Lego and ... just Lego really

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Very clever things are going on in Legoland. I like them but I mostly just watch videos and visit a few sites once in while, like Lego Ideas. Here's fan who made a Soyuz rocket. He's looking for support to get it on store shelves.
legacy.png

JK Brickworks makes great custom sets and Jang reviews everything. Technic sets and Mindstorms kits are quite entertaining, like Sariel's Bricks and Pets and Lego Mindstorms robots. All the sets that ever existed can be found second hand at Bricklink and collectors even have Lego investment websites.

Here's a set that made my jaw drop a few years ago. The deeper you dig in, the more complex it gets. Like a camshaft, a drivetrain, differentials, and a working compressor.
Arocs.jpg
A thread for Lego fans.

Ideas is cool but if the Soyuz gets enough votes after the Saturn V, ISS, and recent shuttle kit not sure it get past the review board. There have been a few Mercury and Gemini Models that got 10k votes and didn't get approved iirc.
Also check out brothers-brick.com, Bricknerd.com, brickset.com as well

In Spring 2017, 2019, 2020, and 2021, we got the Saturn V, Apollo LEM, ISS, and Space Shuttle Discovery respectively. Here's hoping that trend continues with another space set in 2022.

I am also a fan of the big Technic sets. The last one I got and completed was the orange Porsche 911.

I frequently find the Ideas results disappointing. Lots of great space ideas have gotten 10,000 votes and gotten nowhere.

I was wondering today if Lego was going to make an EV and soon after I found this. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Really hope this one gets green lit. I need one for my office.

Motorized Johnny 5

legacy

Well, I was waiting for thr Titanic to get back in stock, but realistically that thing is just too big for my house or even the GF's house. But the Volvo A60 caught my eye and since we sell Volvo now, I figured that'll have work tie-ins...

Well, I was waiting for thr Titanic to get back in stock, but realistically that thing is just too big for my house or even the GF's house. But the Volvo A60 caught my eye and since we sell Volvo now, I figured that'll have work tie-ins...
If you sell Volvos, and can display it at work, you might be able to claim the Lego kit as a business expense. 😮

I'm a Lego guy too. The one thing that Lego has done is to totally cheap out when it comes to the astronaut minifigs. How could they have produced such an incredible Lunar Lander set and just recycled the deep sea diver tank and helmet combo? This is what I wish Lego would do. Unfortunately these are out of stock and have been for along time.

If anyone is interested, check out my LEGO blog, "Tales From The Double Decker Couch" located here:
Www.castlelego.blogspot.com
I was a latecomer to the World of LEGO, starting in 2015, but I've gone full-bore since. One of my specialties is building and photographing comic strip MOCs.

Brickmainia does some awesome stuff, but even with LEGO's economy of scale that much printing would drive set prices up significantly. Even with the new "adult" sets they are still primarily kids toys.

Build it with superglue, toss in some black powder motors, and make it so No. 1....

I mean, seriously, has anybody ever done that? I'm betting the answer is yes.

1642602041075.png

Brickmainia does some awesome stuff, but even with LEGO's economy of scale that much printing would drive set prices up significantly. Even with the new "adult" sets they are still primarily kids toys.

They now have many scales of age rating, with some sets that would be very boring for younger kids. What I like about them is how easy it is to make mechanical models, without requriing a workshop and oil and welding and tool and such. How else could I have built a differential in my living room! Pretty similar to rockets in my view. Both can be as simple or complex as you want them to be.

Build it with superglue, toss in some black powder motors, and make it so No. 1....

I mean, seriously, has anybody ever done that? I'm betting the answer is yes.

I've never actually weighed a Lego set, but I suspect they'd be too heavy. You'd need Level 1+ motors to fly even very small rockets. No build will ever be as light and slim as a model rocket with purpose-built parts. There's at least one model in the Scratch-built Section here with Lego parts attached.

I've never actually weighed a Lego set, but I suspect they'd be too heavy. You'd need Level 1+ motors to fly even very small rockets. No build will ever be as light and slim as purpose-built model rocket parts. There's at least one model in the Scratch-built Section here with Lego parts attached.
Well, the Lego Saturn V has been flown, so such things are possible....

Back