Leading Edge Laminations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since we're leaving for LDRS in a week, I've give up on getting the paint job on my L2 rocket I want. I still want to put a laminate over the leading edges of the fins. I tried to put a layer over the edge tonight, but one side or the other sticks but not both.

I'm sure someone out there has tackled this already. Any suggestions on how to put a laminate layer or two on the leading edges of fins that are already on the rocket. It's flown twice already, only to 600 mph. I would like to fly it on a K1050W and will be Mach+ so I want to make sure the leading edges are sealed.

Honestly, you don't need to. Unless you're going something like M2+, you won't have the slightest bit of trouble. I've flown to 1.7ish with just standard T2T laminate and it came back flawlessly.

Aluminium tape!, Also gives you bonus reflection of sunlight to assist in recovery

Aluminium tape!, Also gives you bonus reflection of sunlight to assist in recovery

Yes, that's what I did for my L2 cert flight. The real "duct" tape. I was going to go back to that if I couldn't get a good laminate over the leading edge.

It did flash a lot in the sunlight on the way down.

Last edited:
Honestly, you don't need to. Unless you're going something like M2+, you won't have the slightest bit of trouble. I've flown to 1.7ish with just standard T2T laminate and it came back flawlessly.

Thanks... I'm glad to hear that. I hate over building and if I don't need it, I really don't want to put it on.

Back