LEUPs and Insurance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
This question is directed at those who have already endured the process. Does having a LEUP with storage affect your home owners insurance?

I had a good long chat with the local fire chief last night at a Halloween chilli supper, and will have his approval as soon as I get ready to start the process. All he wants is a copy of the NFPA 1127, and the MSDS sheets. He was familiar with the process, as he said there are quite a few people in my area with BP magazines.

yea, black powder magazines are pretty common in one of my other hobbies.

I do historical reenactments... fur trade era... shooting my flintlock competitively... when I go to a week long match, i might burn through 2lbs.... 50 grains at a time.... buying and storing black powder in bulk is part of the deal.... its WAY cheaper to buy BP in 25lb lots... When I was shooting regular it wasnt uncommon to have close to 50lbs in mixed grain lots in my magazine.

lots of civil war reenactors that are cannoneers buy it in lots of 100lbs or more... a 20lb yankee cannon can use 1/2lb per shot!!

if your actually putting projectiles downrange at a competition... a cannon team might burn 25lbs in a weekend in a cannon. Those folks team up to buy it together.

Its a good thing to let the local authorities know what you do, and what you keep on hand. Usually the locals are pretty cool about it if you let them know who you are.. and what you have it for. as long as you abide by the rules and keep things proper.

I have to admit though, i've not had any dealings with the federal folks since before 911...

Its always a good thing to let the locals know who you are... and what you've got. that way if they have to respond to a call at your location, they are prepared.

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by astrowolf67
This question is directed at those who have already endured the process. Does having a LEUP with storage affect your home owners insurance?

I had a good long chat with the local fire chief last night at a Halloween chilli supper, and will have his approval as soon as I get ready to start the process. All he wants is a copy of the NFPA 1127, and the MSDS sheets. He was familiar with the process, as he said there are quite a few people in my area with BP magazines.

Back