Leup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrier

Reaction score
Now not being new to the rocket hobby, but new to the mid power level, what is the LEUP? How do you get one or does one need one. A lot of chatter about the BATFE regulating reloads, but I don't want to be stuck with aG40. My new toy will require a G64.

You won't need one for a G64. A LEUP stands for Low Explosive User Permit. You need one to purchase AP motors with over 62.5 grams of propellant. The G64 is right on this borderline, but it's ok. However, teh G33 and G74 are some consumer loads that require one. There is a new exemption to this law, you can buy all the SU motors you want regardless of the prop. weight. I may be wrong on that last part, however that's how I understand it.

as a result of a recent judgement, at least until the end of the year "assembled" motors are considered PADs so you do NOT need an LEUP.

both NAR and Tripoli web sites have the letter from the judge saying so.

note: the motors need to be stored assembled.

so go buy whatever you want and keep it assembled with a copy of the letter.

I don't know much about HPR motors, but I would recommend that you store them w/o greasing anything, basically just throwing all the grains and stuff into the liner and screwing the forward and aft closures on just a tad. That would count as assembled, right?

Jason

... it would count as assembled. I have to agree about not greasing though. seems safer not to, even though we all have left assembled motors for months or even a year(!) with no ill effects.

(... then there is the argument about whether Cesaroni motors are pre-assembled or not. they almost assemble themselves!)

NAR and Tripoli have made it very clear they will not tolerate any "enforcement actions" from BATFE. So print out the letter and carry it with you - it has phone numbers for presidents and lawyers. even if you don't use it, good to have with you ;)

again, only true until the end of the year. so let's get out and do some HPR and don't worry about a thing!! at the end of the year we will look at the booming motor sales and perfect safety record and have a very good evidence for the next step. Do your part - buy a bunch and fly safely!!

I believe that there is some talk going around that reloads are exempt for the time being and some dealers will let you come in with an RMS case and walk out with an assembled motor or PAD.

In my case, I was able to buy an H123W and H128W from my onsite dealer last weekend with no questions asked.

As for G64W's you could buy a whole truckload of them and the ATF would care less even though they are right at the limit as they contain exactly 62.5 grams of APCP.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but regulating G33J's and G75J's even though they contain more than 62.5 grams of APCP, I think that's a joke. It's a Blackjack for cryin' out loud. What damage could it possibly do:confused:

Back