Level 1 Certification — What would you do differently?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I would go with a 3" Bluefin Tuba design. It's light enough to fly on G motors to low altitudes. A baby H motor will take it to a bit over 1000 feet, while a higher impulse H or baby I will do a bit over 2000 feet. If you want to go for an L2, add an avbay and fly dual deploy. And after you get your L3, you can stuff an M650 into it for one hell of a flight.

I've also heard of some college teams having a lot of success with some very cheap rockets for churning out certs. IIRC they would give members 3" mailing tubes, 1.5" mailing tubes, a 3D printed nosecone, and some centering rings. From there the students would design and build their rockets, and then fly them on DMS motors.

I've also heard of some college teams having a lot of success with some very cheap rockets for churning out certs. IIRC they would give members 3" mailing tubes, 1.5" mailing tubes, a 3D printed nosecone, and some centering rings. From there the students would design and build their rockets, and then fly them on DMS motors.

Did they learn anything?

I’m currently a Level 3 certified flyer with CAR-ACF (Level 2 equivalent for those in the U.S.). My oldest son is quickly approaching the age where he can go for his Level 1 certification. There’s obviously many newer kits out there than ever before. Plus the information available for pursuing high-power certification is no doubt better than its ever been. If you were to have to do Level 1 all over again in this day and age, what would you be looking for? I’m thinking in terms of kits, motor recommendations, best places for info, best places to shop from, etc. What factors would make it the most successful and educational experience in this day and age? What would you do differently?
I just did my Tripoli level 1 and 2 with a Loc Goblin and would highly recommend this rocket. The reason is motor availability: 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm motors will all work in this rocket. There is lots of build support and the Goblin is a relatively easy build. I even wrote a build thread on my journey from zero to Level 2. The only upgrade I would recommend is a nomex shock cord protector. Also use a Jolly Logic chute release if you have one.

I just did my Tripoli level 1 and 2 with a Loc Goblin and would highly recommend this rocket. The reason is motor availability: 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm motors will all work in this rocket. There is lots of build support and the Goblin is a relatively easy build. I even wrote a build thread on my journey from zero to Level 2. The only upgrade I would recommend is a nomex shock cord protector. Also use a Jolly Logic chute release if you have one.
Not quite, but almost my thoughts on my LOC Goblin. I've replaced the nylon shock line with Kevlar and am planning on using a JLCR for dual deployment. (Motor ejection for apogee, JCLR for mains.) I'll still use a bit of dog-barf for insurance, though.

A LOC kit, because they are thick-walled cardboard that are tough to zipper. If you want low and slow, then go short and fat with nose weight.

Use a Chute Release if you think it will drift too much from apogee. I use a JLCR now on any single deploy bird 2.2" diameter and up. Opens up more motors on smaller fields and shorter walks. It really is a great investment for mid-power and lower-end HPR flights.

Not quite, but almost my thoughts on my LOC Goblin. I've replaced the nylon shock line with Kevlar and am planning on using a JLCR for dual deployment. (Motor ejection for apogee, JCLR for mains.) I'll still use a bit of dog-barf for insurance, though.
This Sir is a solid plan! Cert. flight? Or just fun?

Well, thank you everybody for your contributions to this thread! I’ve definitely pulled away some common themes and ideas from every posting. Thank you so much!

Did they learn anything?
My understanding is that each team member was given parts, but that they had to design their own rocket in Openrocket. There's plenty of room to create your own design, even if the nosecone and tubes are specified. I don't know any details beyond that, since I've only talked with someone who ran the program, and I didn't participate myself.

If I were doing it again, I'm not sure I would do a lot different than what I did. I had two L1 capable rockets I flew on HobbyLine G motors for a couple years as I figured out what to do for my L1. I wanted to scratch build the rocket and learn as much about HPR building as possible.

I used thick wall mailing tubes, made my own coupler and built and av-bay with a HiAlt45 altimeter to do dual deployment. I made my own nose cone from pink foam in a drill press with sand paper and a file, then epoxy coated it. The fins were 6mm ply and I sewed my own main and drogue chutes. I used xmas light bulbs in paper tubes for ejection charges.

The cert flight was on a Loki I110 motor with a 4.2 second burn time. It went 4,200 ft. with a main deploy at 400 ft. and worked perfectly! I flew my other L1 capable rockets on H motors later that same day.

The first six flights on that rocket were all I motors, I finally put a H motor in it, just because. I few it a couple times at 80G on I1299N motors.

I learned more from flying that rocket than any other I ever built. I would never build one that way again. I would never use the types of ejection charges I did in that rocket, or some of the techniques I used with that. I have also gone back to some of the techniques I use with that rocket that I had gotten away from, like pull pin switches for the av-bay electronics.

My suggestion from my experience, scratch build your cert rockets and push the envelope a little. Don't be afraid to push your limits and learn along the way.

Back