LET'S SEE YOUR LOCKDOWN GLIDER BUILDS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being stuck at home might have been a PITA of a restriction, but the bright side was that it was an opportunity to work on that kit or scratch build. Let's see yours!

Here are a few of mine for starters:

Upscaled Jet Freak
Jet Freak 1.33 Upscaled.JPG

AeroDagger scratch-built delta
Aerodagger.JPG

Hoverson Silver Hawk (from orig. kit)
Silver Hawk-2.JPG

2X Manta
Manta 2X Upscale.JPG

Alchemy scratch-built 45° flop wing
Alchemy 45° flop wing open.JPG
Alchemy 45° flop wing.JPG

Icarus scratch competition-oriented glider
Icarus competition glider-1.JPG

Edmonds Aerospace Cici clone
CiCi.JPG

Scratch C Slide Wing
Kepler slide wing-2.JPG
Kepler slide wing-1.JPG

Last edited:
All of the Rocket gliders except the ME163 I purchased from Dyanasoar Rocketry Frank puts out a great products and decals from Sticker Shock Mark also puts a great products.

Yes with a water base paint from Hobby Lobby. I use the water base for two reasons one doesn’t ruin the foam two when it dries adds very very little weight,also easy clean up😃

Yes with a water base paint from Hobby Lobby. I use the water base for two reasons one doesn’t ruin the foam two when it dries adds very very little weight,also easy clean up😃
Once dry it's permanent (damp grass/ground won't affect it)?

The multi-roc. First time I flew it, we had trouble seeing that little glider, so I upscaled it. Both fly great, but the big one is easier to follow. drags the booster to about 45 degrees on the way up though.
scratch flexwing, booster in progress.
modified mini-heli

IMG_0707.JPG

Does it count if I'm repairing instead of building?

The tail cone caught fire on last flight....was pretty wild, seeing it flying around with flames on the back.
Deciding whether to apply light aluminum sheet or replace the tail cone with a piece of BT cone painted with something flame proof.

Attachments

• Wasatch%20SST%2520dusk.JPG
    Wasatch%20SST%2520dusk.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 17
  • SSTComponents.jpg
    SSTComponents.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 20
  • tail cone flame damage.jpg
    tail cone flame damage.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You put some thin aluminum tape that they use on air condition ducts and it shouldn’t add that much weight just use enough to cover the motor flame area.

I have an SST that I finished during the pandemic based on techniques similar to the DynaSoar Rocketry Orion Star Liner. I tried to fly it at the Club meet in March, but couldn't get the G12 motor to ignite. It is still awaiting it's maiden flight.

Attachments

• IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Concorde SSt.JPG
    Concorde SSt.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
Here is an Estes Falcon, scratch-built from plans found on-line, I had some nice 5 pound contest balsa, it flies really well from hand launch as it is, so I am afraid to add paint.
Use permanent markers, they add zero weight and you don't have to wait for it to dry.

I have built 4 RC RGs during Covid, plus 4 free flight models. Details on most in other threads in here.

Dynasoar Rocketry Avro Vulcan
Coaster Dynasoar Centuari
Athena
Mizuno Sinryu Type II
MX Falcon
MX Orbital transport
Estes Gryphon
No picture yet, but I have a Semroc/Centuri Space Shuttle almost ready to paint.

Attachments

• newrcrg.jpg
    newrcrg.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 15
  • MS-2-3.jpeg
    MS-2-3.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 90BCFFE0-2BAB-41C7-899A-0C3849FF909F.jpeg
    90BCFFE0-2BAB-41C7-899A-0C3849FF909F.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2E007098-BB3F-451A-A708-BA98AB8B90B1.jpeg
    2E007098-BB3F-451A-A708-BA98AB8B90B1.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have built 4 RC RGs during Covid, plus 4 free flight models. Details on most in other threads in here.

Athena
MX Falcon
MX Orbital transport
Estes Gryphon
No picture yet, but I have a Semroc/Centuri Space Shuttle almost ready to paint.
That Mizuno Shinryu is incredible!

Here is an Estes Falcon, scratch-built from plans found on-line, I had some nice 5 pound contest balsa, it flies really well from hand launch as it is, so I am afraid to add paint.
Can 5 pound contest balsa survive a boost? I've had one rocket (my first Odd'l Cyclone) shred at launch due to overly-light balsa, and I've seen a scratch boost glider do the same. But I don't know how robust the wings on the Falcon are.

Athena
Mizuno Sinryu Type II
MX Falcon
MX Orbital transport
Estes Gryphon
Nice fleet!👍

Try something like THIS, Frank !

Something "High-Performance" like a B - RCRG . . . Economical to fly, too !

Dave F

Not speaking for Frank, but I have a couple of B size RC BGs. They are fun in their own way, but not as much fun for me as the fun scale and fantasy scale models like Franks and mine.

Years back I converted the Eflite Whipit from a small bind and fly hand launch RC glider into a RC BG for A and B motors. Has about 8-9 flights on it

Attachments

• 99B2F9F8-3983-4D74-853B-FF6DBFFF7BCE.jpeg
    99B2F9F8-3983-4D74-853B-FF6DBFFF7BCE.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 6
  • 960E4706-E470-44F3-A8F0-62C7398171A5.jpeg
    960E4706-E470-44F3-A8F0-62C7398171A5.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 6
Speaking of lock down glider builds, I am off to a regional launch (Texas Shootout in Seymour, TX) this weekend with Dave Shaefer and hope to get a first flight on my four RC RC builds from this winter and spring, at last. Will launch the little Estes Gryphon, as well.

My normal super photographer buddy, Richard Ng, cannot make it. I will try to dragoon someone to take some flight photos and hopefully some video as well.

Back