Level 1 cert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
What is involed in getting level 1 cert.I know you have to build a rocket and have a sucessful flight. Do you need to document the build. Im sure you have to have a level 1 cert person launch it. Is there a knowlege test? Everything I have clicked on, comes in as some huge pdf thing with lost of pages. Im just looking for a simple answer. Scotty Dog :confused2:

for TRA, all you have to do is join TRA. Build the rocket, get the motor and fly it. Then it has to be inspected by whoever is going to turn in the level 1 papers.

For NAR the prosess is the same and written tests don't come in until you attempt your level two and three certs :D

It's really easy. With both TRA and NAR, you have to do this:

1) Build rocket
2) Get motor (vendors will sell you 1 H or I motor to use for your certification attempt)
3) Build motor
4) Find someone to watch your flight (who is certified L2 or greater with the organization you are certifying in)
5) Fly rocket successfully on H or I motor
6) Have person sign paperwork
7) Send paperwork in
8) Celebrate

9) Open wallet wide and watch all the contents disappear at a fast rate! :p

NAR's procedure can be found here, and it's pretty short and easy:
https://www.nar.org/hpcert/l1certreq.html

An even more terse version...
0. Turn 18
1. Join NAR
2. Build HPR rocket that uses "active recovery" (parachute, for example)
3. Get a H/I motor that is certified by NAR
4. Fill out NAR HP certification application (available at the link above)
5. Make sure you know what the motor designations mean, where the CP and CG is, etc, as the cert team can ask such questions of you.
6. Have it inspected by certification team (either a L2 certified NAR member or or two NAR members, one of which is L1 certified)
7. Fly it successfully in front of a certification team
8. Have it inspected by certification team again to verify that the flight and recovery were successful, not too much damage. (Too much damage is vague and left to the judgment of the cert team)
9. They sign paperwork
10. Somebody mails it to NAR (most likely you)
11. NAR sends you some sort of shiny level 1 cert badge of awesomeness.

8. Have it inspected by certification team again to verify that the flight and recovery were successful, not too much damage. (Too much damage is vague and left to the judgment of the cert team)

For the people whose certification I've signed off on, I generally consider it too much damage if it seriously impacts the rocket's ability to fly again without repairs. If you have a 1/4" zipper, but the rocket is completely flyable, it's fine. If a corner of a fin is missing, but the vast majority of the fin area is still there and usable, it's fine. Basically, I ask them whether they would be willing to fly it again if I were to hand them a motor right then and there. If the answer to that question is yes, then it's in a good enough condition to successfully cert.

9) Open wallet wide and watch all the contents disappear at a fast rate! :p

Precisely why I'm not getting certified just yet. :) "Oh look, NAR membership is only 50 bucks... and the motor is 20 bucks... and the rocket is 100 bucks... and the reload casing is like 80 bucks... and AFTER getting certified, I'd need to buy more motors, and OF COURSE get a couple more big rockets to play with... Oh and then I could get dual deploy with an altimeter and altimeter bay... :eek: This stuff adds up fast!

I'll stick with G's for now... I'm having enough fun making a mess of the Onyx kit I got. :)

Precisely why I'm not getting certified just yet. :) "Oh look, NAR membership is only 50 bucks... and the motor is 20 bucks... and the rocket is 100 bucks... and the reload casing is like 80 bucks... and AFTER getting certified, I'd need to buy more motors, and OF COURSE get a couple more big rockets to play with... Oh and then I could get dual deploy with an altimeter and altimeter bay... :eek: This stuff adds up fast!

I'll stick with G's for now... I'm having enough fun making a mess of the Onyx kit I got. :)

Well, you see, your problem was adding up what it would cost. I'm building my L3 right now, and by not ordering all the pieces at once (or even from the same supplier), and ordering over a period of a month or so, I've managed to keep myself completely in the dark about how much I've spent on it so far.

