Lego and ... just Lego really

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHAAAT!?? So let me get this straight.... A rocket forum with a thread dedicated to nothing but Lego?

AWESOME!!! Does it get any Better!!!!

(Ok, So I *may* have a rather, large collection of Lego sets... Starting with two Imperial Star Destroyers, Death Star, Maersk Container ship, Saturn V (Shold have bought two+ when they were easily available) etc, etc.

Have one entire closet actually. (My wife refers to it as "The Lego Cave".....Heheh, Yep! :)

Next up is The Titanic when its available again....

Anyway, very happy to see this thread!

this popped up on today's new: that Lego has value as a collectible.

I must admit, at some of the shows I've been to, it's interesting to see the Minifig vendor, with a few thousand minifigs for sale.. And how much some are going for (Including Mr. Gold!!) teh wife & point out 'got him, got him, got her, got him .. " as we go thru the line ups & groupings, and realize, some of the ones we have are in the $15- $35 range!

I have two 'paper ream' boxes full of instructions spanning the past 20 years or so..

(The wife came home with eh Modular Hotel, her birthday present, and we got another 'year of the tiger' tiger!!)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/plast...-the-eyes-and-wallets-of-collectors-1.5750953

this popped up on today's new: that Lego has value as a collectible...

The brickpicker website used to have all sorts of interesting market and investing data and features, but it all dissapeared suddenly almost 2 years ago, due to various reasons, including some kind of virus thingy or whatever :(.

Last edited:
yeah, I see it on local garage sales sites: vintage Lego set: pic shows the kit assembled (obviously played with), the box (beaten up), and the instruction (dog-eared), and they are asking $200 for it (MSRP was $34.99 10 years ago)

can it wrap non-Lego boxes?!

Of course not! If the Lego-built X-ray sensors detect anything but Lego inside the box, the machine straps TNT all around it and lauches it 20 feet away. 💥
😆

(Shold have bought two+ when they were easily available)
The Saturn V set isn't easily available anymore?

I did buy two, threw one in my basement storage area in hopes it would gain value, and built the other one (several times). Since then I check about once a year when I think about it and they don't seem to have increased in value significantly yet. I think I got it for $120 and I see it available on ebay and other places for around $140.

Considering some of the GBC machines I've seen, this isn't' too far fetched! :D

and speaking of which:

I've made the 'cycloidal drive, but it is finicky, and underpowered. the main axle is also one-sided, so it tends to wear..
https://www.planet-gbc.com/gbcmodule-akiyuki-cycloidaldrive/
but this one blows mymind!
https://www.planet-gbc.com/gbcmodule-akiyuki-invisiblelift/
(Love what Akiyuki comes up with!)
That is amazing. How much do parts cost for something like that, or do you already have a monstrous supply of Technics parts?

The Saturn V set isn't easily available anymore?

I did buy two, threw one in my basement storage area in hopes it would gain value, and built the other one (several times). Since then I check about once a year when I think about it and they don't seem to have increased in value significantly yet. I think I got it for $120 and I see it available on ebay and other places for around $140.

Check again. The second run of them was just retired.

Check again. The second run of them was just retired.
I actually checked right before posting. It doesn't seem like these are hard to find, nor gained in value, yet. I'm still going to hold onto mine and see what happens to the value in the future - no reason it can't sit on the shelf it's on for many more years to come.

1643040269866.png

I hope this question doesn't run afoul of this thread topic: how do you manage a growing Lego collection?

My daughter loves to build sets, the bigger the better. And she has relatives who love to buy them for her for birthdays and such. The problem is, we are running out of room to store all of them. Frankly, the room we're already using (bookshelves and the like) could be put to much better use doing other things.

I have suggested the some of the sets which aren't of particular sentimental value could be disassembled, packaged up and sold, in many cases for about the same as what was paid originally. That suggestion has gone nowhere. In some cases, parts have been poached from the completed assemblies and it would take some work to track them all down to reconstruct a complete set. But I can't get anyone in my family to even agree to try.

My own sets are smaller in number, and still (barely) fit on top of the credenza in my office. But I've pretty much stopped additional collecting until I figure out where to put anything more.

Open to suggestions.

disassembled, packaged up and sold,

It might be the "sell" part that they don't like. Disassemble and package them up, get some big plastic totes or something to store all the disassembled parts. My mom and I did this when I was a lego-loving kid and it worked out pretty well. I continue to do it to this day to make room for new stuff. Disassembled sets take up a lot less space, and you can rebuild the set anytime if/when you want it back, and you also have a bunch of loose pieces you can poach or use to build your own things.

I actually checked right before posting. It doesn't seem like these are hard to find, nor gained in value, yet. I'm still going to hold onto mine and see what happens to the value in the future - no reason it can't sit on the shelf it's on for many more years to come.

View attachment 501389

I was seeing some go for over $170. You're absolutely right though to give it some time. The secondary market for Saturn V's is still new, it will take time for the prices to really get up there.

