Level 1 cert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello all
I have the Loc hi tech 45 which I built about 10 years ago and never got to fly it.
I've decided I'm going get my level 1 and use this rocket for it.
When I built it, I did as per instructions for friction fitting the motor in. However, I'd like to use some sort of retainer but I can't get T nuts on the back of the rear centering ring now it's built. Could I get some ideas on how to make some sort of retainer
thank you

Drill & tap teh wood CR. Harden the threads with thin CA. And use the traditional 'Z' bend retaining clips & some 8-32 screws (this can be surprisingly strong!) Or even a washer.

Assuming you have 1/4" or 3/8" of motor tube sticking out, you can glue on an Aeropack retainer

Friction fit does work, but is a bit of an art: to know how much tape to add, how to remove once the rocket has flown..

I would also question your rod / rail mounting. Most fields these days want rail buttons for anything over a 'G' motor. No lugs.

If your motor tube is sticking out at least 1/4" beyond the glue fillet. Slide the motor in and use several wraps of masking tape over the motor tube - rear closure joint. Peel off the tape to remove the motor.

The threaded inserts that bobbyg23 shows in post #4 along with the z-clips from Wild Bills' picture in post #9 would be the way I'd go. LOC sells a set with T-nuts or you can source them at your local hardware store.

https://locprecision.com/products/z-clip-style-motor-retainer-set?_pos=4&_psq=retainer&_ss=e&_v=1.0

View attachment 503111

The flat back end of the rocket is perfect for an aeropack retainer. I use them all the time for all size rockets up to and including my L3 rockets.

https://aeropack.net/motorretainers.asp

The flat back end of the rocket is perfect for an aeropack retainer. I use them all the time for all size rockets up to and including my L3 rockets.

https://aeropack.net/motorretainers.asp
I agree that the flanged retainers are awesome, but I think this only has a 38mm motor mount so they don't make one in that size.
More choices ! I suppose you could make the flanged retainer work with multiple adapters if you really wanted a Aeropack solution. I went with perhaps the less elegant but equally effective solution. I wonder if the OP has decided on his approach yet ?

Last edited:
I have some of the LOC z clips so I may use two screw in inserts were the t nut would have been and use them like that. Would that be ok

I once saw someone use two little metal tubes to act as a standoff the height of the motor and then a small bolt and washer that taped into the centering ring so the bolt and washer pull down against the rear of the motor..
Is that a good way or bad,?

I use standoffs for rail buttons all the time. Yes, that will work fine.

Attachments

• standoffs 005.JPG
    standoffs 005.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 29
  • standoffs 002.JPG
    standoffs 002.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 29
I once saw someone use two little metal tubes to act as a standoff the height of the motor and then a small bolt and washer that taped into the centering ring so the bolt and washer pull down against the rear of the motor..
Is that a good way or bad,?
Just another variation. The standoffs help keep the washers in place. You already have the z clips, right ?

Just another variation. The standoffs help keep the washers in place. You already have the z clips, right ?

Hi Sam

I thought I had the Z clips but I looked in my spares box and I don't.
That's why I wondered about the washers idea

Back