Let's See Your Lawndarts... (Or Tell Us Your Tale(s) Of Lawndarts.)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Big Daddy lawn darted harmlessly in February. Now before you start dissing the BD and it’s tendency to land nose first, let me point out that the motor was at fault this time, not the nose cone. It was the first flight of the day, I sent it on a D12-3, and the ejection charge utterly fizzled; barely put a pinhole in the side of the clay cap. So it flew up beautifully, tipped over, and flew straight back down. Happily the ground was very soft from months of rain and no significant damage was done.

1978D178-1141-45E6-ACE6-25E4484BB8CA.jpeg

It's been a few years, back when I was beginning. I flew a pretty basic 4" rocket, an upscale of the Aerotech Mustang, and I'd forgotten to shorten the delay on the ejection charge. The chute came out just a few feet above the ground, but effectively made a core sample, shattering the phenolic airframe.
This was in Switzerland, a multiple-day launch close to Neuchatel. That evening, at the awards dinner, they gave me a shovel, and the nickname "No Chute Steve".

One of the 4H kids this summer. He took it in stride, shortened her up and kept flying.

Attachments

• bent mean machine..jpg
    bent mean machine..jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 21
A 4X upscale Big Daddy named Beer Daddy.
Yes --- that means 12" diameter with a 6-inch motor and 4-54mm airstarts.
Fortunately the keg was ejected before this happened .... no beer was lost!

Fully recovered and flown twice more - now a hanger queen.
IMG_4018.JPG

My Big Daddy lawn darted harmlessly in February. Now before you start dissing the BD and it’s tendency to land nose first, let me point out that the motor was at fault this time, not the nose cone. It was the first flight of the day, I sent it on a D12-3, and the ejection charge utterly fizzled; barely put a pinhole in the side of the clay cap. So it flew up beautifully, tipped over, and flew straight back down. Happily the ground was very soft from months of rain and no significant damage was done.

View attachment 511786

Here are some more on the same field (Sixty Acres North in Redmond, WA). First, Estes Checkmate - streamer didn't get out. So technically a core sample, I guess.

IMG_2446.JPG

Tazz. But this is really a normal landing for this.
IMG_2443.JPG

Alpha. This was from an Estes C6 that didn't fire the ejection charge, so a lawn dart from about 1000 feet.

IMG_2174.JPG

Big Bertha (in my high school colors). Shock cord failure, so again, really a core sample.

IMG_3272.JPG

Same model another time... this time wimpy ejection charge/failure to deploy and again, some core sample action.

IMG_4026.jpg

And finally another Checkmate. This time failure of second stage ignition. Also, this was in the summer....the field wasn't as forgiving as you can see by the crumpled body tube right at the ground.

IMG_4710.JPG

The Alpha, the Big Bertha and the Tazz are all still flying. The Alpha got a significant rebuild after the body streamlined into a much harder surface after a shock cord failure. It made its 104th flight (and at Sixty Acres) last Sunday.

I'm on my third Checkmate now. I think that last picture was probably the beginning of the end for the second one.

Last edited:
After looking at all these pictures and videos it's going to kill me when I do have my first one.
Well, believe it or not I've only had ONE pranger in 52 years! It was back in the early 70's, a Centuri Starfire, went up straight and came down the same way.Did no damage whatsoever.That rocket went on for years after that.

2020-07-13 004.JPG

July 13, 2020 -- After getting my L1 in May, converting to dual deployment and getting my L2 in June, I was doing a fun launch in July in the single deployment mode to use up smaller motors. On its third launch of the day, the motor deployment BP didn't pop off the nosecone. My trusty Zephyr did a spectacular lawn dart from 2,000 feet up into hardpack. It is now a memorial on my mantle as a lesson in excessive hubris.

Back