Level 1 cert kit recommendations

Discussion in 'Beginners & Educational Programs' started by Brown Lettuce, Apr 6, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Apr 9, 2019 #31

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

^ Finally, a sensible recommendation. There is a whole class called Mid Power Rocketry (MPR) that nicely introduces you to the next level of performance and construction techniques. The first time you fire a 29mm White Lightening composite motor in the schoolyard (after launching nothing but BP motors) you will be blown away.

These posts crack me up. The newbie has an Estes rocket, and you guys are already recommending fiberglass, 54mm motor mounts, and L2 certification.

Fattbank64, mbeels, Banzai88 and 2 others like this.
  2. Apr 9, 2019 #32

Banzai88

Banzai88

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed

Completely agree, MP is a GREAT stepping stone to L1, even if you only step there for a moment......it's the KNOWLEDGE that's importand. Plenty of annecdotal stories about the increase in the rate of "Same rocket for L1 and L2, then build your second rocket and go for L3" type of folks, and that's the thinking that gets us to the point where we have someone who's only ever built 2 rockets and done 2 flights thinking they've got enough figured out to go L3CC/TAP shopping.

3. Apr 9, 2019 #33

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

Had a guy out to the range some time ago looking to Level 1 with a scratch-built rocket. First mistake: hooked up the wrong leads to the igniter. Second mistake: had no idea you need to drill the delay. Had it set to the default 14 seconds when he needed 7. Got the first two things fixed. Third mistake: rocket skywrote, completely unstable.

Moral of the story: only difference between your cert flight and other successful flights should be a slightly bigger motor.

mbeels likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2019 #34

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

This is exactly why I recommend a 29mm motor mount for an L1. You learn an awful lot on your L1 rocket that will improve later rockets. 29mm is a really nice transition size that covers most of MPR and a bit of HPR.

Banzai88 likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2019 #35

jmuck78

jmuck78

jmuck78

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I'll just note that the OP asked for a recommendation on a L1 cert kit - he may already be planning to fly mid power rockets as well, we don't know. I answered the question that he asked in the hopes that answering a straightforward question with a straightforward answer might solicit more questions.

6. Apr 10, 2019 #36

DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann

Mid power is a good next step, but honestly, a solidly capable L1 rocket right out of the gate isn't all that crazy.

https://locprecision.com The Vulcanite needs a bit of modification for DD, but is a great L1. So are any of the 3" or 4" kits. Easy to build and fun to fly. Not as durable as FG

https://macperformancerocketry.com/collections/54mm-diameter-kits-1 MAC kits are really really well made, and a pleasure to fly. I've got a DD 54mm Zodiac and it'd make a great L1

https://wildmanrocketry.com Wildman's Jr kits are another great option. if you're willing to or able to work with Fiberglass, it's not rocket science.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/kits/ Madcow has an insane number of kits that would make a perfect L1. Me? I'd do a 2.6" screech (OK I've built two ;) ) or a 2.6" Pike

I've built multiple rockets from each of these companies...and you really can't go wrong. if It looks fun, and fits your waiver....go for it.

My L1? I cloned an Estes Optima out of bluetube and plywood on a CTI H133BS for a nice easy 1200' pop and drop.

[​IMG]

7. Apr 12, 2019 #37

Brown Lettuce

Brown Lettuce

Brown Lettuce

Once again thanks everyone for all the advice and recommendations. The reason they didn't lead to more questions is due to meeting local club members and using them as mentors. I plan on attending my second launch date on 4-13-19 and asking lots of questions about rockets that peak my interest .

8. Apr 17, 2019 #38

Lukun7

Lukun7

Lukun7

Are there any good rockets that have DD that I can use for L1 + l2 and not lose on l2, but also not crash on L1?

9. Apr 17, 2019 #39

JohnCoker

JohnCoker

JohnCoker

Glad to hear it; getting hooked up with a local club is the best way to advance the hobby.

Steve Shannon likes this.
  10. Apr 17, 2019 #40

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

Most any kit 3" or above with a 38mm motor mount will fit that bill. A 2.6" is also possible but a little harder to fit all of the electronics in the AV bay. Either way, cardboard or fiberglass will work with appropriate motor selections.

