Level 1 cert ground test questions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyCracker

Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm new to the HP side of this hobby and I have some questions as the certification flights gets closer.
My young son (LOC Iris) and I (Apogee Zephyr) will be using H128W motors which obviously includes a small amount of BP for the ejection charge.
My instructions have been to simply add "approximately 75%" of the BP to the well.
But we're also researching electronic deployment for later projects and see that ground testing ejection charges is the standard for that method.
Is our situation less critical or should we still do our own ground testing?

No need to ground test a rocket using motor ejection for those two kits. I’d also use all of the powder included with a reload, since a healthy margin of error is a nice thing to have.

If you were to use motor eject on a really long or large diameter project, then I could understand ground testing to see if you needed to add additional black powder to ensure separation. In this instance, no need. Good luck on the cert flights!

Latest posts

Back