Leve 2 Rocket ordered

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Leup's or no Leup's or whatever the regulations are to be I've decided to go ahead and start preparing for my Level 2.

So the first order of business was choosing the rocket. I was debating between the PML 4" Amraam and BSD's 4" Thor. Checked with the family and they all picked the Thor so that cleared up the decision.

So in the near future I should have a BSD 4" Thor arriving at the door and the build will begin.

Should all be pretty cut and dry with the exception of electronics, at this time I'm planning on dual deployment with an Altimeter, of which I know nothing about. Absolutely no knowledge or experience with electrical stuff so this will be a learning experience.

The target motor at this point will be the old J350. If not available i'll be looking at some of the Pro 38 stuff then.

Target launch date will be spring 2004.

Tips and suggestions from anyone with experience with this kit or the level 2 process are welcome....

Get a RRC2. I also have no experience with electronics but It was easy mount and assemble and works it amazingly.

good luck!

Jason,
Sorry can't help with the electronics part of it. I did L-2 with just motor ejection. A J-350 in a PML Amraam 4. Have you taken the test yet? I studied for it at the launch the day I took the test that way it was all fresh. There is no time limit between the test and the flight. I wish you the best of luck. L-2 is an exciting accomplishment, but can be a bit nerve racking.
Larry

No Larry I haven't, i've gone over the questions a few times online, doesn't look like i'll have any problem with that part of it.

Will probably do the test same day or day before....

Hi Jason,

I'm starting to work towards my Level 2 as well and have started experimenting with electronic dual duployment. After talking to lots of people and reading many articles I decided on the Missile Works RRC2 altimeter - the unit has been perfect and the customer service is excellent in my opinion. I used the altimeter bay from Giant Leap, but I installed it in a PML 4" kit. It does not fit well in the BSD 4" BT.

I don't think you can go wrong with the BSD Thor - I love the design of that rocket. Please make sure to take lots of pictures along the way.

I third (fourth? seventh?) that RRC<sup>2</sup> opinion. Mine works EVERY time (when I don't do something stupid setting it up :rolleyes: ). When I munched my ALTACC at BALLS last year, I flew a 4" rocket with an EX K970 red motor with only the RRC<sup>2</sup> for deployment. Normally I always fly with backup -- problem is, I didn't bring any. The MW unit performed like a champ and did perfect dual deploy from 8030 feet. And Jim is a great guy -- excellent customer service, great sense of humor, and flies really cool rockets :p

Good choice on the Thor too :) Those things really scream on the 6-grain Pro38! I'd love to try mine (when I'm done) on the 6-grain Pro54, see how strong the kit really is :cool:

Keep us posted!

I own a Missleworks RRC<sup>2</sup>X and I'm very satisfied with it. The customer service is great and the price can't be beat. I've recently been following KenParker's experience with his Perfectflite MAWD and for a few bucks more, I think it is a strong candidate for your first altimeter too. The MAWD does everything that the RRC<sup>2</sup> does and also gives you some recording ability for about the same price. I also love the looks of the Thor. One of these days, I'm going to pick up one for myself. :D

BTW, there is a time limit on taking the level 2 test. It's one year. You have one year to make the flight after you take the written test. I don't think you'll have any problems meeting that requirement. ;)

Excellent choice with the Thor! :D You are really going to enjoy the build of this kit. I built mine completely stock & it should be plenty beefy to handle any J & most Ks. I even went with the default paint scheme (I couldn't see letting all of those incredible vinyl decals going to waste!) except it's purple & yellow instead of black & yellow.

The Thor was built to be my L2 rocket as well but me being a creature of calculated preparation & a burning desire for success, I'm of the belief that I need to have at least a couple of successful lesser powered flights before attempting certification. (FWIW, I did the same thing with my PML Phobos for my L1.)

I built my Thor back in October & originally planned on flying it last month. The weather that day was *horrible* so the launch was scratched. The plan now is to try again & send it up tomorrow (12/13) on a Pro38 I205. :cool: After a second flight sometime down the road (probably on another I205), I plan on certifying with the Pro38 J285 by late spring/early summer.

Keep us up to date on your build progress too! What few (& I do mean few) snares I had in the build process are still fresh in my mind so don't hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck!

Good luck & ENJOY :D :D

Originally posted by lalligood
I built my Thor back in October & originally planned on flying it last month. The weather that day was *horrible* so the launch was scratched. The plan now is to try again & send it up tomorrow (12/13) on a Pro38 I205. :cool:

Lance, good luck with that flight tomorrow. Break a fin! ;) Take many pictures! vI wish we could make it out there, but we're gathering locally to do some schtuff. The tentative plan is to meet in March (I think) at NEFAR again. Spring 2004 is going to be a busy schedule! Sheesh!

Firemanup, nice attitude on the LEUP! I feel the same. I'm ready to move on and just fly some rockets. Let's just hope relief comes soon. (I'm still debating on the non-storage LEUP.)

I am asking my mom for the RRC2X for Christmas and will be putting it in my high power rocket. Read the thread about it a couple of threads down. I have pictures but they are too big so I have to resize.

Back