Let's see your launch towers!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting a print of your 29mm tower. Thank you for uploading the file. Excited to see how it works! Im doing mine out of ABS.

Last edited:
Awesome! ABS should work great too. I just updated my Thingiverse page with a link to the Aluminum angle extrusion I used for the support structure. I also added my 24mm tower here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3712223

Let it be known that if you break any of my altitude records using my launch tower design, you owe me a beer. :)

Here's the 24mm tower in action:
YouTube title image - lens corrected.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 79
Awesome! ABS should work great too. I just updated my Thingiverse page with a link to the Aluminum angle extrusion I used for the support structure. I also added my 24mm tower here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3712223

Let it be known that if you break any of my altitude records using my launch tower design, you owe me a beer. :)

Here's the 24mm tower in action:
View attachment 386867

Definitely appreciate it, if by some miracle I do I will send you a couple six packs of your choosing [emoji869]

Definitely appreciate it, if by some miracle I do I will send you a couple six packs of your choosing [emoji869]
Haha, sounds great. I'd rather meet up for a multi-day launch and celebrate your record over a few drinks though.

I'm planning a G record attempt this weekend...fingers crossed!

BDB requested a 4-fin version of my 29mm launch tower 3d-printed brackets. I was bored on the couch, so I slapped one together. I haven't printed it, so this is completely untested. However, here it is: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4092607

Thanks!

The plan is to use it for my daughter's Apogee Aspire. I'll print it this weekend and report back to tell you how it works.

Thanks!

The plan is to use it for my daughter's Apogee Aspire. I'll print it this weekend and report back to tell you how it works.
You're welcome. I hope it works great for her Aspire.

I put notches for 3 pieces of L aluminum, but you should really only need 2. Unless you just want extra strength, I think you'd be fine with one opposite the 1010 rail hole and one more on another side.

Good luck with it!

I designed my tower systems to handle 3 or 4 fins, 29mm - 5" OD. It can be reconfigured in about 15 minutes. It uses 3/16" steel rings and 1" EMT conduit for the rails. I changed the design to use a solid 3/16" steel base plate instead of the ring pictured here. It isn't cheap, but it's probably the easiest to configure tower of any on the market.

296957796.jpg

https://ape-rc.com/#!/Adjustable-Launch-Tower-System/p/52604059/category=11909535
Hi Chris, I’m just seeing your post now, and the link shows the freakin’ AWSOME tower you engineered and built as unavailable. Is it something you would make again? I hope so.

Best Regards
Steve

Hi, Ralf !

The tension on the screws is pre-adjusted by the Rocketeer. Usually, the friction is sufficient and no re-adjustment is needed.

Dave F.
Dave, is “friction” measured in ‘thousandths’ or do you stick your tongue out and tilt your head? What do YOU prefer as ‘proper clearance’? No criticism, just asking. Someone mentioned using felt, is that a bad idea? Granted that you’ll have to change them as they get scorched

Dave, is “friction” measured in ‘thousandths’ or do you stick your tongue out and tilt your head? What do YOU prefer as ‘proper clearance’? No criticism, just asking. Someone mentioned using felt, is that a bad idea? Granted that you’ll have to change them as they get scorched
Dave please send me the LT information you have also. Thanks!

"Sufficient friction" is determined when the rocket does not cause the rails to move and the Rocketeer must apply significant force to them to readjust their spacing. On some tower designs, the supports are not kept in position by Friction, at all.

The "Versa Tower" and similar designs use Friction, whereas a Tower that I designed ( last pic ) requires adjusting bolts and locking them in place. ( Slow to adjust but, once set, they "stay put" ).

Send me an email to get the Tower info.

[email protected]

Dave F.

VERSA_TOWER-C.jpg

1b.jpg

1f.jpg

APOGEE MEDALIST TOWER -001 - RESIZE.jpg

tower-a.jpg

My, that's some pretty machining work. Are those fine-thread screws and turnbuckles? Who did those fancy green rings?

I did that all, myself, using common hand tools.

Rings :

9" diameter PVC / 1/2" thick walls . . . ( I have 4 more, larger, rings, if anybody is interested - See Pic )

Rings were "sliced", by hand, using a Hack Saw ( about 30 minutes per cut / 1 hour per ring ) . . . An "arm buster" !
The Lightening holes were done, using a 2 1/2" Doorknob Hole Saw on a 3/8" Electric Drill.

Alignment / Support Bars :

1" square aluminum tubing. Double through-bolted to each ring, for rigidity.

Rails :

1/2" Aluminum U-Channel, with Brass "Hurricane / Storm Shutter mounting insert, screwed into the channel and braced with epoxy.

Adjusters:

L-O-N-G 1/4" bolts, with Long Hex Nuts and a Wing Nut to lock-in final adjustment.

Dave F.

HPR TOWER RINGS -003 med.jpg

Last edited:
I did that all, myself, using common hand tools.

Rings :

12" diameter PVC / 3/4" thick walls . . . ( I have 4 more, if anybody is interested - See Pic )

Rings were "sliced", by hand, using a Hack Saw ( about 30 minutes per cut / 1 hour per ring ) . . . An "arm buster" !
The Lightening holes were done, using a 2 1/2" Doorknob Hole Saw on a 3/8" Electric Drill.

Alignment / Support Bars :

1" square aluminum tubing. Double through-bolted to each ring, for rigidity.

Rails :

1/2" Aluminum U-Channel, with Brass "Hurricane / Storm Shutter mounting insert, screwed into the channel and braced with epoxy.

Adjusters:

L-O-N-G 1/4" bolts, with Long Hex Nuts and a Wing Nut to lock-in final adjustment.

Dave F.

View attachment 426918
Sent you an email Dave. I am VERY interested in purchasing the 4 halos you have. Please advise. Thanks!

Steve

My tower uses 9" diameter rings and was built for LPR NAR Competition . . . Your rings are considerably larger.

2" diameter is probably the largest for me ( Egglofters ), given the size and its intended usage. That rocket in the pic is BT-50 diameter.

Dave F.

Last edited:
Here's a "smaller" rocket coming out of the lower half our big tower shown in post #80 of this thread.
It's a 4.5" x 11' flying on it's last flight on an 90% N-3800 with a 4.5 sec burntime.
Last flight because it was tuned to confetti at about Mach-2..... :cool:

I love how it looks coming out of the tower - how it lights up the guides.
This motor has ~20ft flame - just didn't catch it in frame as it left too quickly! :D

Gabes.jpg

Sneak peak of the redesign of my 38mm 3d printed tower. I only have a Prusa Mini right now, so this is designed to fit on a 180x180mm bed. It'll fit rockets as big as a Go Devil 38.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 9.44.18 PM.png

Back