Lego and ... just Lego really

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see Lego do a M41-A Pulse Rifle full scale... and kit versions of the Cheyanne Drop Ship and the APC from ALIENS. I've seen builds on YouTube, however they don't seem to be kits.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Lego do a M41-A Pulse Rifle full scale... and kit versions of the Cheyanne Drop Ship and the APC from ALIENS. I've seen builds on YouTube, however they don't seem to be kits.

Don't hold your breath on that. Lego does not do modern military or violent movie stuff. They will only do violence if it's distantly historical (old-school Ninja theme, medieval themes) or if it's fantastical (Star Wars or Lord of the Rings).

Don't hold your breath on that. Lego does not do modern military or violent movie stuff. They will only do violence if it's distantly historical (old-school Ninja theme, medieval themes) or if it's fantastical (Star Wars or Lord of the Rings).

All the more reason to scratch build them...

Here's someone who makes tanks:

Edit: Oh, K'Tesh already had a link to another of Sariel's models.

Last edited:
I have a 6-speed gearbox (with reverse) in Lego, came in a 4x4 kit a number of years ago

One Lego, many Lego.. Lego is the plural of Lego

Someone did the Bible in Lego animation

In the few shows I've done (Brickfete & Bricks in the 6) a French guy had a stream of movies. all really well done & quite funny! But, alas, can't find them right now..

Another gentleman from the QueLug group had a massive (and fully remote controlled!) R2-D2 & Wall-E http://bazmarc.ca/

And thanks to this thread and too much time on the Reddit Lego Technic sub, I’ve now purchased a Volvo EW160, the rough terrain crane, and the F150 Raptor…
My checking account is not happy…

And thanks to this thread and too much time on the Reddit Lego Technic sub, I’ve now purchased a Volvo EW160, the rough terrain crane, and the F150 Raptor…
My checking account is not happy…

A marketplace to give hope to your checking account:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page(allows you to sell used Lego pretty easily)

A marketplace to give hope to your checking account:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/main.page(allows you to sell used Lego pretty easily)

Oh, I’m familiar with the site. My boy’s cat knocked over a couple of my Lego Expert Builder sets a while back. Had to order some replacement parts. Good news was the parts were all available. Bad news was I had to get them from several different sellers, so shipping added up to the same amount as the parts…

Just a fun Lego story…

When my eldest son was about 10, I picked up some Lego Mindstorms robots a school was clearing out. He, of course, was fascinated and spent most of the school holidays making robots that followed lines on the floor and other cool projects.

Flash forward… He turns 30 this year and is a robotic engineer at an engineering consultancy.

🤖 Way to go, Lego!

Lego made me the mech designer I am today! :D

My favorite Lego story:

Mid 70's, 1975 if I recall (I was 8). Mum & Dad emigrated from England about 10 years prior. so, there was always a Christmas parcel from 'over there'. this one particular package contained a Lego kit. I would get one or two a year. it was was more popular in Europe than here.. and on Christmas morning, I unwrapped Lego set # 565: Lunar Lander!! Holy bad word for a n 8 year old! what an amazing set!

I poured over the box, wanting to build it, but knowing it would take a while. And being Christmas, the present opening, other toys, and soon the family visits & such would start.

And I waited thru teh day.. the anticipation! Following mum & dad around till finally bed time.. Being 8.. bed time was around 8pm.. Sigh, never got to build it... Still under the tree. Waiting for the next day..

But at about 4am (or 3am or 12..) I was up.. That lego kit!! No lights on in the house.. I quietly crept into the living room, and found the kit, pulled it from my pile.. Not wanting to draw attention, i turned on the Christmas tree lights..

Slowly, the box was opened.
Slowing the instruction book was opened.
Slowly the parts came together..
Slowly the kit revealed itself, over a few hours, under the Christmas tree, lit only by the Christmas tree!

To this day, as I rake thru my many many blocks, whenever I come across a blue 2x2 wedge, or a 1x6 block, I'm reminded of that kit.

1642733034252.png

I think the most impressive Christmas set I got was the "Galaxy Commander".

6980_main.jpg

What can I say, it made me the galaxy commander I am today. 👾

Last edited:
I would love it if Lego launched a new theme in the style of their old-school sci-fi sets.

Looking back, I can probably blame this set and the late-90's/early-00's ninja theme in general for becoming a weeb. My Japanophilia started with me falling in love with the samurai aesthetic because of these sets.

Flying Ninja Fortress.jpg

I have two Lego minifigs of Lego employees: they are their business cards!

At one show, we did get t talk to a few of the designers. And at one point they did ask if there was anything in particular they should be thinking about. My suggestion was to have a rotating advent calendar. They have three standards: City, Star Wars, and Harry Potter / Friends. I would love to see: one year they do classic space, the next they do castles, the next they do Ninjago, etc.. (Despite the abundance of 1x1 or 1x2 plates in the advent calendars, they are a good source for minifigs & a few other little "things"

I was born a decade to soon for Lego's. When I was a kid The Gilberts Erector Sets ...

Looks like Meccano. I had a Meccano set but not the patience required to twist bolts. Looked something like this:
Vintage-Meccano-Sets-3-and-Army-Multikit.jpg
Now they look like this:
https://www.meccano.com/en_us
Dropped out of Lego before the first sci-fi sets.

The only mini-fig I currently have is Benny. He almost made it into my Smurf story but I couldn't nail how.

Looks like Meccano. I had a Meccano set but not the patience required to twist bolts. Looked something like this:
View attachment 500864
Now they look like this:
https://www.meccano.com/en_us
Dropped out of Lego before the first sci-fi sets.

The only mini-fig I currently have is Benny. He almost made it into my Smurf story but I couldn't nail how.

They've both been around a long, long time... Meccano (UK) 1898, Erector (USA) 1913

I spent hundreds of hours building stuff. The fact that it had a motor you could use made it that much more awesome.

Erector Set (trademark styled as "ERECTOR") was a brand of metal toy construction sets which were originally patented by Alfred Carlton Gilbert and first sold by his company, the Mysto Manufacturing Company of New Haven, Connecticut in 1913. In 1916, the company was reorganized as the A.C. Gilbert Company. The brand continued its independent existence under various corporate ownerships until 2000, when Meccano bought the Erector brand and consolidated its worldwide marketing with its own brand. The coverage here focuses on the historical legacy of the classic Erector Set; for current developments under the "Erector by Meccano" brand name, see the Meccano article

I love Technics. I love Lego. But the new technics beams I find hard to incorporate into [my] traditional builds. So, sadly, I tend to shy away from the newer technic kits..

I did build a 'tech ball' robot with the technic beams, but do need to revise the design. (Got a 1st at teh last show!)

my first technics set 850: Forklift. That taught me a lot about rack & pinion steering (all my MOCs had that afterwards!) and I loved making linkages with the pins & beams

1642783797533.png

@dr wogz that is an awesome Christmas story.

Rumor has it that we'll be seeing classic like sets in the creator line (ie pirate ship and castle) in the immediate future, but no other plans to revisit the legacy lines.

Yes, I've heard a few 'classics' will make a [revised] return, to satisfy us old AFOLs!

Pirates never when out of style. Castle has morphed over the years, but the yellow classic castle is to make a return, from what I recall

I also remember plying with a ship in the bathtub: kit #311. It had a net ballast keel, and teh hull was 4 pieces

1642800419886.png

Back