Learn Everything the Hard Way Department: Old Can of Spray Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do I have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?

Lesson learned: If you want to use a 13 year old can of spray paint on a rocket, first test the paint on a piece of cardboard or something to make sure it does not spray in blobs and spit out flecks of paint.

:-(

It's OK, I just covered the specks with paint from a fresh, new can of spray paint.

IMG_5407_cropped.jpg

IMG_5408_cropped.jpg

Another problem is that companies change the composition of their paint and sometime the new paint isn't compatible with the old paint. Having specs in the paint is relatively easy to fix but I have one rocket that no matter what paint I try to put over it, it bubbles. I'm eventually going to have to sand it down again and paint it with acrylic. The first paint on this rocket might have been done 50 years ago.

I've had so many cans of Rust-o-leum 2x come out like flocking for a Christmas tree that I now spray a couple second blast into the air. I also switched over to just plain Rusto. But I must have 80 cans of 2x from full to almost empty.

Did you warm up the paint by shaking it and then placing it in hot water for 10 minutes before using it? I have yet to have issues, even with old paint, when following this procedure.

The paint I used last week on my Columbine rocket was over 3 years old...

And the paint used on my Rocket Sled Rocket was 10 years old..

Off course... YMMV

Last edited:
... Tear off those nozzles and keep them ...
Enamels clog the tips, and there's nothing I can do about it. When it happens, an old primer nozzle works every time.

A good idea to keep the spares. Try clearing the nozzle when you finish spraying- turn the can upside down a spray for a few seconds. That may save you occasionally.

Do I have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?

View attachment 473152

You're in good company.

BTW, that's a great stand !!!

I've had so many cans of Rust-o-leum 2x come out like flocking for a Christmas tree that I now spray a couple second blast into the air. I also switched over to just plain Rusto. But I must have 80 cans of 2x from full to almost empty.

I bought a can of plain old Rust-oleum orange enamel. Works fine except for long drying time. Just not many color choices. :)

Did you warm up the paint by shaking it and then placing it in hot water for 10 minutes before using it? I have yet to have issues, even with old paint, when following this procedure.

Off course... YMMV

Going to try the hot water trick. Thanks!

A good idea to keep the spares. Try clearing the nozzle when you finish spraying- turn the can upside down a spray for a few seconds. That may save you occasionally.

I bought a bag of spare spray can nozzles to account for situations when a spray can nozzles clog up:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254115250582

I pop them onto cans to rejuvenate the spray. However, if a can clogs one nozzle, it's highly likely it will clog the replacement as well.
QC on spray cans is utter and total crap, but at least having spare nozzles allows you to finish the job without having to run off and shop for a replacement can.

I bought a can of plain old Rust-oleum orange enamel. Works fine except for long drying time. Just not many color choices. :)

I used to love Rusto orange color, but found that particular pigment formulation to be hyper-sensitive to ambient humidity, temperature, and a dozen of other unknown variables. If the conditions are not perfect, orange Rusto starts bubbling and alligator-skinning with no warning.
After years of frustration, I'm now only using Dupli-Color and Tamiya orange spray cans.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...1&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&kw=tamiya

HTH,
a

P.S.: Spraying the can upside down helps with some, but not all spray can paint types. I am yet to figure out which types are which.

Last edited:
P.S.: Spraying the can upside down helps with some, but not all spray can paint types. I am yet to figure out which types are which.

Youtube video guy says (so it must be true) that the old style, small, button like spray paint can nozzles can be cleared by turning can upside down and spraying. The newer style nozzles, such as those on Rust-oleum 2X, are designed to spray at any angle and so cannot be cleared by turning can upside down and spraying.

BTW, that's a great stand !!!

[sheepish proud grin] I was hoping someone would notice my totally homemade model rocket painting stands. Yep, I am pretty proud of my paint stand made out of four wire coat hangers. I had a need for a cheap, portable, model rocket painting and drying stand a few years ago and this is the solution I came up with. Just bend 4 wire coat hangers at right angles. Tape them together into a "plus sign" shape. Unbend the hooks. Voila. Model rocket painting stand. At least for lightweight model rockets.

I can confirm that rusto enamal with the big button nozzle will not clear when turned up side down.

If you're putting rusto over another color, try putting down a super thin layer of primer first.

The dual 13mm cluster motor mount with the glue drying. I put in far too much wood glue. I could not get it out. Solution? Patience. I am just waiting for the glue to (eventually) dry. That motor mount is not going anywhere, that is for sure.

1626648802806.jpeg

Attachments

• dual_mini_motor_mount_too_much_glue.jpg
    dual_mini_motor_mount_too_much_glue.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ever notice that the many primer cans that we burn through, never have nozzle issues?

Tear off those nozzles and keep them, before you toss the can.

Enamels clog the tips, and there's nothing I can do about it. When it happens, an old primer nozzle works every time.

To clear a clogged spray paint can nozzle, this recently worked for me: Soak in plain nail polish remover (100 percent acetone) for one minute. Run hot water over it. Blow it out. Unclogged. :). I used the cap of the nail polish remover bottle as the “soaking dish”.

Off course... YMMV
You do that every time with every can?

To clear a clogged spray paint can nozzle, this recently worked for me: Soak in plain nail polish remover (100 percent acetone) for one minute. Run hot water over it. Blow it out. Unclogged. :). I used the cap of the nail polish remover bottle as the “soaking dish”.
Doesn't the acetone melt the plastic nozzle?

You do that every time with every can?

I do indeed. Even with a "new" can, you never know how long it's been on the shelf. Ever stir paint in a can when it's cold vs when it's warm? Viscosity changes with temperature. Heat soaking it in warm water helps to ensure it's a uniform consistency when you spray it.

🖌 YMMV... "Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom... 🖌

Slightly off topic, but if you find yourself with many a partial can of spray paint, set up a shooting gallery in your back yard*(pellet variety). Boys and I disposed of a dozen or so cans set up in front of a cardboard backstop "canvas", and commenced to release our inner Van Gogh's......when popped with a pellet, the cans jump and release their contents rapidly while flying through the air, distributing much of the remaining paint on the cardboard.

Wish I'd taken pictures now!

*We live where this is legal, so, YMMV.

I keep a jar of acetone on the bench and whenever I finish painting or using CA type glues I pop off the nozzle or tips and toss them in the jar. When I need a nozzle or tip I fish one out and wipe it off. Before putting it on the can or bottle I blow a little canned air thru it and it good to go. Every now an then I give the jar a shake to help stir things up and I replace the acetone about once a month. I usually do 3 lite coats of whatever color I'm doing the first 2 I'll use cans that have been used before but for the final coat I always use a new can. I also have a holder that fits into a recip saw and will give every can a good (3) minute shake with that thing. So far so good :)

1626791770756.png

Attachments

• 1626791770844.png
    1626791770844.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 5
Back