11. Apr 18, 2019 at 4:28 PM #41

Scottydog1

Scottydog1

Scottydog1

Boom!

www.fusionrocket.biz

12. Apr 21, 2019 at 4:38 PM #42

Lukun7

Lukun7

Lukun7

Are there any large 38mm rockets I can launch and build easily and that have no electronics and I can launch to a low altitude on an H?

13. Apr 21, 2019 at 7:35 PM #43

JohnCoker

JohnCoker

JohnCoker

Kits generally don't come with electronics and most are designed to be deployed via motor ejection. Just avoid any kit labeled "dual deployment."

14. Apr 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM #44

Mike Haberer

Mike Haberer

Mike Haberer

I'm using the Madcow SuperDX3 for my L1 cert. Roughly 1600 feet on an AT H123W (low and slow). I'm building it so I can add the av bay and do dual deploy later, then potentially L2 if I'm comfortable it can handle the impulse of an I. It's pretty easy to build, versatile (can fly G through J) and there are several very good build threads on the HPR forum you can use as guidelines. Do join a local club as the locals can help with a lot of your questions along the way...

Banzai88 likes this.
  15. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM #45

Rex R

Rex R

Rex R

LV2

some thoughts some kits have ads stating that they are easy to convert to dual deploy, well yes and no. example Madcow's 4" patriot (wood and paper) to convert from motor deploy to dual deploy I would likely need to swap out the nose cone and payload bay for an 18" parachute bay and AV bay with however much added weight to balance.
    for me I find that I need about 10" of free tube to pack the main chute into(the nose and AV bay will use about 8" of tube. the stock nose will usually have about a pound of weight added, the AV bay weighs in at about a pound offset a bit by the bigger motors(a J570 weighs in at 910g) I would hazard a guess that one wouldn't need a full pound of nose weight for that(on top of the AV bay weight). so a 'clean slate' nose cone would be a good idea.
    Rex

16. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:37 PM #46

roytyson

roytyson

roytyson

I used a 2.6” Madcow DX3 with 29mm. My L2 was a LOC Goblin. It has the ability to fly on 29mm, 38mm and 54mm. That is a great flier for L1 and L2. That’s what I would do if you want one flier your first two level certs.

17. Apr 22, 2019 at 4:30 AM #47

Earache

Earache

Earache

Toothless and Steve Shannon like this.
  18. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:23 PM #48

Bill Hanson

Bill Hanson

Bill Hanson

I used a 4" Cardboard/Wood MadCow DX3 with 38mm motor mount, but built it with an added avionics bay (DX3 kit + 4" MadCow avionics bay). It flew empty for my L1 (H123W, motor ejection), then I added altimeters and flew it dual-deploy for my L2 (J420).
    Easy build, very forgiving design.

Banzai88 likes this.
  19. Apr 22, 2019 at 3:57 PM #49

Raindog

Raindog

Raindog

I am just getting back in to rocketry after being out over 40 years. As a kid and teenager (I'm 58), I launched many an Estes and Centuri rocket. Now that I am retired, I'm ready to enjoy it again. I have purchased a couple LPR rockets to practice and regain my building/flying skills and ordered a Loc IV to start on, once I get my hobby legs under me again. After ordering the Loc IV, I came across this thread and heard about the Fusion. That one really has gotten under my skin and am considering ordering it. My question is this: Once I am ready to start building a rocket for a Level 1 cert, should I use the Loc IV or the Fusion? BTW, I have to say that the rockets haven't changed much in 40 years but the engines and recovery systems, WOW!

20. Apr 22, 2019 at 4:16 PM #50

crossfire

crossfire

crossfire

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Welcome back to the hobby. It's kind of up to you for your L1 rocket both are great kits.

Raindog likes this.
  21. Apr 22, 2019 at 4:16 PM #51

Scottydog1

Scottydog1

Scottydog1

Boom!

Essentially, they're the same rocket. - the Fusion just allows the option to fly single or dual deployment. The choice is yours.. Fusion also includes all the extras you're likely to buy... like nomex heat shields, shock cord protectors, main and drogue parachutes, motor adapters, and a handy camera and altimeter mount. Fusion is also available with or without an altimeter, although it can always be flown using just motor ejection.

22. Apr 22, 2019 at 6:10 PM #52

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

Only 169 Motors...

23. Apr 22, 2019 at 7:39 PM #53

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

If you buy anything that comes with launch lugs, ditch 'em and get a pair of rail buttons.

Raindog likes this.