LED beacons as nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
Possibly not truly odd-roc, but I'm not sure where this might better fit. I'm playing with ideas for lighted rockets for night launches. I picked up a couple of LED beacons off of Amazon that I think could be adapted into nose cones.
WP_20200321_18_32_34_Pro.jpg
The red on is about 3" and the green one 4". They both have screw-on battery caps, which I think can be epoxied into a tube coupler to make a shoulder. Here's what I'm thinking for design at the moment:
4in Beacon.jpg Rudolf.jpg

I once did something similar with a strobe light normally used on life jackets. It worked very well.

With the newer, brighter, LEDs these should work great.

I would recommend some kind of light on the booster, in case you have a separation.

Yeah, I was thinking of that too. Our night rules specify each part having a light, I think. I haven't decided how I'd do that though.

Honestly, I have no idea who made them - there's no branding on them. I didn't look for anything smaller. I'd imagine that the diameter is driven in part by the battery box in the bottom. In both designs, they are as small as they could be around the batteries they use (2 Ds on the green, 3 AAs on the red). So if there is something that much smaller, it would have to run on significantly smaller batteries. Three AAA batteries would probably drive something around 2.25" in diameter, so its possible.

Back