Let's talk about Software Defined Radio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I want to buy a SDR and dip a toe into that hobby. Looking for advice on the good and the bad, and also what forums those folks might hang out in?

I am amazed at the signals analysis these things can do. Back in my broadcast transmitter days I woulda given up one of the bosses testicles for test equipment this cool.

Hi everyone-

I want to buy a SDR and dip a toe into that hobby. Looking for advice on the good and the bad, and also what forums those folks might hang out in?

I am amazed at the signals analysis these things can do. Back in my broadcast transmitter days I woulda given up one of the bosses testicles for test equipment this cool.
If you want to dip-a-toe I highly recommend RTL-SDR. Cheap to start and tons of compatible opensource software.

RTL-SDR (RTL2832U)
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

RTL-SDRv3 are $25, best way to get started. I have a half dozen or so scattered around, doing different things. Best thing is, lots and lots of software available, for all platforms.

SDR PLAY is a nice unit, technically superior to RTL SDR. But most uses may not need the extra bits of resolution.

Also, their software is Windows only. I have no success getting it to work on Linux. Part of the driver is a blob, closed source.

If you get really in to it, high end SDRs go for $300, $1000, more.

Enjoy!

SDR PLAY is a nice unit, technically superior to RTL SDR. But most uses may not need the extra bits of resolution.

Also, their software is Windows only. I have no success getting it to work on Linux.
They're working on a complete rewrite that will be multiplatform, but when it'll be done who knows.

I agree the RTL-SDR is a good place to start, I've used it for ADS-B and APRS and other stuff and it works well for the price.

Again thanks for the tips. Let's drill down.

1) As far as the hardware goes I live in an apartment so superior RF performance is necessary. Also won't more bits in the front end decode noisy signals better, later after DSP is applied?

2) Want to cover at least all US broadcast bands, aviation, satellites if it's remotely possible(?), honestly any cool stuff it can find would interest me

3) The software is always from other vendors from who make the dongles? You are free to mix-n-match your favorite dongle & favorite app?

As far as the hardware goes I live in an apartment so superior RF performance is necessary.
Doesn't follow... Receive performance depends on the antenna. Make or buy antennas that are most appropriate for what you are trying to listen to.

The only things about apartment living are difficult to get the antenna outside, and lots of interference from various electronics around you.

You can buy a preamp and various filters to go between the antenna and the SDR. I never have needed either.

More bits doesn't always help in noisy receive situations.

2, yes you can do all that, with one SDR. Obviously satellite antennas are different than broadcast radio antennas, are different than ADS-B, etc.

3. Download SDR Radio, my favorite on windows. Mind bogglingly capable, and free.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/

There are many other programs. All of them work with the $25 RTL SDR.

Thanks all for the guidance. I got a RTL-SDRv3 and am struggling to install it. Plug and play this ain't!
Are you overthinking this somehow?

Are you hung up on actually installing the RTL-SDRv3? Or, on learning to use the receiving program?

Back