leup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labounty8

Reaction score
what is the average cost involved in getting low explosives permit ,after buying storage container?

after buying a magazine.......

$100 for 3 years and $50 for renewal.

Plus if you get a fire extinguisher it may be $50-100. Ours was $80 and can put everything out except a railroad tie.

Ben

Thanks Ben, I had read (skimmed) some documents last year and had the $100 figure stuck in my head but I was thinking it was $100 per year. It's still a lot but not as bad as I had thought.

The attached garage varience may bite you. The requirment is for a 1-hour fire wall and door. My local building code required a 1-hour fire wall when I added the garage, but they allow a 20-minute door in that wall because they assume that you will not stack flammable materials against the door. BATFE interpreted the varience as requiring a one-hour door as well. That was an extra $300 plus roughly $50 each for a fire-rated lockset and a UL rated door closer which makes it difficult to open the door while holding a bag of groceries. If your house does not already have a one-hour fire wall separating it from the garage (older construction does not) then figure on $1000 to meet that requirment. You need to open a discussion with your local fire marshall before BATFE contacts him to see if he has any problems with your locating an explosives magazine in your garage. My state (CT) and local fire laws do not even apply to class C explosive (or whatever the newer UN designation is) so he had no problem with those. Beyond that would require a state explosives license as well.

The attached garage varience may bite you. The requirment is for a 1-hour fire wall and door. My local building code required a 1-hour fire wall when I added the garage, but they allow a 20-minute door in that wall because they assume that you will not stack flammable materials against the door. BATFE interpreted the varience as requiring a one-hour door as well. That was an extra $300 plus roughly $50 each for a fire-rated lockset and a UL rated door closer which makes it difficult to open the door while holding a bag of groceries. If your house does not already have a one-hour fire wall separating it from the garage (older construction does not) then figure on $1000 to meet that requirment. You need to open a discussion with your local fire marshall before BATFE contacts him to see if he has any problems with your locating an explosives magazine in your garage. My state (CT) and local fire laws do not even apply to class C explosive (or whatever the newer UN designation is) so he had no problem with those. Beyond that would require a state explosives license as well.

Not sure what we have but we got our garage variance and our house was built in 1997. The only thing we did which my dad and I did before the FM came by, was add a deadbolt to the side door out of the garage.

We also had to buy a fire extinguisher that has to be easily accessable

Ben

mine will be in my barn which is 150 feet away from my house ,about 200 feet from the road and about a 1/8 miles from any of my neighbors.

mine will be in my barn which is 150 feet away from my house ,about 200 feet from the road and about a 1/8 miles from any of my neighbors.

remember its an Indoor Type 4. Distances don't apply in indoor**

Ben

** I am not saying ALL distances don't apply but you can have a "shack" 10 feet from your house with a magazine init.

just saying that it isnt attached to house so i shouldnt have to worry about fire wall should i?

would a wood lined ,waterproof,fireproof safe work for a class 4 storage magazine

The BATFE rules concerning explosive storage are found in the ORANGE BOOK which can be downloaded here.

https://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/2007edition/index.htm

All BATFE storage and magazine requirements are listed in Subpart K below.

https://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/2007edition/subpart_k.pdf

Talk to the locals first. You must get local approval from your local fire chief, fire marshall or other local permit granting authority on your magazine before you get your explosives permit. If the locals turn you down, the Feds will also.

Bob

It also depends on what state you live in. Here in the State of Washington, it will now cost you about $150 per year in state license fees in addition to the BATFE fees :mad:

ATF inspected my house today, she said the $100.00 is good for 3 years.

Don't have the permitt yet. All went well. A few weeks we are thinking.

I got my leup about a 7 months ago. It did take a while after the inspection before I got my permit almost 2 months later. Hopefully yours will come faster all I know once the inspection was done all I could think of was all the motors I could buy.:)

Back