:D

It's really easy. With both TRA and NAR, you have to do this:

1) Build rocket
2) Get motor (vendors will sell you 1 H or I motor to use for your certification attempt)
3) Build motor
4) Find someone to watch your flight (who is certified L2 or greater with the organization you are certifying in)
5) Fly rocket successfully on H or I motor
6) Have person sign paperwork
7) Send paperwork in
8) Celebrate

9) Open pocketbook. :D

Well, you see, your problem was adding up what it would cost. I'm building my L3 right now, and by not ordering all the pieces at once (or even from the same supplier), and ordering over a period of a month or so, I've managed to keep myself completely in the dark about how much I've spent on it so far.

:D

Thats what i did and over a period of 3 weeks i spend over $300 :y::D

And a shiny level 1 cert badge of awesomeness PRICELESS :headbang: Well,thanks for all the info TRFers. Hey, ya gotta spend it somewere.

Last edited:
Well when you can be sure to open up your wallet. After all, tripoli fees go down $10 every year. :D

A GREAT L1 rocket is the PML Small Endeavour, it's only $76.95 and makes fantastic flights on an I300. however you wouldn't have to spring for that motor, The H97FJ is a good choice.

Now with the new 29mm adapters Aerotech is coming out with you can fly anything from an E16 to an I200 in the 29/360 case.

and don't forget the CTI reloads as well. They are more high power, but have good 29mm motors.

For about 30% more of the price of the PML kit you can pick up a honest john it's all fiberglass I picked one up recently (well acctually an early b-day present from my dad :) ) it was a great experience working with fiberglass.:D it is SUPER strong ironicly enough the smallest recomended motor is an F42 and it just so happens to be the largest motor you can buy with out being 18 :D (happens to be an ecnojet so they are resonably priced) :D it flys straight and true..... Asssuming you line up the fins right.... But there are pre cut through the wall fin tabs.....there's no way anyone could mess it up and finishing was a snap even for me , just slap on a coat of olive and ally decals.. Choosing your level one cert rocket tends to be MUCH harder then desiding to go for it..... Good luck! And let us know what you level one cert will be on I'd love to find out :) (12 years down 6 more before I can go for my cert) let go find me a time machine!

For about 30% more of the price of the PML kit you can pick up a honest john it's all fiberglass I picked one up recently (well acctually an early b-day present from my dad :) ) it was a great experience working with fiberglass.:D it is SUPER strong ironicly enough the smallest recomended motor is an F42 and it just so happens to be the largest motor you can buy with out being 18 :D (happens to be an ecnojet so they are resonably priced) :D it flys straight and true..... Asssuming you line up the fins right.... But there are pre cut through the wall fin tabs.....there's no way anyone could mess it up and finishing was a snap even for me , just slap on a coat of olive and ally decals.. Choosing your level one cert rocket tends to be MUCH harder then desiding to go for it..... Good luck! And let us know what you level one cert will be on I'd love to find out :) (12 years down 6 more before I can go for my cert) let go find me a time machine!

So,Im guessing you are 12 yrs old? If so-I give you PROPS. you sure seem to know your stuff.Im waiting for my Apogee order to arrive. I ordered the BOOK-Design and Contruction of model rockets.I need some more education on rockets before I go for and spend the $s on level 1 cert. I havennt even seen a level 1 motor.:roll: I get :confused: just reading some of the posts here.The build part Im not to worried about. Im like the "Toolman" I can build anything.:roll::roll::roll::roll: Scotty Dog

Do not be intimidated by a level 1 cert. Especially if you go with motor ejection. I hadn't built a rocket in 10 years and my first one back was my level 1 rocket. I would suggest getting a rocket with a 38mm motor mount and buy an aeropak 29mm motor adapter. This will allow you to fly motors that you do not need to be certified for, and when your ready, throw a H or an I in and cert. I did this with my Madcow Super DX3. Flew it first on a G80 and then a H123 for the cert.

Dave

12 years down 6 more before I can go for my cert

As I've mentioned before, if you're 12, you only have 2 more years until you can get a Jr. L1. It's not as nice as a full L1, but I would recommend it - it automatically transfers to a full L1 on your 18th birthday, and it allows you to fly L1 class motors with minimal help from a supervisor.

Back