Lead nose weight to be banned

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manwithbeers

Reaction score
:( Looks like Canadians are going to be looking for new types of nose weight soon.
Just last night I was adding some pencil lead to my new foam cone to adjust the CG/CP on the new rocket. It's the weight of choice and sometimes the only option for me by density.
Looks like the Canadian environment ministy will be introducing legislation to Ban the sale manufacture and import of bare lead weights and fishing lures.
Being in a region that is well known for fishing (Commercial and Sport) even the local gas stations all have 100's of pounds in stock. It will make a real impact around here. I wonder what the real alternatives are? It seams like a good idea. Lead's is not a good thing in the environment. I'm a fly fisherman anyway. :rolleyes:
I guess I'm going down to stock up as it were on my favorite lead sticks at the Canadian Tire.:eek:
https://www.cbc.ca/storyview/CBC/2004/02/17/sinkers_jigs040217

I never bother with lead anyway, unless space is at an absolute premium (like nose weight in a small glider). I prefer to use BB's in epoxy, which can be siphoned through the small hole at the base of plastic nose cones (just push it through with a small dowel if it won't flow).

On an unrelated note, I once had a scout mom (who was inspecting pinewood derby cars at check-in) tell me that my son's entry was illegal - because we had glued BB's in as ballast. "The rule is, no ball bearings".

Fortunately we got it straightened out and he was able to race. :)

you could use BB's, I believe there are two kinds copper and steel

I use BBs also. They are very good noseweights. use Daisy Maxspeed BB cal. You can get 6K for $5 at W-Mart. You have to be over 18 to buy em, though. They are considerd "ammo":rolleyes:

Lead wieghts for fishing wre banned in the U.K. over 10 years ago.There is a substitute available which works fine but im not sure what it's made from:)

Originally posted by arthur dent
Lead wieghts for fishing wre banned in the U.K. over 10 years ago.There is a substitute available which works fine but im not sure what it's made from:)

Here in the US, lead has been banned from birdshot so there's no lead in the birds you kill and eat. Bismuth has proven a good substitute. It's almost as heavy as lead but costs quite a bit more.

I was driving down a major highway in Detroit a few years ago and a 100# billet of lead fell off of a truck in front of me...wayyy in front of me!

I now have a lifetime supply of lead!

sandman

I use steel washers when I need added weight. Or in the case of a plastic NC, I use clay. My other bad habit (International Defensive Pistol) forces me to melt down all of my lead into 230-grain .45 ACP wadcutters.

You Canadians could buy a box of component pistol bullets. Little .32 s or something that you could use multiples of if necessary. Even .223 rifle bullets would work.

Originally posted by rbeckey
You Canadians could buy a box of component pistol bullets. Little .32 s or something that you could use multiples of if necessary. Even .223 rifle bullets would work.

You Americans think guns are the answer for every problem... :D

Ammunition purchases in Canada now require a firearms permit that I've heard is on par with the LEUP for cost and application process. Now, if someone already had such a permit, ammunition might be a great source for nose weight, with ejection charge powder as a useful byproduct. I have no idea what ammo would cost, though. Certainly more than the 250g Canadian Tire split-shot fishing weight assortment pack.

If bullets are available without case & powder (I don't know, are they?), I don't know if they're available without a permit.

Justy,

Yes, you can get the bullets only for reloading...that way you don't need to worry about powder or permits as they usually are not required for just the bullet.

I have often thought of getting a bag of #7 shot just for rocket weights. 25 pounds would last several generations, I'm certain. Anyway, If Justy or someone else wants to split the cost and pay shipping, I can't see how it would be illegal to send lead BBs in the mail. A pound or two would last years, and the tiny pellets would be perfect for epoxying into a NC for weight.

When I said pencil lead I was refering to lead sticks roughly the size of a pencil. Makes adding weight easy. The sticks are 1/4 inch rods.

Justy. Buying bullets is not ammo unless they are primed and loaded for a gun. Copper jacket bullets are not a good alternative because they are expensive. You can also buy Black Powder without the permit. As long as your 19.

BB Shot, That would work but also hard to find because that was banned a while ago.

I have a friend who makes balls and slugs for his muzzle loader. I asked him where he gets his lead. Fishing weights of course.

Hmmm...

My bag of #7 shot is all going into just one rocket...in fact, I need to buy another as I have already been tapping into this one for other projects.

Hmmm...

Carl

When I said pencil lead I was refering to lead sticks roughly the size of a pencil.

Gee, I knew what you were talking about...I call 'em pencil sinkers...they don't seem to snag the weeds as much as the teardrop ones.

I like 'em for balsa nose cones. All you have to do is drill a hole down into the nose cone and stick the sinker in the hole, cap it with some glue and you're finished.

I guess you have to be a fisherman to understand the venacular.

:D

sandman

I got some lead strips at my local hobby store (Hobby People) that was designed for use in pinewood derby cars. It's self-adhesive, soft enough to bend into whatever shape I need, and marked for easy cutting.

WW

Back