Lego’s New 9,090-Piece Titanic Set Is Now the Largest Model Ever Created

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing a 1 month build for a lego model like that?

I'm guessing a 1 month build for a lego model like that?

My wife built the big Hogwarts set (71043) in well under a week, and that one is 6,020 pieces. You would be surprised how fast a sufficiently into it adult builder can go. She even hummed the theme song from the movies the whole time, and did some dialogue for some of the minifigs. I still don’t know if it was cute or disturbing.

But you can't see about 9/10ths of it when it's finished, and it needs to be kept cold, otherwise it just seems to get smaller.
That's an issue with a lot of the big sets, cool interior detail that's never seen again once built. The big Saturn V is that way. But it's cool knowing if I ever get bored I could gently take it apart and examine the detail.

Tony

That's an issue with a lot of the big sets, cool interior detail that's never seen again once built. The big Saturn V is that way. But it's cool knowing if I ever get bored I could gently take it apart and examine the detail.

Tony
I was referring to the iceberg... ;)

I just drop it on the floor when I want to see the insides again. Worked for the Saturn V anyway ...

I just drop it on the floor when I want to see the insides again. Worked for the Saturn V anyway ...
Oh that method worked so many times, for my Saturn Vs, that the last time it happened, I swept up the bits (literally, with a broom)... Took them to my local favorite restaurant/bar... ordered a drink, and a burrito, and had it rebuilt (without instructions) in, IIRC, less than an hour and a half. Something about building/rebuilding the same kit 12 times makes that kind of thing possible.

I now know what to buy for a HP Stan. Now I have to find out if she has one already...

Even not being terribly into HP I think it is a pretty impressive set with some pretty clever sections. The Diagon Alley set (75978) is a good, big (5544 pieces) option for the HP fan as well. However, I didn't think it had as many of those cleverly built sections as the castle.

One detail from an in depth review I read (part 1, part 2) is that you build the model in three sections, which isn't too surprising, but after construction they easily come apart to reveal the interior. You can see in the picture above w/ the engines that there are several alignment pieces, and then in the center is a column of gray & black 2x3s w/ rounded end and hole (part 3176) or similar. That lines up with similar on the adjacent section and then there's an axle that gets pushed in from the deck to lock them together, which can be easily removed to pull them apart and access the inside again.

For me the set's too big and too much $$$ for a static model, but it's definitely a masterwork of LEGO design.

titanic-connect.png

For me, (and being a devout Lego fan / AFOL) I say m'eh..

Super kudos to the kit, to the theme, to the designers, and to the initial proposal model. An outstanding effort by the Lego group. (The engines are way coo, very well done. and the link pin holding the two halves together...)

But just not my thing. Neat, scale, cool subject. but big to display.. And when it does up in the scrap pile, it's mostly all little 1x1 pieces & tiles.. Hard to use in other builds & creations..

It is impressive like the real ship but well out of my budget. From the reviews I've seen it's really well engineered.

I love that the interior has rooms and great big working pistons.
It wasn't long after the construction of the Titanic that the big ship builders switched from the steam-piston engines to the steam turbine on the majority of new construction.
This resulted in much faster ships.

Is there a joint at the expansion joint where the Titanic broke in half?
Would be cool to have a model of the Titanic as it sits at the bottom of the Atlantic.
I can see the instructions now...
With the remaining left over pieces, just scatter them behind the ship in a line...

As a kid, I've had a few of the Renwal plastic models consisting of a few submarines with one half hinged to open up for seeing the interior detail. Also had the Visible V8. Anatomical models of the human species and animals were also among their line. These and other models from this manufacturer were very interesting kits. Plenty available from online sources.

I don't recall the mfg, but my mom got us a invisible hose model that we had to assemble all the internal organs and even a bit of skeleton, IIRC. Pretty interesting way to learn about your pet...

Not quite sold out: "Pre-orders closed, limited quantity available for backorder starting 11/8." And they can "Notify when in stock". Maybe they're being careful with production numbers because no one wants to keep a large box like this on store shelves for years.

Back