Led

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealdesk

Reaction score
I want to install some LEDs in my payloader for a night launch in the near future. What is the best way to wire them up? I found some super bright leds at Fry`s Electronics. But I have no idea how to wire them up, so a basic schematic would be all I would need.

There are two parts to a LED, a cathode and an anode (hence, the word diode in 'Light Emitting Diode). You need to hook up the positive side of the battery to the anode. Sometimes, the anode will be the longest wire sticking out of the bottom of the LED. Or if that's not the case, the cathode side will be where the base of the LED is flat.

They should work both in series or parallel.

Hope that helps!

Oops! I almost forgot. Don't forget to include a resistor in your circuit!

Originally posted by stealdesk
I want to install some LEDs in my payloader for a night launch in the near future. What is the best way to wire them up? I found some super bright leds at Fry`s Electronics. But I have no idea how to wire them up, so a basic schematic would be all I would need.

They've covered hooking up pretty well.

If you want self-flashing LEDs you can use those.
I get mine from Sundance Solar, and my all-in-one battery/led/switch/timing control modules (1/2" square) from Hobby Lobby Int'l for $5 a pair (red and green).

The lsdiodes site (with the proper url mods) will yield a wide selection of ultrabright LEDS. Get them as bright as you can afford :)

LSDiodes www.lsdiodes.com is by far one of the best places to purchase High intensity 3mm and 5mm LED's at very reasonable prices. Be sure to down load the led specs for those you buy, you'll need some of the info to determine the best resistor(s) to use to maximize the number of Leds per string and battery power required. Another good source is Super Bright Leds. www.superbrightleds.com
I've switched all of my Night Launch Vehicles over to 3v lithuim cells. Very light weight, Great current rate and very long storage life. AlliedElectroinics www.alliedelec.com have single and double cell holders for CR-2016 & 2032 - 20mm coin cells with solder lugs that are perfect for model rocket applications, surface mount type 1061 and 1062 make the power package small, light and rugged.
Here's a look at the wiring for 24 leds in a UFO. Hope it will help.

Back