Letter to the mgmt: attachments need tweeking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
The size restrictions need to be looked at (ie the allowed sizes should be increased considerably, like maybe 1M). Also, please add the extensions for all the normal rocket design files alx1 (RASAero), eng, rkt, rse (RockSim). I don't know the extensions for SpaceCAD or VCP.

rocketguy101

Reaction score
I agree w/ rstaff3 -- the old attachment size was small compared to YORF& RP now they are really restrictive -- I was going to repost a build thread that was lost in the crash--but I can't pics used to be 100KB now the limit is 97.7 for jpg, everything else looks like 19.5 KB?

powderburner

Reaction score
Wow! Two megs?!? Are you trying to post the entire Bible? (just kidding!)

If we could have the old size limits (was it a 100K limit for any type of attachment?) I think they worked pretty well

I know that we sometimes had to do a little extra work to edit pictures and get them under the size limit, but that was probably a good thing anyway. I mean, do we really want to burn up all that bandwidth and file storage forever, when five minutes of file manipulation can cut attachment size by an order-of-magnitude (or two)? From what I saw, any time someone wanted a hi-res version of something, the author always seemed happy to email or PM the data on the side, and this kept the online TRF data moving a bit easier.

I will also point out that I am among the bunch that is going to need help doing some of these file manipulations. But also kinda enjoy learning a little about that stuff too. And someone on TRF always seems to come up with a suggestion for some online freeware so we don't have to go get a $100 piece of store-bought deluxe software.

Anyway, I think the previous (TRF1) approach was working OK, maybe we should start with that?

Last edited:

rocketguy101

Reaction score
my biggest beef was with pdf sizes...I had a few that I could not get below 150KB w/ Adobe.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I've had .rkt files over 100K. IMHO the number of pdfs and design files are small so there should be little reason to make these much larger. On the other hand, people will post lots of image files. I don't know what size limits/cost implications there are with the service provider.

powderburner

Reaction score
Maybe there is a way to put a time limit on how long they are retained. Then we could all squabble about how long that should be---

Myself, I always hate it when I am data mining and I come across some old thread that looks really great, and the thread promises to present some really good/hard-to-find/accurate/authoritative data in image form, and I start to wet myself, and when I click on the link.....it's dead.

So I vote for smaller posts that can be retained. Until TRF3.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
AK, a few more comments:

1. The 'roc' extension for SpaceCad should be added
2. The size of the rkt files should be 200k. many are over 100k and with RockSim 9+ the complexity of the designs that are possible will jump. People don't post that many so I doubt size is an issue here. You might just as well make that the limit for all rocket design files, just in case.
3. I would like larger graphics limits, but I guess I'd have to resize my photos whether the limit is 100k or 2MB. At least 100K is needed IMO.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
And we really need to get some of the other formats up to about 100K as well - specifically PDF files. I was going to re-introduce the BT-5 mmx classic rocket downscales, but there is no way I can put up the wraps with the limits where they are now. Personally, I can live with the jpg limit of 100K.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I agree on that one too. BTW, zips are almost at 100k so in the interrim that format could be used.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Keep in mind that for every file uploaded to the site, it consumes server space storing the image, plus additional overhead in keeping track of it.

It would be very easy for the space to become an issue.

In addition, there are bandwidth impacts. Almost all hosting agreements these days have bandwidth limits -- exceed them and they either block traffic to your site, or charge you more.

So, large files "double dip," by chewing up server space as well as bandwidth every time they're viewed/downloaded.

Needless to say, to me, 1MB or 2MB file size allowances for photos are excessive. For folks uploading photos, resizing them to screen resolution/size is not only easier on the folks viewing them, it's easier on the folks hosting, as well.

Besides, unless you're uploading them for folks to download and print, that kind of file size isn't necessary.

My 2 cents worth. (Aren't you glad you didn't ask?)

-Kevin

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
You bring up good points. I hadn't thought of the BW issue. 100k is fine with me except on the rkt files that need a bit more. These could probably be zipped also, but I don't think many will be posted when compared to photos.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Personally, I think 100K is fine for pics - you can loss down a jpg to below 100K and it will still look pretty good on the computer. And if, for some reason, you need a higher resolution pic, you can always link to an external photo site like flickr.

BTW, I tried zipping the pdf files I referenced in an earlier post - no go - zipping a pde file is a lot like trying to zip a gif - it is already about as efficient as it's gonna get, and often the zip file is larger than the file you tried to compress. (The files were already tightened up with Distiller - it's hard to get a pdf down below 40K).

Trident

Retired, plenty of kits
Reaction score
Picture resizing is simple in Irfanview, once you kind of get the hang of it. You can batch resize, rename, etc. You can do it on entire directories of pictures, too. Simple yet powerful.

My wife uses it to remove red eye from pics on her piece of junk 7MP Olympus that supposedly had this and 27 other cool settings... sorry, I digress.

Anyway, Irfanview is much simpler for this than trying to do it in Photoshop.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Thanks to the admins for upping the sizes on the existing file types :)

Please don't forget the rocket design extensions too - alx1, rkt, eng, rse, cp and roc.

TIA

Pippen

Reaction score
Attachments aren't opening for me unless I'm logged in. Is that how the new site is set up or do I have a problem?

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Lotsa pics for me come up as the dreaded red X..

They work when clicking on them, but are the red X in the thread..

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Attachments aren't opening for me unless I'm logged in. Is that how the new site is set up or do I have a problem?
I don't know if you have a problem or not, but yes, that's how it works. ;)

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Lotsa pics for me come up as the dreaded red X..

They work when clicking on them, but are the red X in the thread..
Everything seems fine on my end as far as I can tell.

Der Red Max

Reaction score
Last edited:

Pippen

Reaction score
I don't know if you have a problem or not, but yes, that's how it works. ;)
:eek: Well, there was a practice driving trip with the teenager in possession of a new learner's permit yesterday...

Pippen

Reaction score
Being a moderator, you might have an inside lane, but I wouldn't hold ones breath.
I haven't seen anyone (those in "management") address our concerns here in this forum for over a week
Thanks for the redirect to the other thread.

brianc

Reaction score
Also, please add the extensions for all the normal rocket design files alx1 (RASAero), eng, rkt, rse (RockSim).
I ran into the rkt issue tonight. Also add rsa (RockSim assemblies).

THANX!