. that's weird... smokey motors shouldn't have sparks...." and then all (titanium sponge) hell broke loose. :) I had wanted to fly an I316 (Loki Skid) for the cert, but didn't have time to assemble the motor. So I just threw the CTI motor in there and said a little prayer :p

Heyyy,,
That's great Matt..
Good for you man...
There was never a doubt though,, lol...
A big congrats Matt..

Teddy
Thanks! You get to witness my L3 cert at LDRS in April, just remember. :D
A Skidmark motor? :lol: Doing it in STYLE! Congratulations Matt! ;)
Oh yes, but I didn't do it a la Uncle Gus and light the field on fire ;)

If you didn't set the field on fire.

Your NOT trying hard enough...:dark: Muuh ha ha ha! :lol:

I'd have liked to see you TRY to set that field on fire. You could have taken 3 boron igniters, added a half pound of thermite, and smothered the whole thing in gasoline, and you might be getting close to starting to dry it out.

The half mile ride into the field was unique. I think we had traction for a sum total of 5 feet... #4WDTruck

Congrats.

Wish I could have been there but my L2 bird didn't get finished in time or I would have been in the rain with you.

Congrats.

Wish I could have been there but my L2 bird didn't get finished in time or I would have been in the rain with you.

'twould have been fun. Of course, it was cold enough that I had to have my mom fill out the flight card because I couldn't hold the pen. :)

Congratulations Matt! You've also just qualified to fish for Largemouth Bass in February when your monofilament line freezes! :wink:

OK folks, he said Jim S right..... In what world would I have anything BUT a SKIDDY?? Yea,yea, I do have some blues,reds and even a white M1450. All kidding aside, congrats. My last Loki M1200 Spitfire has your name all over it!! L3 in Price in April, gonna be ready??

Latest posts

Back