LEUP: We as good as got it!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, we had our inspection... And I slept through the whole dang thing... :D Good thing too, cause the inspector person said that if I wanted to know more about the ATF and its laws and regulations... They would have regretted it.... :kill: My dad said he didnt wake me up for it because he knew I would give them a piece of my mind... :D Proabably a very, very smart idea. :D :p

They were about to fail us because our garage was too close... But then tehy called thier superiors and they said it didnt matter. We still had to get a GPS location of our garage, though. We also had to contact magnum and the place that makes the explosives magazines, but in the end, we are all right. They say that if we dont have it in a week and a half, to call them! :D So it looks like we got us a LEUP! Yay!!!

jus' wanna gloat. :D

Dunno... Proabably. Its teh standard Magnum magazine, so I guess they have seen them before...

Just a quick note on magazines:

This past Spring I stopped at the Cabela's store in Owatonna, Minnesota to buy some BP. I asked the salesman if I could see their storage magazine which happens to be the same one they sell. He said "Sure" and then mentioned that they had one in their Bargain Cave (where they sell returned merchandise). I took a look in the cave and sure enough there was one there which happens to look just like the Magnum one. One key was missing and I was able to purchase it for $75, I believe. The retail price on them is $235. I then had another key made and now I'm set.

Now I've got to get my LEUP converted from off to on-site storage.

My point is - I got very lucky! And you could too.

Here's a link to the mag.
Click Me

BHPete

Originally posted by karatekicker271
So i guess we couldnt get one cuz our garage is connected to our house??

I am curious to the rules about this also.

Jason

that must be where the 75' from any dwelling comes into play

mine is also connected

I've heard you can get an exemption and/or a variance for this if the attached garage meets requirements...

Jason

Well, we just got an official-looking piece of paper in the mail... My dad and I cant tell if its our actual LEUP or not... It has our LEUP number though...

My dad expects the real thing soon... I cant wait to use it! :D

Forgot to mention, you can get a variance for various requirements of your application; it's up to the field agent to authorize it though.

Carl

Originally posted by Neil
Well, we just got an official-looking piece of paper in the mail... My dad and I cant tell if its our actual LEUP or not... It has our LEUP number though...

My dad expects the real thing soon... I cant wait to use it! :D

They now send your permit before final approval. If you are applying for any variances you can not store until you receive a letter saying that your variances are approved. This can take a while, mine took 5 months ( attached garage and locks) after I received my LEUP. When in doubt check with your agent.

Well, we got it today!!!!

Two envelopes came from the NLC... One saying that my dad is a "Responsible person under regulation blah blah blah", and the other our LEUP! So now my dad is a govt certified responsible person... :D :D :D we all had a good laugh over that, during which the ATF got bashed a whole stinkin lot... Other names also got the daylights bashed out of them, but this is not the place... ;)

So now all we have to do is make copies and send em to the vendors and we are good to go!

We are all very pleased, and my dad said it was actually much easier than he thought (he deals with silly regulations all the time in his job, so hes used to it, thank goodness...), but I beg to differ... The envelope that the variance came in was made of Tyvek, and it took me the better part of 10 minutes to get it open! :eek: :kill:

Dang ATF, they make everying harder than it needs to be!!! :D ;) (sorry Mods, couldent resist. :D )

10 minutes to open an envelope?

Ok, you have your LEUP, now you need to stop building rockets and buy motors for the ones you have!

Also, you shouldn't complain AT ALL. It took my dad nearly a year. You should THANK the ATF for their promptness.

Double post, movin on up the ranks;)

Originally posted by Neil
Well, we got it today!!!!

Two envelopes came from the NLC... One saying that my dad is a "Responsible person under regulation blah blah blah", and the other our LEUP! \

Did you have to apply for any variances? or were you able to meet all the requirements.

If you did apply for any variances you have to wait for them to be approved. It comes seperate. I received my LEUP and my responsible persons blah blah in June of 2003 (before my inspection). I did not receive approval for my variances until Sept. 03. Until the variance approval arrives you have no storage ie. no LEUP.

Naw, we got a variance from the ATF two days before the LEUP. I think we got it... There was also a sticker to put on our explosives magazine, so I assume that means they OKd it....

I thought mine was a done deal. I got a call from the regional office asking about my variance request and I said it was already OK'd. They said nope:( Luckily I had not bought anything that was going to be stored.

Now, I was caught up in the whole mess with the new locks on the Magnum box, so that could have caused my delays. I am just paranoid about anything it has to do with the ATF. It still might be worth a call to your agent before buying.

Congratulations regardless, it is nice to buy what you want when you want it.

This wasnt just ANY envelope... :eek: it was made of Tyvec, and my super-dull sciscors couldent open it... It took me about 5 mintues to figure out that there was a tab to pull... :eek: so I guess it wasnt 10 minutes, I was exagerating... :eek: :D

Back