Level 1 cert.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hello all
I have the Loc hi tech 45 which I built about 10 years ago and never got to fly it.
I've decided I'm going get my level 1 and use this rocket for it.
When I built it, I did as per instructions for friction fitting the motor in. However, I'd like to use some sort of retainer but I can't get T nuts on the back of the rear centering ring now it's built. Could I get some ideas on how to make some sort of retainer
thank you

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Drill & tap teh wood CR. Harden the threads with thin CA. And use the traditional 'Z' bend retaining clips & some 8-32 screws (this can be surprisingly strong!) Or even a washer.

Assuming you have 1/4" or 3/8" of motor tube sticking out, you can glue on an Aeropack retainer

Friction fit does work, but is a bit of an art: to know how much tape to add, how to remove once the rocket has flown..

I would also question your rod / rail mounting. Most fields these days want rail buttons for anything over a 'G' motor. No lugs.

Budro0

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
If your motor tube is sticking out at least 1/4" beyond the glue fillet. Slide the motor in and use several wraps of masking tape over the motor tube - rear closure joint. Peel off the tape to remove the motor.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The threaded inserts that bobbyg23 shows in post #4 along with the z-clips from Wild Bills' picture in post #9 would be the way I'd go. LOC sells a set with T-nuts or you can source them at your local hardware store.

https://locprecision.com/products/z-clip-style-motor-retainer-set?_pos=4&_psq=retainer&_ss=e&_v=1.0

View attachment 503111

The flat back end of the rocket is perfect for an aeropack retainer. I use them all the time for all size rockets up to and including my L3 rockets.

bobbyg23

Reaction score
The flat back end of the rocket is perfect for an aeropack retainer. I use them all the time for all size rockets up to and including my L3 rockets.

I agree that the flanged retainers are awesome, but I think this only has a 38mm motor mount so they don't make one in that size.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I agree that the flanged retainers are awesome, but I think this only has a 38mm motor mount so they don't make one in that size.
More choices ! I suppose you could make the flanged retainer work with multiple adapters if you really wanted a Aeropack solution. I went with perhaps the less elegant but equally effective solution. I wonder if the OP has decided on his approach yet ?

Last edited:

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
I have some of the LOC z clips so I may use two screw in inserts were the t nut would have been and use them like that. Would that be ok

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
I once saw someone use two little metal tubes to act as a standoff the height of the motor and then a small bolt and washer that taped into the centering ring so the bolt and washer pull down against the rear of the motor..
Is that a good way or bad,?

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use standoffs for rail buttons all the time. Yes, that will work fine.

Attachments

• standoffs 005.JPG
    standoffs 005.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 29
  • standoffs 002.JPG
    standoffs 002.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 29

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I once saw someone use two little metal tubes to act as a standoff the height of the motor and then a small bolt and washer that taped into the centering ring so the bolt and washer pull down against the rear of the motor..
Is that a good way or bad,?
Just another variation. The standoffs help keep the washers in place. You already have the z clips, right ?

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Just another variation. The standoffs help keep the washers in place. You already have the z clips, right ?

Hi Sam

I thought I had the Z clips but I looked in my spares box and I don't.
That's why I wondered about the washers idea