It might be the "sell" part that they don't like. Disassemble and package them up, get some big plastic totes or something to store all the disassembled parts. My mom and I did this when I was a lego-loving kid and it worked out pretty well. I continue to do it to this day to make room for new stuff. Disassembled sets take up a lot less space, and you can rebuild the set anytime if/when you want it back, and you also have a bunch of loose pieces you can poach or use to build your own things.
Interestingly, it *seems* to be the "disassemble" that is the hangup. I don't know if they're even getting past that to think about the "sell" part. I suppose I will have to ask.

They are already in the $170+ range.

Does anyone know if the Launch tower was an official LEGO release? I found it in AMAZON, ($570+) with rocket, but cant find it on LEGO.com

I still have some of my space Lego sets from when I was a boy. I used to rebuild them over Thanksgiving with my kids. They are too old for it now, but it was great fun. And I'm sure it will still be fun with grandkids someday.

15109619_10102162508268034_1019872554908973406_n.jpg 10389230_10101247352796934_7067170503172606082_n.jpg

This is a loaded topic @neil_w !!

I do need to post a few pics of my Lego collection:

My hobby room is divided into 2 halves: lego on one end, and rockets / models on the other. (During Covid, I'vve not built or flown a rocket. so, that side is somewhat unused at the moment..
20190903_201238.jpg

This is the Lego end: a built in table and all Lego stored either below or above.. The lowest shelf has all teh rares & special stuff!!

Storage is typically various sized bins with the 'like pieces' in each (a bin full of 2x2,a bin full of 2x3, etc.. The left most corner has a mountain of 1xX & 2xX plates. I find it easier to pull a shoe box, then rake thru it for the colour.. the inserts from the Advent calendars are great for sorting the super small pieces you only have a few one; 1x1 plates with grabs or 'Bones' or 'Teeth' etc.. I found a few years ago soem 5-compartment trays form Ikea, which I have a few of. I also have some 'like' parts stored in baggies. Minifigs are in a big tote, but individually stored in zip locks, one for Star wars, one for Costume, one for harry Potter, etc..

20180824_201428.jpg
(this is typically how it looks!! with a mountain of 'scrap' to sort thru!!) I generally get a dozen or so kits a year. they get built, then eventually absorbed into the scrap pile & sort5ed accordingly. And yes, I have way too much of some brisk & colours, as I never use them! Bricklink one day! :D

20211211_124615.jpg

During Covid, I have managed to put together a moon base (that's 3 x 4 baseplates!) complete with some space ships & support equipment.

Also during Covid, I decided to try my hand at some 'train modulars' these are typically on the 48 x 48 baseplates. I like building industry!

20211211_133139.jpg

The above is in anticipation of a local Lego show (Local library) as well as teh typical large one in Toronto. Quebec does have one, but it's kinda weirdly run..)

Last edited:
Interestingly, it *seems* to be the "disassemble" that is the hangup. I don't know if they're even getting past that to think about the "sell" part. I suppose I will have to ask.

I get that myself. The disassembly and especially the inventorying of large sets kills your hands and takes a while. I'm trying to divest myself a bit, and I'm convincing myself to do the work by using the sale money for rockets.

I would use Bricklink to sell.
I agree.

Some pictures of the R2-D2 progress. We’re going slow, doing about one bag a night, so we don’t finish too quick and can savor the build.

As with so many of these kits the engineering is super impressive! So far we can tell that the middle foot will be held in place when he’s standing upright, but when leaned back the middle foot drops down. So cool!!

B54C41E7-0560-4E4E-87E5-46CAD899A3D1.jpeg

EC6FCD4E-31EA-4646-898E-C0E577FDEBAD.jpeg

C08A892E-8F76-4E58-BAEF-A8394F5F3203.jpeg

854EE69A-C082-4990-8ED8-739E4F09A15A.jpeg

Some pictures of the R2-D2 progress. We’re going slow, doing about one bag a night, so we don’t finish too quick and can savor the build.

As with so many of these kits the engineering is super impressive! So far we can tell that the middle foot will be held in place when he’s standing upright, but when leaned back the middle foot drops down. So cool!!

View attachment 501512

View attachment 501513

View attachment 501514

View attachment 501515
Looks great, I wish I had grabbed one of those before they went OOP. The engineering in these sets is nothing short of amazing.

It was neat talking to a few of teh designers, a the Lego conventions. one was teh designer for the car lorry / on-top tow truck. and he had teh various iterations as it was designed, and the refinements for teh final production release.

It was neat talking to a few of teh designers, a the Lego conventions. one was teh designer for the car lorry / on-top tow truck. and he had teh various iterations as it was designed, and the refinements for teh final production release.

I think that post makes history as the first ever with teh same typo 4 times. 🤣

Dyslexic fingers.
And 'teh' seems to now be a part of my spell checker! (Dunno how, but they never come up with a red wavy line anymore!)

Apparently there is a way to teach a computer to recognize your typical typos & make the right correction for it.. one day. Windows 24 maybe?! :O

(and I consciously re-read this post a few times to catch the few present, except the intentional one in question!)

Back