Lenovo S10e net book problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
Ok, I know we have some computer folks here. Any help would be great.

First a disclaimer. I am a MAC guy. Have been for years.

I need a windows based OS for one work program, and I wanted a small traveling computer to watch movies on while flying to work. I thought a net book would work.

It came yesterday, and all seemed good at first. Today it started acting funny.

When it goes to sleep, it won't wake up. Yesterday I just had to hit a key to wake it up, this morning I had to press the power button to wake it, now it won't wake up at all. I have to hold the power button down until it shuts off, then restart it.

Now it is having problems connecting to the web. It takes minutes to load a page and usually times out. All the other computers load web pages fine.

It's driving me nuts! The Lenovo manuals and website are no help at all.

The net book is running Windows XP.

It came with Norton anti virus that was conflicting with an external DVD drive I bought with the computer. That has been turned off. I am trying to download another virus program now, but it went to sleep during the download! ARGG!

I have turned hibernation off, no help.

Any ideas?

Just goggled the specs on that laptop. Is this what you have?

Lenovo IdeaPad S10e Specs:
* Processor = Intel Atom N270 (1.6 GHz, 533 MHz)
* Memory = 512 MB, 1 GB, (1.5 GB only with Linux)
* Display = LED backlit display, 1024 X 576 on 10.1” S10e
* Hard Drive = 4 GB SSD/Flash or 80 or 160 GB HD 5400
* Connectivity = WiFi a/b/g, Ethernet and optional Bluetooth Battery = 3 hours for 3-cell and 5.5 hours for 6-cell Weight = 2.8 pounds
* Operating System = XP Home or SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell
* Color = grey
* Ports = VGA, 4-in-1, 2 USB, audio out, mic in, Expresscard 34 slot
* Multimedia = 1.3 megapixel built-in camera, 2 stereo speakers
* Warranty = one year, shorter periods available for limited parts replacement Split (1 year on most parts, 90 day on all other)

There are several versions of it. Do you have the one with a flash disk, or hard drive?

Problem with those types of Laptop is they are designed with cheaper components and by their very nature are a lot slower and a laptop that is a couple hundred dollars more.

I can take a look at it if you want.

Thanks,I might take you up on your offer. My son is looking at it and wants to load linux on it, to see if it is a hardware or software issue.

It has the 160 GB hard drive.

I've been using Mac's since 1995 and NEVER had this much grief with a computer before.

Oh I forgot. I ran a virus scan, it came back clean.

Last edited:
What are your Power Options settings? (Start > Control Panel > Power Options)
I'd make sure all the settings for things like turning off screens/powering down hard drives are set to off or as long as possible, at least when it's plugged into the mains. One really annoying default setting in XP is that it puts the laptop to sleep when you close the lid. I mean what use is that??

I'm guessing that XP came pre-installed on the netbook? Might be worth checking for updated drivers on Levono's website, especially for the ACPI and wifi...

Other things to check for the wifi, are the network settings correct? DHCP or static IP? IP conflict with another device on the network? Bad signal? Is it using the default XP wifi manager, or one provided by the wifi card's drivers?

Might be worth booting into linux just to double check - if you've got an SD card lying around, the easiest way to do that would be to download Ubuntu Netbook Remix and run it straight from the SD card - then you can test the wifi and whathaveyou without making any changes to your hard drive and the OS installed on that...

Phil (happily using an Eee PC 901 with Ubuntu)

Thanks Phil,

I'll give your ideas a try.

I'll look at the control panel for power options, but it's not that it goes to sleep it just won't wake up.

XP did come pre loaded. I'll check for updates. I should have thought of that.

The wifi signal is strong. How do I know if it is using XP default settings? Wouldn't Lenovo use the wifi card's?

Thanks

How do I know if it is using XP default settings? Wouldn't Lenovo use the wifi card's?

A lot of wifi cards have their own pieces of software for hooking up to networks that they install and want you to use instead of the built in windows program. In my experience, frequently there programs have issues or make life harder. The default windows program has an icon that looks like a monitor with 3 semicircle waves coming out of it. this can be seen in the sys tray, the spot of the taskbar with the time.

Well I just took the plunge Ubuntu 9.04 is on it. I am posting on it now. It seems to be much better. It wakes up fine now. It does not like the TRF page. It takes forever to load. Every other page I try pops up fast. Go figure.

I've got to say, why does anyone run Windows? It is such a pain. With Mac and Linux out there it seems to me a no brainer.

Thanks everyone! I hope this cures it.

Well I just took the plunge Ubuntu 9.04 is on it. I am posting on it now. It seems to be much better. It wakes up fine now. It does not like the TRF page. It takes forever to load. Every other page I try pops up fast. Go figure.
Good choice, I've been using 9.04 on my eee for a month or so now and I'm loving it. As for TRF taking ages to load, that's far more likely to be a problem with TRF's host than your internet/network. :rolleyes:

I've got to say, why does anyone run Windows? It is such a pain. With Mac and Linux out there it seems to me a no brainer.

Didn't you answer that question in your first post?

I need a windows based OS for one work program...

:p

Seriously, I thought the whole netbook thing was going to start the Linux revolution. Unfortunately M$ got their act together and started letting netbook vendors use XP again... And Macs are just overpriced, shiny fashion accessories. ;)

Phil

Phil, you are correct about Macs being high priced. They don't have a netbook and you have to spend $950 on a laptop. But it is nice to start it up and not worry about anything.

So far I'm liking Ubuntu. Seems very Mac like. No surprises, both based on Unix. I'll play with it for a while and see what I think.

The plan was for me to rip my DVDs to the netbook and watch them on flights (as a passenger, not the pilot!). I still have to work the bugs out of ripping the DVDs but I can watch them just fine with the external DVD. I have the 6hr battery, but I guess the DVD drive will chew into that.

Not that anyone cares, but I've been running Ubuntu now for a while and like it very much. It seems the best of both worlds, the stability of OSX and I can still run windows apps. I still have to find a nice DVD ripping program. So far thats the only thing I found that windows does better.

The 6 hour battery lasts about 3 hrs running the external DVD player, and about 4 hrs watching movies from the hard drive. Not as good as I want, but kind of impressive non the less. About the same as my old iBook.

Not bad capability for $349.

Back