Level 1 Certification Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAAerospace

Reaction score
I've just finished building my Apogee Components Zephyr, and I'm planning to launch later this year. This is my first time building something high-power, so naturally, I'm rather anxious. Are there any tips or tricks to ensure the highest success rate?

Here's a list of the supplies I used on this build:

5-Minute Epoxy-- Internal and External Fillets
JB Weld-- Motor Retainer
I used the bowline knot for the shock cord
Aerotech H219T-14A
All Recovery Equipment Stock With The Zephyr

All looks good with proper glues.

Tie a loop in the cord about a foot below the nose cone. Then tie chute to this loop. Now nose cone attachment only needs to hold the weight of the cone not the whole rocket.

Double check all knots and ensure they have not become loose. Lots of people like the bowline but I have had issues keeping it tight. I use the 'figure-8'.

Check your sim for ejection delay time. I am sure 14 seconds is way too long so it will need to be adjusted.
If you are unsure of doing this then ask for help at your club.

I have seem many L1 cert flights using the Zephyr. None failed going up on H283 motors. All failures were with chute deployment, some tangled chute that caused damage upon landing or shock cord knots untied.

I certified on a Zephyr on an AT H123. The Zephyr is a great rocket. It's one you'll want to keep flying after your certify. Apogee is re-releasing the Level 2. It's a full fiberglass rocket for 54mm motors. It is expected to be available for order on March 28th. Something to think about for your Level 2 cert rocket.

> Check your sim for ejection delay time. I am sure 14 seconds is way too long
> so it will need to be adjusted.

Yep - I saw a Zephyr L1 attempt launch w/ a 14 second delay and sure enough it just came in and smashed into the ground. The next flight was going to be the L1 attempt of someone else that had a 14 second delay. I think they had to pull it off the pad and did not launch it. I wish someone had made that first guy postpone his flight and do it the right way.

All looks good with proper glues.

Tie a loop in the cord about a foot below the nose cone. Then tie chute to this loop. Now nose cone attachment only needs to hold the weight of the cone not the whole rocket.

Double check all knots and ensure they have not become loose. Lots of people like the bowline but I have had issues keeping it tight. I use the 'figure-8'.

Check your sim for ejection delay time. I am sure 14 seconds is way too long so it will need to be adjusted.
If you are unsure of doing this then ask for help at your club.

I have seem many L1 cert flights using the Zephyr. None failed going up on H283 motors. All failures were with chute deployment, some tangled chute that caused damage upon landing or shock cord knots untied.
Thanks. Will do

Update an OpenRocket or Rocksim model for the rocket with your actual dry weight and center of gravity. That will help you select the correct delay and make sure you don't have any stability surprises.

Keep everything dummy simply for the cert flight. Use a basic single use motor and drill your delay after you run the simulations. Speaking of the simulation, make sure you weight the rocket complete with everything packed, fire blanket/wadding/barf, parachute, shock cord, motor, retainers, altimeter, camera etc. Anything you plan to put in the rocket or on it needs to be accounted for.

Do a basic deployment at apogee, no chute releases or anything else that can fail.

Don't connect the shock cord to the nose cone using that little eyelet. Cut the eyelet off and drill holes in the base of the cone and thread the shock cord through those.

Connect the parachute to the shock cord not the nose cone.

Take a couple of extra ignitors.

Always have tape.

Make yourself a checklist of things to check before the launch then go over it a couple of times as you will be nervous in the field. I just flew for my level 1 last fall and I was a nervous wreck until the moment the chute opened.

Something to begin your list with.
- If you are using any quick connects, are they closed?
- Shock cord securely attached to rocket body.
- Parachute securely attached to shock cord.
- Shock Cord securely attached to nose cone.
- Parachute packed neatly.
- Fire Blanket / Wadding in place.
- Delay drilled correctly?
- Did you add the ejection powder to the motor after drilling the delay.
- Is the ejection cap secure.
- Motor inserted and motor retainer tight.
- Nose cone. Check fitment.
- Check screws on rail buttons.
- Breathe.

Thank y'all so much! You guys answered all of my questions (that I know of) and that L1 flight is starting to look a little less intimidating.

I was in MS the night before I wanted to do my L1. I drove a 1000 miles that night to get back home for the launch. I was dead tired, but that day I had so much fun doing my first cert flight. Don't sweat it, just go out and enjoy flying and it will happen. Good luck.

"Z" fold your chute for positive deployment. "Z" fold the shroud lines and lay them between folds in the chute. Roll the chute up in the blanket tightly and insert. When you balance the rocket simulate the chute position at lift off. The chute will be at the bottom of the tube. Maybe use a shelf to keep it near the top of the tube.

"Z" fold your chute for positive deployment. "Z" fold the shroud lines and lay them between folds in the chute. Roll the chute up in the blanket tightly and insert. When you balance the rocket simulate the chute position at lift off. The chute will be at the bottom of the tube. Maybe use a shelf to keep it near the top of the tube.
By shelf do you mean something like a clipped centering ring or something else? I've never done something like that before, so I don't really know

By shelf do you mean something like a clipped centering ring or something else? I've never done something like that before, so I don't really know
It could be a bulkhead with a bunch of hole drilled in it or a baffle. Attach the drilled bulkhead to a coupler and side it in. Use epoxy as your glue. Wood glue could grab to soon. If the nose cone is heavy enough it will pull the chute out of the tube even if it's at the bottom of the BT. If you break in the middle instead of nose cone eject you don't need one. Remember to put some dog barf in the tube before you put your chute burrito in. It is some extra insurance against a fried chute.

Back