Let's see your rocket workshops!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
We're moving to a new house next week and I'll have a dedicated rocketry workshop area. I'd love to see what other people have done for their rocketry corners of the world.

Mine will be about 11x22 ft - about the size of a 1 car garage. While that's plenty space to build rockets, I know I could easily fill up all that space. I'm sure there are a huge variety of work space sizes - from the kitchen table up to huge dedicated buildings. Please share what you've learned to make the best of your shops!

One of the things I'm curious about is rocket storage. Are there good solutions for hanging rockets from the ceiling, on walls, etc?

Thanks!

It's a bit more full now, this was a couple of months after I bought my house last year. I have a long foldout table that stays in the middle of this space now too. This is one side of a two car garage

Attachments

• 20201002_151724.jpg
    20201002_151724.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 124
Those are some great looking work areas, everybody. I now know that I need a lift in my rocket shop! ;)

Who else!?

I highly recommend making one of these. They’re called tape thongs…seriously. But it’s really nice because it keeps all my various tapes up off the bench and from getting nasty.
DFAE5D9C-FF58-45DE-8FAC-DE7D50E3F523.jpeg
So this is my new workshop which is roughly 19x12. Going to get a flatscreen down here at some point. It also doubles as a spot for all my disc golf club stuff since I run a couple of leagues and tournaments every year. Trying to leave the area in the middle open so I can move my work bench around and put folding tables out in the middle as needed.

F95D25C5-AF89-4862-A833-728F0D18CF33.jpeg16EA95CF-8A16-4DEF-AC59-250538C5DF56.jpeg

I would be ashamed to show pictures of the inside of our shop! When Sandra and I bought it in 2014, (12 x 32), we thought it would never get filled - wrong.
Am envious of some of the posts above - but it is giving me some inspiration to do better. The nice thing about our shop is that it has two large lofts where we can store things - lots of things. And it is finished out, with heat, air and insulation. For displaying rockets, we use racks mounted on the walls that have 1/2" dowels mounted at a 45 degree angle (for the LPR stuff) and we use bungee cords to hang the larger models from the "rafters". But we are running out of
room, so are installing some more shelving this weekend. Of course, since I've been doing this since 1967, I have lots of stuff.

Attachments

• 100_0131.JPG
    100_0131.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0322.JPG
    100_0322.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 37
Floor epoxy next, then paint & trim, then shelves & worksurfaces incl. sink. I'm on like year 4 of this 2-year project....

Attachments

• next_up_epoxy_and_paint.jpg
    next_up_epoxy_and_paint.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
That could just as well be the rig of an elephant dentist!! But I like it, I'm always knocking Dremels off shelves by getting tangled up in the cords.

Just a metal desk in a 1 car garage I'm renting here at the Condos, on one side.
vYNrpBD.jpg

other side has some short dowels on a discarded side panel of a closet system:
mhY4sdE.jpg

Back