Quantcast

Led Zep fans - did they or didn't they..............

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Rip off Spirit for the guitar intro to Stairway to Heaven?

This report misses the point by not plying the intro......
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...n’-copyright-trial/ar-AAhxJpz?ocid=spartandhp

Go to 0:44 here:

[video=youtube;gFHLO_2_THg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg[/video]

And when all is said and done, who cares anyway...it just a riff.And a short one at that.
At 0:18 it sounds like an old Jethro Tull flute riff....
Rock music is totally derivative from everything else that came before it, you can hardly keep track.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's a little similar, but not stolen. It's not close enough for me to award them anything if I was on a jury.

Cabernut

Reaction score
Rock music is totally derivative from everything else that came before it, you can hardly keep track.
That, it is.

Ive been a big Zeppelin fan since the late 90s. Waaay back when I played guitar(I had an Epiphone, which itself was a "ripoff" of a Fender Strat), I would would think I came up with the coolest riff, only to hear it somewhere else and realise Oh, that's where I got it from...

A riff is one thing but lyrics and most of a song are another story.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score
There's only so many notes...
i did see Jason Bonham's Led Zep experience and I know in my heart I can say i heard Kasmir performed live. Even the singer nailed it. Just had to close your eyes.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Big fan here, cannot seem to work up the energy to care if it was ripped or not. Clearly they assembled an amazing song that stood the test of time, from where ever the parts came.

Peter Olivola

Reaction score
Rock isn't the only derivative musical genre. Most of classical, and especially baroque, has just as much "borrowing."

AfterBurners

Reaction score
Not even close!!! Jimmy Page is a rock god and he doesn't need to rip off any music from any band....Led Zepplin rocks the world!

majordude

Swimsuit Model
Reaction score
I was watching a Pink Floyd movie about the making of Dark Side of the Moon. I remember David Gilmour saying that it's not a bad work for only having three chords.

I laughed but it's kind of true. There are only so many notes... at some time they probably get repeated.

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmmmm, The other morning on NPR they interviewed a "Forensic" musicologist who pointed out that introductory riff goes back in time to the 1600's.
He played some of the pieces on guitar and I knew right then and there the case would be dismissed. The similarities were very striking in some of the
old classical pieces of music. I suspect both parties stumbled on it by coincidence. Kurt

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
There are lots of YouTubes dissecting the issue. Here's one from the 17th century..

[video=youtube;zKpbJ5Kjy2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpbJ5Kjy2I[/video]

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmmmm, The other morning on NPR they interviewed a "Forensic" musicologist who pointed out that introductory riff goes back in time to the 1600's.
He played some of the pieces on guitar and I knew right then and there the case would be dismissed. The similarities were very striking in some of the
old classical pieces of music. I suspect both parties stumbled on it by coincidence. Kurt
+1

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Not a Zep fan, I acknowledge the genius of the band. These ludicrous lawsuits are one of the many things wrong with this country. Did they or didn't they? Who really gives a rats a**??

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Well, that's clear...the person who wants money for Randy California and the lawyers.

rocketheads

Reaction score
All music is cobbled together pieces of others works, ideas, etc....aka inspiration. Boom.

Look no further than our National Anthem...just ask a Brit.

Zep rules the planet...dueces up....fist of rock...peace out.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I heard about the trial last week but haven't heard any more. The hardcore fans were more upset that Page debunked the mythology about where they wrote the song.

thequick

Reaction score
Jimmy lifted dazed and confused from Jake Holmes. Well, never gave him writing credit after reworking the song... I get the feeling Jimmy might be full of himself.

Amanwhocan

Reaction score
I have been a Zep fan for many years, I have listened to both pieces of music and can hear a little similarity, but not enough to get excited about. They are obviously different.

The real question for me is this - If Spirit were so convinced that this was the case - why did they or their fans not mention this at the time?
It was released in 1971 !!!!

hball55

Reaction score
Like Kit said, not no but hell no! I also don't think Robin Thicke stole fom Marvin Gaye.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like Kit said, not no but hell no! I also don't think Robin Thicke stole fom Marvin Gaye.
That one seems a LOT more likely to me. It's pretty much the exact same sound, unlike this Led Zep claim that only sort of sounds a little like it.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of a review of Yes' Relayer album in 1975 when the infamous music critic Robert Hilburn said that "Soon" from "The Gates of Delirium" sounded like Barbra Streisand's "Memories". One hears what one wants to hear, I suppose...

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I thought music copyright law was pretty clear -- X number of notes in succession, something clinical and not interpretive. I could be wrong.